Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223

Thread: Dealing with *some* Ebay sellers!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 580 Posts

Hmmm. Time to get a refund... Thanks.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Oh...they're predictable...eBay that is ; they're some of the most devious sellers out there ; it's all predictable and logical...well, understandable, part of their system automation...it still shouldn't happen.

I'll roast their peanuts later about this, just for shits and giggles.... I mean to say, if you want to see a process derail itself, despite my warnings it was all getting weird...look at this;

This all started when the seller with the bogus lights didn't respond at all, to any messages, and I asked eBay to step in and fix this deadend.

I get this email on Aug 10th

I rewrap the package, get the PO to print out the label, and the item is in the mail for return on the same day, Aug 10th.

Aug 16th rolls around, and I get this message;

When I follow the eBay 'take action' link, and end up on the page where you enter the austpost tracking number, the ebay system says 'no such number', but when I enter the same tracking number into austpost tracking, it comes up as in-transit like it should.

I get into ebay chat, and explain the above to the operator -- they quickly check the case and tell me not to worry about it, she can see they issued the return label and already have the tracking number, and I don't have to do anything. I remark that's 'reasonably stupid' to send a member a message saying you have to do something, when in fact you don't ; ebay chat operator agrees.

You know what happens next of course.... Aug 20th rocks around, and I get this message;

Oh #ffs ... back onto ebay chat again today, point out case erroneously cancelled - they already had/provided the tracking number in the first place.

Which is absolute bollocks - the seller never agreed to anything ; the seller never responded....and AFAIK still hasn't!

Hmmm...I've been waiting for the ebay system to somehow break ~ I wonder if being a paying ebayplus member, affords me any bigger a steel mug, to rattle their cage bars with? There would be only one way to find out.

I wonder if I can't legitimately argue that the ebay buyer protection policy, is not as described, and differs significantly from the description of being 'hassle/worry free'?

Hold my cappuccino..... this might be fun =)

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Johnno (21-08-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 580 Posts

Hey, Thanks for the Info - I ended up getting a refund on my bogus usb adapter I purchase.. I just followed your instructions and contacted eBay via the chat explaining the seller didn't respond at all.
    After a few days my Paypal has a credit and I get to keep the wireless 300mbps usb adapter. Bonus!

Cheers..
    Last edited by Johnno; 21-08-20 at 08:51 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Johnno For This Useful Post:

wotnot (22-08-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

If you even want to shortcut the ebay monkey cue --> customerhelp_au@ebay.com

That email address is reasonably obfuscated on the eBay site ~ in fact I think the only place you can find it, is somewhere in ebay policies&guidelines

So if you want to contact ebay (the seller), that's the address to use.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Johnno (22-08-20),lsemmens (22-08-20),VroomVroom (05-09-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks

We've all seen this before -- seller does not send to PO boxes.

If you have a PO box --- for an additional $16/year, you can get a combined residential & PO box service from austpost that gives you a 'suite' address....ie; if your PO box number is 1234, you can enter your address as Suite 1234, [post office street address] ...and that doesn't get counted as a PO box address --- it's the postoffice street address with redirect to your PO box number.

The $16 annual fee is on the same billing period as a PO box (March or so each year), so it's best done at PO box fee renewal time...ie; if I paid $16 -now-, that runs out in March as well...(so I'd be throwing away 6months worth)

Just FYI as it were...local PO manager is a pretty sharp girl =)

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Johnno (26-08-20),lsemmens (26-08-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Oh! They're back!! ...but this time, the entire site is a redirect to an ebay store, and they no longer sell LED lights...fancy that =)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Now it's on ... this would be a ramification of the ongoing covid19 situation -- this post is specifically slated at those ebay sellers that claim the item location is in AU, when it actual fact it's likely in CN or somewhere.

I'm only exampling one item here, but there is bound to be others -- and in keeping with my ongoing narrative of regarding ebay shopping as some bizarre RTS online game...for real, using real cash and actual goods...what you're looking for here (your quarry), is a seller dumb enough to play the odds. I have a second example that could be -applied- to ebay, as a consequence of me buying an item 'direct' from a website, which I later found out wasn't shipped from where I thought it was...and said online seller also advertises on ebay as well.

Here's the first example -- this is a reader participation thing, as ebay search results my vary with locale ...but here I'm speaking relative to AU... search ebay for 3 ROW Aluminum Radiator for Ford F100 F150 F250 F350 Bronco V8 1983-1997 89-97

See all those listings? AFAICT ...that should be 'we' can tell, 'coz it's not my Bronco and I'm not the buyer... -none- of those items are in Melbourne AU ; we've tried to buy one. First attempt (seller had 1 left), purchased cancelled as seller said problem with stock, could not deliver : 2nd attempt, different seller, 8 sold/more than 10 in stock...same shit, order cancelled. I was speculating the same item for $600+ 'sounded about right', if you added DHL shipping so item got here by the expected delivery date...but even in that case, it would be 'item not as described', and so you could claim that via ebay easy enough up to 50% partial refund ..even easier if it doesn't get here 'on time'.

Problem is of course, radiator is needed ASAP....but as I mentioned to the buyer..."Look, try them all -- if you can find one of them stupid enough to not cancel the order immediately, even if it's late getting here, you'll get 50% back for 'not as described' ...else, tear ebay a new one"

I always see when I discover the item came from somewhere other than where the listing states it is, as being a discount marker =) Even when it does get here on time ; seller breaks guidelines&policies, seller pays, even if it didn't inconvenience you in any way.

The other example ... this...

I bought one of those direct from the piccircuit online store in Malaysia, as it worked out cheaper that way, but I'd wrongly presumed they were an agent with local stock, which I hoped would shorten delivery time from the device's home locale of Germany --- woeful mistake and woefully late, as the item arrived in an envelope from Germany =)

See...that'd be one of those cases where I should've used ebay instead, because it did arrive late, and didn't come from where item description said it was - it is what it is ; sometimes, knowledge costs -- I'm wiser in retrospect.

Still mulling over my wording of email to ebay about their buyer protection policy being...IMHO.... a something (service) that is not as described, and which differs significantly from item description. Yeah?...they can't dodge this, I've got records of their own employees/operatives agreeing with me. The only way I think I can bleed any recompense from them, is offering them a resolution of one year's free ebay-plus membership =) I'll take a $50 gift voucher I can use on anything ; if they offered the same back at a redback or more without me saying anything, I'd probably say that's fair...I'm musing the line that reads 'it was not a carefree and easy experience at all, quite the contrary - I found the whole process intimidating, and so I thought I'd send you this intimidating email to even the score =)' ..I'm wondering if the smiley should go or not
    Last edited by wotnot; 09-09-20 at 06:16 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Order today, and....

Damn beerworm =\(

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

How are you finding the ebayplus membership is working out?
    Would you recommend it?

Delivery times are all over the place atm. I ordered some new Hdds the other day and they were here in less than 24 Hours. That surprised me given all the talk of postal and courier backups. Ordered 4 new printers and same thing, here next day and I ordered them after business hours the day before. Impressed.
    OTOH, stuff from the other side of Shitny has taken over a week and more than once and it was locally stocked.

• The Following User Says Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

wotnot (29-09-20)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

EvilBay related but not really eBay! I ordered some bits for my bike about a month before I left but they didn't arrive unil I was camped at my daughter's place in Brissy. Son picked them up and posted them at our local post office (using a priority sachel) on Monday afternoon. Bugger me if they didn't arrive NEXT MORNING!!! This was from Riverton SA (600 people in the town and 1hr north of the city) to Dinmore in Ipswich, so neither PO was exactly at the airport!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

wotnot (29-09-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    Would you recommend it?
    As I surmised, ebayplus is what I would call a 'product' that's aimed specifically at a particular ebay buyer, and more so that not that particular buyer would be a woman.

If not for the $50 discount to join their $50/year ebayplus service, I doubt I'd be as well in the black as I am now -- however, if I shopped at Coles online for groceries, were into fashion accessories/sales, shoes, kitchen appliances, wine&spirits etc etc, one would be rattling up huge savings for the initial $50 joining fee.

It's definitely -not- for everyone, and I can possibly entertain the thought that ebayplus may change/disappear in the future just because of the dangling carrots and painted plywood facades...ie; get 15% off (if you spend more than $100), get 30% off on 'selected ebayplus items' ....subject to T&Cs...which you better bloody well damn read before hitting that 'buy it now' button, or you'll find yourself buying something you'd only buy with the advertised discount, only to find that discount doesn't apply.

You do get this, which tries to 'personalize' the shopping experience by giving you a number to ring;

And if I hit the 'find ebayplus items button', 99% of the time you hit a page like this;

Uh-huh? I'm pretty sure they added the word 'metro' to the free express postage claim...I think...but either way the perceived covid19 mail disruptions etc et_al would've put the mockers on that, and I'd be inclined to say ebayplus is more aimed at metropolitan dwellers than not -anyway- ...us folks in the rural sector, are not so lucky.

As the first time join $50 discount means this is a more or less 'free' one year trial of ebayplus to me, to be fair I'll give them the 12months before passing final judgement, and see what carrots they find to dangle in front of us with the upcoming festive season, new years sales market points =)

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    EvilBay related but not really eBay! I ordered some bits for my bike about a month before I left but they didn't arrive unil I was camped at my daughter's place in Brissy. Son picked them up and posted them at our local post office (using a priority sachel) on Monday afternoon. Bugger me if they didn't arrive NEXT MORNING!!! This was from Riverton SA (600 people in the town and 1hr north of the city) to Dinmore in Ipswich, so neither PO was exactly at the airport!
    Dinmore? Famous place squire, humped many a bag or cement out of there =) Done quite a bit of chainwire fencing around there in the late 70's too.

I can plot the austpost logistics to Dinmore to help account or explain for the irrational behaviour of austpost actually delivering on time... <grin>...one of their main sorting facilities is 'just down the road' at Redbank Plains (a lot of courier/logistics operations have base depots there)...stuff flies into BNE, and then truck from there down gateway motorway thence onto Ipswich motorway and you can be at Redbank Plains in an hour. If their automated sorting system is working, it would've forked off your package for local dispatch, as the have a lot of austpost vans stationed there to service the collection of industrial businesses around that area (Wacol etc)...as far as the Qld end goes, you were in the right place at the right time

Just don't expect it to happen again =)

lsemmens (27-02-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Rather unexpectedly but at that right time of year, a whole new set of queries start rolling in wrt "can you get some more of those LED lights?"....the ever popular 48W or 80W LED lights that aren't that. This is happening 'coz old'mate down the front who's JD tractor I fitted out with said lights, has been seen by all and sundry from the main road, when he happens to have that unit out in a paddock in the dark -- it really is bright with 7 lights hanging off it. As far as tractors go, multiple 20W lights is actually better in practice, as you can point the beams to cover areas you need/want to see...there can be such a thing as 'too much light'...alas, this is another story and I digress.

Diving back in ebay and looking for these lights again, some many months later, I can't help but wonder if the last big buy of items not as described (from many locations & locales) has had any 'impact' upon the marketplace and sellers of such things -- answer is, a resounding 'no' ... such things matter aught in the ebay marketplace, but what is a marvel is coming across listings like this one ;

That's out of Melbourne too... that's outrageous ..the 'order of ten markup' ...although if the image is accurate, that'll be the 32W version (16 x 2W LEDs), which are brighter than the 20W versions, with leads to mentioning well known brandname/product reference to explain that extra brightness, to help conjure some justification for paying ten times more than what the actual product is...I wonder how many ppl fall prey to this sort of thing.

Now that I'm 70% or so through my first (free) year of ebayplus membership, would it be worth continuing the the $50/yr premium to be a member? At the now, for myself, I think the fiscal answer tends towards 'no' or at best, a break-even scenario. As said before, if I were someone else, lived metro, shopped at Coles and a few other big name stores, then answer might easily be 'yes' ...you'd easily save more than $50/yr.

As I'm a pensioner, live rural, and don't chop at Coles or any such stores, I very much -do- have to figure in how much time the ebayplus free expresspost shipping has saved me...ie; if I'd have had to pay for that postage option, I'm well ahead on money saved, and I likely saved 2 or 3 weeks altogether, the difference between here in 2 days or here in 2weeks. Obviously, pensioner and all, the time factor isn't a pinch, but the 'convenience' of fast&free shipping, has a very tangible worth.

A paypal tip -- when transferring funds between friends&family (free service), -do-not- include the word 'payment' in the message text ; someone else not me (friend) innocently did this, and the xfer was flagged for suspension pending human review =)

At this stage, I think I've saved just as much so far, haggling item not as described with sellers .. time to buy more lights

hinekadon (08-04-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks

A picture tells a thousand and a half chars...lol....

Ebay have revamped their feedback form, and they're taking comments...you can see that below, 499char each, bewdiful'mate...

But seriously, will this change matter? It'd take some kind of nutter like me to see a 500char limit like a challenge in which to get my point across?...

...well, yes perhaps...but... can we even begin to imagine what 500chars represents to some buyer who want to go off they're frigging nut at the seller...hahaha...

Lights tested as below, got 25% back, lot of 10 units, $3/each...three bucks...you end up treating them like bulbs ; when they blow, you just replace the entire light =)

Anyhow, image of ebay feedback comment tells the tale;

,,,fodder for the jokes section that =)

hinekadon (08-04-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks

...haha....if you load up an ebay page right the now, you'll see this...

Note the ads at the side margins are missing?

I did that =) ..or rather, that appears to be ebay's immediate reaction to my nicely worded email to ebay customer support about said ads, which seem to be advertising space on ebay pages, proffering from google links...

...I'll let things run their course, and come back to this.

Johnno (14-07-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks

...lol... I was talking with my housemate about all this, he'd noticed the ad as well (having built himself exactly the same thing a few years ago). He laughed when I showed/told him why the ads were down.

Anyhow, some of you here would've seen me foist this image in the Jokes thread a few weeks ago...here it is again;

Like, no comment from myself, because the image enough is one that brings a chuckle to anyone who knows what they're looking at... AS IF a rewound MOT for the purpose of making an electric spot-welder, have ANYTHING to do with allegedly saving you up to 90% on electricity bills....we laugh at it, it's a joke, and anyone gullible or not savvy with electrical stuff will get duped of their money and believe the thing works 'coz it has flashing lights....we know the drill.

Time for another image ...here, I'm technically focusing on the thumbnail image of the youtube video ... watch it if you like foreign accents speaking English with rather unique annunciation/inflection (he still says "bloody hell" in the same way I feel it =)...

Get the picture?..maybe not, at least not how you'd immediately expect -- the first picture here, the joke, it identifies itself as an 'Ad', but nothing in or about that image says it's a google ad, now does it? Well it is, and google owns youtube.

So...we have a google ad displaying on ebay pages selling a so called power saving device (which is a scram/ripoff), using images like this, 'farmed' from youtube creators/contributors video thumbnails...nice little chopshop going on here, clear to see.

Now, I don't know the guy at all, but do admire his knowledge and sharing of same via youtube videos, and I'd make a reasonable guess he wouldn't exactly like his creative work, being used to proffer sale for a false gimmicky power saver device, so I did email him a FYI that this google ad via ebay was doing exactly that.

I got to thinking, and as mentioned 'some bay sellers' actually includes ebay themselves, because they're sellers of their site, should they be allowing such fraudulent ads on the ebay site, that 'exploits all ebay members, particularly those without knowledge of electrical devices'? This being particularly so, now that I have drawn your attention to it. This part is in the transcript thus;

Code:
    02:30:26 UTC ebay
    Thanks Don for waiting. I appreciate your time and patience. I have checked your mail and the screenshot you attached in mail. I appreciate your efforts to report this instance. I would like to inform you that this ad is published directly from google and it is not the advertisement of eBay.If you click on this ad you will be redirected to other third party website. Apart from this, I have also noted down all the details and forwarded the details to the dedicated team so that they can take further corrective actions. In the meantime, you can enable popup and ads blocker in your browser so that you cannot see any third party ads on eBay.
    02:31:35 UTC me Not the point -- other members will be scammed by this ad if they don't know about electronics
    02:35:14 UTC ebay
    Don, I appreciate your valued efforts to remove the ad. I do understand this and I would like to inform you that I have already forwarded this detail to the dedicated team. Once the team review, it will take corrective actions on this ad. We also inform our valued users to enable Popup and ads blocker in the browser so that they don't get any third party ads on eBay to protect them from misleading advertisements.
    02:36:38 UTC me
    Okay, thank you for your time and help...do be aware though, I will *not* be blocking popups --- if I did that, I'll never know if your dedicated team 'did their job' =)
    02:38:08 UTC ebay
    Don, Once again I appreciate your valued efforts to remove the ad and bring this misleading information to our notice. Rest Assured, our dedicated team will review it and take corrective actions against this ad.
    Not hard to tell when you've pushed the limits of what they'll divulge, and at present I've yet to hear back from them officially...on the other hand, actions speak louder than words. That was about the only angle I thought would draw any credit...ie; draw ebay under any duress expressed under the charter of responsibilities it has regarding/towards it's members...that's you & me =) They cannot knowing let this sort of shit to continue, it's a real hornet's nest when you start poking it with a stick.

Like...supposition, m'kay ... whatever it is, it's about making money from a bullshit device, that scams ppl of their money...and this device, along it's marketing chain, gets auto images generated from thumbnails of youtube vids, to be hoisted as google generated/sponsored ads...on ebay and no doubt other online selling platforms? So....who owns google again? China perhaps? Or are google services being exploited in such a fashion?

Common sense -- if this cranky 60something year old man can notice something like this going on, surely...SURELY....someone else not me should be flagging this crap before it reaches the masses....and yet, here we are. The 'someone else not me', is of course google themselves, as they (or their software) generated the ad and hoisted it on ebay. More common sense - this won't be an isolated example.

Scam device or not, did the original creator of the content used for the ad, get paid for sales generated by ppl on ebay clicking on that ad banner? How much 'monetized' content on youtube is funded by scams like this?

Of course I don't think the ads suddenly disappearing an hour or so after the ebay chat took place had anything to do with me, it's just a coincidence, ebay are always changing things up =)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    Would you recommend it?

Anniversary update -- saving total after 12months = $95 (it's not hard to get back the $50/year membership cost -- monthly $5 discount code for anything, special discount offers of $10 on selected ebay-plus items). The express-postage for all ebay-plus items has saved me maybe 6weeks in waiting for delivery time).

At this stage I've renewed the membership -- I am saving month per annum.

Pity george65 is no longer around to see this ; I do hope he's ok?

Premium Member
    Thanks

First time ever this has happened to me.... and stands as a warning to others who may have bought similar units....

The safety report itself is and as you can see, the advised remedy for the unsafe situation is 'Destruction of product'.

If you're wondering how a UK safety report reflects back into AU, it's because we use the same mains supply (240VAC/50Hz) and most all of the British standards have AU/NZ equivalents.

The email from ebay continues with...

So ebay will provide a full refund, and the unit must be destroyed ~ ergo for the seller to do so, means they would have to pay postage to have the unit returned to them, to be destroyed.

Of course, now that one knows exactly what is wrong with the unit, you could rework the earth wiring and make it good (but running it behind a dedicated GFCI powerboard would be a prudent move =)

Thus you need a nice bit of wording for the seller....ie; 'I have received notification from ebay that the item is faulty and not to be used, and to contact you for a full refund. I understand that the item must be destroyed, so if you can provide me with a return postage label I can send it back to you. Alternately, if you provide a full refund, I will happily destroy the unit myself, thus saving you postage costs. Please advise how you wish to proceed '

I'm still waiting for reply, but my guess is they'll swallow the bitter pill...

## got a full refund, seller advised to cut off power lead and throw it into ewaste.. =)

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

ammlione (04-09-22),lsemmens (05-09-22),mtv (04-09-22),Reschs (04-09-22)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,147 Times in 1,058 Posts

I checked mine today. It came with an Australian standard IEC Lead.
    Checked continuity from earth pin to chassis and all Okay. ?

• The Following User Says Thank You to Reschs For This Useful Post:

wotnot (07-09-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reschs View Post
    I checked mine today. It came with an Australian standard IEC Lead.
    Checked continuity from earth pin to chassis and all Okay. ?
    It'll be a knockoff of a knockoff for sure, and is likely limited to one batch (MOQ 1000units and maybe 1 to 5 units). You get this over and over again with Made in CN stuff...power supplies, MPPT solar charge controllers, DC-AC inverters, the list goes on and on. Typically some CN manufacturer makes a 'good' designed product, they get out in the wild and get good reviews and are good value for money, and then some other (or the same) manuf. either drops their quality through the floor to maximize sales profits.

When I get a chance I'll pull the covers off and have a look, and see if the cited report is reflective of what I have here....

Reschs (12-09-22)

• Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223