Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: alarm recommendations

Thanks

Default alarm recommendations

Basically can anyone care recommend a rock solid,reliable system/brand with the least chance of false alarms.Some features I am after are,

*All hard wired
    *16 zone panel
    *Dialer
    *Panic button (Fob)
    *Remote Key Fob
    *dual tech sensors or anything better,also some rooms will have lights switching on and off occasionally as well as temperature fluctuations.
    *Smoke alarms

Also need to be able to purchase in Sydney.

TIA,
    Mick

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Solution 16+ is dead sexy reliable, and does all u want
    Das NX also good.

I think the codepad on the solution 16+ is better though :P

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keef82 View Post
    Solution 16+ is dead sexy reliable, and does all u want
    Das NX also good.

I think the codepad on the solution 16+ is better though :P

I agree. This is the panel i've started using for small systems.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

Another vote here for the 16+

Love the graphic LCD code pads.

Thanks

Thanks guys will check it out.I am using a system at the moment with an lcd keypad.After a few months of use the lcd became illegible with portions of the readout missing.Are they all prone to this type of thing?

Now about PIR's,is there any particular type/brand that are the ducks nuts? Afterall it wont matter how good the panel is if the sensors are sub standard.

Thanks

No, a quality LCD should not deminish at all.
    I would use Bosh Detectors with your Bosh panel.
    The Blue Line range is amazing, i would use the "quad" as a minimum, and a dual tech for any harsh areas, such as garages.

Thanks

Thanks keef82

With this install I want to make sure its as solid as possible so all the PIRs will be dual tech.......what about tri tech,a gimmick or a lot more stable than duals?

Thanks

Quality cable will help, min 14/020.

7/020 is ok, but can damage easily when running through roof spaces, especially when they get snagged, hence leading to false alarms later on.

Banned
    Thanks

Quality products needs quality installation too...
    I had a client's lounge PIR going off everytime the garage door opens/closes...
    Another client's vib goes off everytime the bathroom fan turns on...

Thanks

What sort of money would I be looking at re instal?
    8 PIR's and 3 smoke alarms
    Wiring should be a breeze as existing wiring could be used to pull new cabling through.

Also would it be worthwhile using tritech as opposed to duals?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MickP View Post
    What sort of money would I be looking at re instal?
    To do yourself or pay someone to do it for you?

Thanks

Sorry to pay to get it wired...... it was to do with this quote "Quality products needs quality installation too..."

Thanks

You will need to give us an idea of the house, structure, levels etc.

Mainly how many levels, construction type (DBL Brick, Brick veneer etc) and if the roof is tiled or sheet.

Thanks

Well, Dual tech is "PIR + MICROWAVE" Tritech is basically the same, with a microprocessor controlled analysis.

I would use Quad's for a domestic, no real need for anything more.
    I have the Rokonet Quads in here (3 LED model) they have not false alarmed ever. Have Intellisence Dual's in the roof, never had an issue.

That's the PIR. (they were installed when i bought my house 4 years ago, bosh blue line was not around then)

Hope this helps.

Also as george stated, use a good cable
    If ur keen, u could cable it all and save some bucks too

Thanks

Wiring should be a breeze as existing wiring could be used to pull new cabling through.
    You sound like a sales rep that has never cabled before. LOL

As for your detector requirements kind of depends on where you live, if you live in the tropics i would recommend ceiling mounted detectors to avoid false alarms from Geckos etc. Also have heard duel techs can false alarm in humid conditions. Rockonet detectors are simple but very reliable so i would consider them also.

Looks like you want 11 zones so you will need to zone double the panel with the recommended systems. With this remember you need N/C smokies so check this before you order.

I prefer the NX range but also like the Sol16+ because of the LCD keypad.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Keystone View Post
    You sound like a sales rep that has never cabled before. LOL

As for your detector requirements kind of depends on where you live, if you live in the tropics i would recommend ceiling mounted detectors to avoid false alarms from Geckos etc. Also have heard duel techs can false alarm in humid conditions. Rockonet detectors are simple but very reliable so i would consider them also.

Looks like you want 11 zones so you will need to zone double the panel with the recommended systems. With this remember you need N/C smokies so check this before you order.

I prefer the NX range but also like the Sol16+ because of the LCD keypad.

Thanks for all the info/suggestions so far.

No not a sales rep Worked as a sparkie and then with telstra(telecom) for years but that was years and years ago so I know a bit about cabling.

What is zone doubling?

Based on recommendations so far can anyone point me in the direction of a supplier in Sydney? I noticed someone on ebay sells all that bosch gear.

Thanks

What is zone doubling?
    It is when you use one Input terminal on the board to control 2 individual devices. They are generally differentiated by the value of the end-of-line resistor at the devices.

So on a board that has Inputs 1 to 8 physically available, you can now double the capacity of that board to accommodate a further 8 zones without additional expansion boards.

So zone 1 is also zone 9, zone 2 is also zone 10 etc until you reach zone 8 which is also zone 16.

Thanks

I see.I was under the impression that its best to use one device per zone with the exception of smoke alarms?

If an expansion board was available for the bosch unit recommended I would prefer to go that way.Or perhaps even cut the PIR's to 7 and maybe wire 3 smoke detectors N/C in parallell if that would be an acceptable method of course.

Thanks

I see.I was under the impression that its best to use one device per zone with the exception of smoke alarms?

If an expansion board was available for the bosch unit recommended I would prefer to go that way.Or perhaps even cut the PIR's to 7 and maybe wire 3 smoke detectors N/C in parallell if that would be an acceptable method of course.

Your right, should only use one device per zone but you are still doing this with zone doubling. Just using the one terminal on the panel for both zones/ devices.
    The Solution16 is really just an 8 zone panel that can be zone doubled.

If you were able to reduce the number of zones you could do as you suggest and have 7 detectors & have the 3 smokies on the 8th zone.
    Because this scenario is not zone doubled you can use the N/O smokies in parallel. (not N/C in parallel as you mentioned)

Oh yeah, you will need to order latching smokies if running more than one on the same zone.

Thanks

Why not look at the MCM range of panels (a darn site cheaper then the others and comes with a 5 yr warranty, ONLY ever had 1 panel faulty in 14 yrs), it may be old hat, not much has changed in 20 yrs, but well you don't need to say more en that.

Paradox proxpro pirs are the go, just open the metal cover inside and change the jumper from 1 to 2 pulse's, other then that we have a shed load out there on 1 pulse, you CANT do that with many pirs,

Also if you need to go with Duals, try the Intellisense (ADI, aka Ademco aka Honeywell) DT7435, you will NOT find a better detector for false alarm immunity, or better catch performance, just remb to change the freshnel (as it comes in pet friendly mode) and turn the microwave down to 40-60% depending on your required coverage...
    Or for a bit less the FX40 are ROCK solid, but expensive for a PIR, the alarmcom ir150 range were good and like the blue line range from bosch, they have removable front cover making it easy to replace, I hate the stoopid screw lock though, I haven't used enuf of the blue line range to comment, but we just put 12 in a skool block the other day, so time will tell.

I prefer the Pulnix (Takex) 6810/12 range, we use them on all commercial jobs, never miss a beat and superior coverage for a pir with Minimal false alarms, but 3 times the price of a pir and double that of a Dual...
    same with their ext pirs and beams.
    Because I live out of town, I don't like false alarms, cost me for armed patrol response every time.

we also use and have done for 10 odd yrs, the system sensor 2012 smokies, you wont find a better smokie around for the price, they are reliable and we have used a shed load of them over the time as well. They have inbuilt sounder also, so can set the panel to silent for fire zone and just have the inbuilt sounder and scr going so not to annoy the neighbours, otherwise most panels have a fire tone which isn't the loud screeching tone like a burgular tone.

Do it Once and that's it.

Hint:
    Make sure your cable entries are sealed (less you got a detector with sealed optics)
    If your a noob, read the instructions in the box, it will help,

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast