Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Dealing with *some* Ebay sellers!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Personally speaking, I admire the ebay platform, as an example of 'uncompromising design'. When one sits down and thinks about what they've accomplished ... setting up a global marketplace, that transcends many jurisdictions and international boundaries, locale consumer laws and standards, everything et cetera et al, the paypal system...it's truly applaud-able. The fact they can do this, on such a global basis, and still apply their guidelines and policies in an umbrella like fashion, is really testament to how meticulous the overall design really is ; I tip my hat =)

Daleks are also examples of uncompromising design, it's why they appear here metaphorically =) Vlad the Dalek is a blue Dalek... this is his driver's license photoID

He's getting all sorts of uppity and started mentioning the E word, because just one of those online sellers hasn't pulled the target image from their website...which one? GUESS....yep, the one up here in Brissy. Remember I mentioned there was the possibility of an eyeball meeting with that seller?....damn Murphy, you can't get me with that one...letter's already printed, buy a nice envelope for it, go for a little drivies as soon as covid19 restrictions lift...brush up on my Polish accent in the meantime...

Back at the ever active skirmish line, the email runner has just fired in a report;

I bought 3 pairs obviously, because these MUST be the genuine article, because they coop with ebay NO FAKING WORRIES Campagin ...right?...

I just -know- lsemmens has been waiting for this one =) It is of course, the most logical next step. When you've got more than one ebay agent communication indicating that A. no such campaign ever existed, and B. one agent or more saying that sort of listing composition was definitely against policy...then, why has nothing obvious changed? Everything else on ebay seems to work with remarkable computerized tiktok speed and consistency, and one would expect the agent's confirmation that such things are deal with in a 6-24hour time frame, to be entirely true -- can and do ebay react that fast? Shit yeah...doesn't take them long at all to jump on sellers, look at the recent toilet-paper gouging in example ; ebay can move like wingers sure enough.

There is an answer, it goes back to my original exchange in the ebay ticket, at the point their response got to them being 'open to suggestions' in relation to the matter I raised. The sort of...legalesed English they use, is drawn to sublime interpretation. Being 'open to suggestions', for instance, I may take to mean my suggestion is they all crash&burn as a result of selling things not as described, and further, I will demonstrate this to you in real time, due to the fact the suggestion itself can only be proven, by actually doing it and observing the results.

I heard somewhere the ebay employ over 5000 marketing data analysts' in their operations, some data-points get overlooked...many, many times. In a way, myself making ebay aware of what's going on, and how one (or many) could use that as a 'legitimate' buyer strategy, in itself makes them aware of an inherent 'hole' in their system. Whatever...the one line, as I pointed out before, can be interpreted in so many ways... 'We really appreciate your kind understanding on our policy and guidelines' ..read that, multiple times, as terse and inflected upon words, deriving each word down to maybe the 2nd or 3rd definition...kinda like Cleese going on in that sketch .."To BE or not to BE", or, "TO be, OR not to BE" ... =) If you're interested to how much of all of this is 'scripted' in affect, do a google search on those words in italics. The closing line they used was 'We wish you all the best. Thank you for being part of eBay!'...same again, except often in English, the use of the words in italics there, are projected forwards, positively, in time..ie; 'we wish you all the best in your future endeavours' or such and similar. I am part of ebay - I have become the dark side!

Not really, secret shopper with a company approved purpose, but I think it's just a balance, neutrality - sellers want to hang themselves out to dry, so be it. They let the sellers get away with displaying the description/image they do, and they let the buyers take advantage of the case where sellers don't follow the rules. This whole shamozzle works by precedent in example...that, is my first ticket number. So now I can say with all certainty you can buy these lights, and get 50% back, not a problem. Sellers that re-price their stock higher, put themselves higher than the cost you can buy the same thing from supercheap or where-ever, and any seller who sells them at the right price, described correctly, will do okay.

In the end... from a CVS or database perspective, all they had to do was link my ticket number, back to every item listing of that type = problem solved. Now everyone is covered, if they check what they're buying. You get 50% back, keep the lights, if the seller agrees, if not file a return/refund claim with ebay, and you'll get full refund, and seller has to pay for returns. I only argue to point of description regarding Ohms Law, where a 50% partial refund gains basis. If you wanted more than that, based upon tacit evidence, you'd have to 1. do the Ohms law stuff and then 2. do the claimed IP65/67 check. Which they will in all likelihood fail, which really doesn't matter anyhow because we've seen what a tear down looks like, and what you're gunna have to do to make them into 'good' lights....so meh, yeah...that'd push it to differing significantly from item description to the turn of 80% or so.

However, these sellers are out to lunch, really... if you're going to get this pissant particular about things...

I can do maths, too...I measured 1.87A @ 12v on previous tests, and that's 46% of 4.07A, ergo, I'm gunna want a 54% partial refund, 'coz they're stupid enough to quote a possible wattage range of 45.6w to 50.4w ...instead of other sellers merely claiming 48w.
    On top of that, it suddenly brings to light, the 'no faking worries' angle, and the moment they they concede that position, is the moment the other sellers of these lights come into focus with the same image. As it turns out, all of those sellers left, are asking $75/pair or more for the same lights, unlike this one down at $21/pair in multiples of 3..which will rough out to $5/light or such -- 50% partial on a $75 outlay doesn't work for me, however, the use contact and go straight to ebay anyway method does, although this time...I'll be requiring full refund, and if they want to pay for return postage, and earn an ebay seller black tick in the process, so be it...their call. If they made me an offer down to actual near value...ie; $65 partial refund/no returns, I would take it...however unlikely that is to happen =) Bizarre as it may seem, those sellers also need to be contacted first, before contacting ebay, because that's the guidelines and policies...you end up in the position of saying "look, not as described, I'm going to ebay and ask for full refund, you pay return postage, unless you can offer me a better resolution?"....that's how matter of fact it gets, replete with dangling question mark.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (13-05-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

So the other thing about *some* ebay sellers like this, is often is the case they sell *you* as well...that is to say, they sell your email address. It's incredibly hard (nigh on impossible) to actually prove to the point of hard evidence, however it's easy enough for the individual to prove for themselves, Myself (and most folks I know) maintain multiple email accounts/addresses ; I have 6 I keep active, but I might burn through that many again in a year as alias/temp accounts...depends on what I'm doing at the time.

I noticed, after buying on ebay from (in particular) HK or CN sellers), around 1 to 3 hours later, I would get items of email spam.... and, they wouldn't automatically get pushed to the junk folder, they appeared in my inbox.

To track this, I set up a GMX email account, and just let it sit there...for literally months, and over all that time the account saw zero junk/spam email hit it...in fact the only email it ever received, was from GMX themselves regarding T&C updates.

Then I went and changed the ebay/paypal contact email to the gmx account, made a couple of purchases, and sure enough the spam started rolling in on cue. I'm sure a lot of folks are aware of this (or at least suspect as much), so if you're ever in any doubt about things like this, now you know how to test the hypothesis. As said, it's too difficult to discern exactly where in the chain the email address gets passed on, but it's relatively easy for oneself to prove the case their email address *is* being siphoned off somewhere.

Thanks

It is fairly easy to track who is 'sharing' your email, just use the + function. Most mail suppliers support it. Basically of your email is madtech@mailprovider.com you could use madtech+dodgyebayseller@mailprovider.com as the email you use for dodgyebayseller. Any emails to this will appear in your normal inbox, but show the + bit. You can then easily see the original sharer / seller of your email address.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madtech View Post
    It is fairly easy to track who is 'sharing' your email, just use the + function. Most mail suppliers support it. Basically of your email is madtech@mailprovider.com you could use madtech+dodgyebayseller@mailprovider.com as the email you use for dodgyebayseller. Any emails to this will appear in your normal inbox, but show the + bit. You can then easily see the original sharer / seller of your email address.
    Normally speaking, yes....using ebay's contact/messaging system...no, that doesn't work =)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

@ wotnot , I had my own dodgy ebay seller issue last week- Back in Feb I bought a pair of cheap spotties for the 4by -

only $77 , I don't believe in putting expensive spotties on a car in case some unemployed flog wants them for his crummadore. They work real well for the money and have a 2 year warranty , winning . All was fine till a few rain events when one of them started filling up with water and stopped working. So I lodged a case with the seller - he first wanted a pic of the faulty one , then the good one , then both together , on the car . then he wanted a photo showing the voltage reading going into the faulty one. I obliged and sent them what he wanted , no worries. Then he wanted a video of me swapping the lights from one side of the wiring harness to the other !!. At this stage I told him I was unable to hold the camera and video myself unbolting the lights and swapping them over at the same time. So he refused to help further. I told him that the failure is obviously because the light filled up with water , as per the first photo , to which he replies that moisture inside a light fitting is normal! clowns.... Then I told him that since they are advertised as using Osram chips , and I could not see the word Osram on the chips' face , that they must be fake , and i'll report him to Ebay for selling fakes. So he has decided to send me a new pair
    and when they get here i'll just run a smear of silicone around the lens joint , problem solved
    There is a "military style" breather on the back but that made no difference to the water ingress.

• The Following User Says Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

wotnot (18-05-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

They work real well for the money and have a 2 year warranty , winning .

Ahh, yes...warranty claims ~ that's a different aspect altogether, which is governed by Australian consumer law (ACCC). You're probably aware of the concept of dodgy sellers selling items with a warranty that can never be met, but the actual company/seller entity dissolves into the ethos before any warranty claims can be made, and you're left with no-one to make a warranty claim against. You can read all about this here ->

Of course, today I'll start with the barmy army song..."Here we go, here we go, here we go.." =)

More '48W' LED lights.... now, just to refresh the collective memory, lets look again at what that seller listed in their description shall we?

Read the English very carefully... then think, 'what is wotnot going to do?'.... what it says obviously =) They haven't actually said that *they* have checked the lights, have they? No no, they're instructing the buyer to check the lights... and by inference, if the lights don't check out, then this seller is indicating, by this description, that I must have bought 'FAKE' lights...right? This will be fun... car battery and multimeter time again...

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (19-05-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Alrighty, after testing one unit (two actually...one's at the bottom of a 20litre bucket full of water =)...I can safely say what I've bought here, are the 32watt units..as in, 16 x 2watt LEDs...

The one on test at the moment, after 30minutes of continuous running, is drawing 1.21A @ 25.6V (nominal 24v vehicle voltage), which works out to 30.9watts

Design differences found so far ~ heatsink fins on rear of case are ~10mm longer ; complete light assembly is 670grams ..that's up from the 515grams measured for this type of light before. As said before and is known, the CN manufacturers offer custom features, and make to a specification target, so these lights are 'the next step up' with this design. A typical example of this, is seller/store specific branding, like so;

I just pulled the one out of the bucket, and it seems to have passed that test....so looks like I better do the IP68 test they're claiming the lights are good for...use the bore water tank for that..

I might even do that with the light powered actually...just to see what the current curve looks like with the thing immersed in an effectively 'infinite' heatsink...

The important thing to note here, is if you do the test to find actual current/wattage, these light will fall -just- within the specs described (using the +/- 5% math)...for about 30 ~ 60seconds ; once they get to normal operating temperature, you'll see the 30~35% lower -true- running rating, not just the cold startup current and wattage.

Now... the readers' question - how many noticed that this seller, *did* change/update the 'no faking worries' image? I would wonder why... time to pull out the bird again me thinks =)

Premium Member
    Thanks

OH!... and Vlad is *not* happy...

lsemmens (19-05-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Never, ever, piss off a Dalek...

I'll keep the CRN out of it for now, but know there was a 4page pdf attachment expounding the whole story, and my favourite sentence was one appearing all by itself on one line .."I do not tolerate ignorance well." =)

lsemmens (19-05-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

"Have you read the documentation?"

"I have tried, but it all looks like chook foot-prints to me"

...scan it into a pdf, upload it to ocrnet -> ooggle translate... and get...

Yes...I see...I'll have to test it on this element right away.. \o/

Earned my ebay brownie points today by setting up a purchase between a seller I can commend, and a friend looking for 2ndhand car parts, all in this fantasy island of ebayland, where all ebay members use the messaging system, and get into ...{insert TAHDAH! } ..Member2Member contact. Treat it like twitter or something. There are no real brownie points of course, apart from those gained in your ebay profile electronic dossier, that demonstrates you're just a cut above your average ebay buyer, and are actively involved in the platform, a model member as it were, with a good and kind understanding of ebay guidelines & policies. Rosan kobah!..form of an ebay market freelancer!

Here's another really interesting description for an ebay item, so blatant it'd make you wonder... well, it'll make any police officers reading this thread really wonder about the wonder of the ebay marketplace;

...and yet --> ...of course they're on that list.

It's one thing to look at ebay's own governance of their platform, it would be another matter altogether to 'police' it on a per locale consumer rights/law basis =)

hinekadon (21-05-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Early Saturday morning round up -- one reason I'm always fair & honest playing the (any) game, is because there's often room to expect the unexpected. One can hypothesize and speculate and theorize about what the seller's motives, if any, might be... but let us always remember that Murphy is always waiting to try and make something go wrong. So...I test these lights, they're 32watt not 48watt, and it's the same ole' wash, rinse & repeat script formal as before, with the usual mix&match of words to suit occasion. The only tacit difference here, is I've got LED lights with 16 x 2W LEDs, instead of the seen before 16 x 1W LED lights of the same type. I'm as honest as the day is long, so these lights are 30% lower output than described, and 30% off purchase price gets a small roundup to a redback for my testing, and I click the send button;

Normal stanza of contact from me with there lights, however, inside an hour I get this reply (and scant minutes later paypal email of the funds coming back in);

....and then the image disappeared from the ebay item page...

...this...

...got changed to this...

...and to put the icing right on top of the meat pie where it shouldn't be, this...

....is now this.....

....and where the listing used to say this....

...it now SHOUTS this...

If you're not already laughing, it gets better -- me being me, I'm sitting there thinking about their reply & request for me to retest the lights at 12.8volts. I figure, 'why not?'...I already have the partial refund, I might as well have another check at that voltage to make them happy, seeing as they've gone 'above & beyond' updating their listing...albeit somewhat stupidly.

So I feed a light 12.8volts, and it draws 3.1amps ~40watts... say what?...up at 25.7volts, it was 1.2amp...~31watts --- wtf is going on here, it must be the DC->DC boost/buck converter...then I recall this in the item description..

So I say to myself "Ok, it's like all the rest with a wide range input, so I'll check where it's drop-out voltage is" , and slowly start winding the volts down (power supply is good to 20A). At around 12volts, the light started occasionally flicking, with momentary current spikes of 300-400mA (and I'm going wtf? and triple checking my wiring & gear), but under 12volt the light starts to dim, until about 11volts.... and this happens, and the light gets really bright again..

...and just as I was doing the mental math to explain what I was seeing with my hypothesis there were 16 x 2watt LEDs involved. the brain went 'heat' and then I touched the light case and it was well north of 60C, and then suddenly I guess the little boost/buck IC inside cried enough, and exploded and fused itself into a short...and now I have an LED light that brightens/dims with voltage, and at 12volts it draws 3.05amps....just like a string of 16 x 2watt LEDs would without a boost/buck converter. =^\

See if I can talk him into a replacement for my die-hard testing rituals....meanwhile, 'Daleks are the Supreme Beings of the Universe'...

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

The fact that they are still advertising the lights as 48 watts says it all - they just don't give a sh*t, neither does fleabay.

On another note I did get a full refund from the broken light seller previously mentioned, and got to keep not only the 4 original lights but the 2 replacements as well, as they also were not as advertised.
    Time was almost up to provide a tracking number for the return of the item, I contacted ebay explaining I couldn't get to a PO to return the item before the expiry date and was advised to ask the seller for a partial refund by the ebay staff member, which I did, as usual the seller ignored the email.
    Then a different ebay staff member closed the case and found in favour of the seller, because my time to provide a tracking number on the return of the items had expired.
    I appealed that and ebay agreed to a full refund without having to return the lights.

That seller's username is .
    Probably shows up frequently when searching for led lights...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Jma For This Useful Post:

george65 (25-05-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

The fact that they are still advertising the lights as 48 watts says it all - they just don't give a sh*t, neither does fleabay.
    That's often the case with *some* ebay sellers, and actually ebay cares very much about keeping their sales taxi meter ticking over, which is *why* they consider/enforce/manifest their actions relative to guidelines & policies like they do ; their only interest, is in keeping sales ticking over on their platform, and in that regard they do very well IHMO.

However, and as I have postulated previously in this thread, the fact of the matter often is a simple case of the seller having absolutely no knowledge of what they're selling, nor the technology involved on which their items are based -- if you want an analogy, think about a person who is colour-blind, trying to write an item description which must describe what colour the item is they're selling ; what chance have they got of getting it right?

That said, I can easily refute the position that this seller 'just doesn't give a shit', and at the same time offer proof that substantiates my postulations that many sellers are basically 'unknowing' in these regards...how? The same seller just got back to me, with this;

Seems like I have a job! \o/

The usual shimmie with this setup, is I get the items posted to me, undertake product testing and prepare a summary report, upon which the seller/trader bases their item descriptions -- then I get to keep the items. This is good =)

While I freely admit that finding a honest and reputable seller on ebay is not so much common place, it *does* happen, and because of that fact, it is both erroneous and to one's own discredit, to 'tar all ebay sellers, with the same bad brush', because in so doing, you exclude yourself from 'opportunities' such as this. This is yet another reason why I -always- maintain a high degree of respect, within the use of proper English, simply because it has always benefited me one way or another ; the moment you get 'personal' about things, and treat them all like a bunch of dickheads, is the same moment you become a dickhead yourself .. if so facto IMHO.

Now I'm working for the 'enemy' ... it surely is a surprising game -- big takeaway from all of this? That one ebay seller I'll be assisting, I can soon personally guarantee will be listing LED light items, with a most correct & tested item description.

This...was what we wanted, yes?

Jma (26-05-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jma View Post
    I think to account for the Minority factor, the correct statement would be the majority of ebay sellers just don't give a shit.

What has been interesting lately is the different responses from the same ebay sellers when purchasing with different accounts.
    A Lot of wotnot has said here has made a lot of sense and been valuable. Taking the experiment further, my results I have had have been far better with my own direct but polite approach than trying to copy Don's.
    Not for a second saying Don's approach isn't best, more that I'm not smart enough to pull it off like he can. I believe his way is the better one, I just don't have the smarts to play it like him.

I did manage to pull off the holy grail one shot refund Today with 3 sets of the mythical 48W lights they had Price jacked to $19 ea. Bought them a couple of weeks ago and haven't got round to doing much due to my up and down motivation at this time of year and being away with better things to do. Opened a not as described case straight off, complained they KNEW these lights were not 48w as I had found reference to them on the net as being illegitimate and asked for a return number as I wanted to buy something that was what is was suppose to be. Added the now well used pics of the lights under test and to my Surprise I got the refund without a response or further messages. I opened the claim Saturday night.

What also surprised me although I probably should not have been was a bunch of Messages I got yesterday, sunday, afternoon. Clearly these sellers are NOT in oz at all and also were probably again the same company under different storefronts.

The same seller is giving me the run around on other items I bought on another account and have come back to them much more Cordially. I'm thinking this may have something to do with what Don mentioned before as them studying our culture and being seen as weak. My natural disposition is to be Calm and professionalbut to leave no doubt as to fking me over would be a bad move and this for me in the written message seems to be as effective as it is in person.
    Probably the approach we are best used to within the limits of acceptability of fleabay is best. That and the fact I'm probably just a piss poor actor.

Another one I got a speedy refund on was one that had been really Fking obnoxious on another account. I went straight to neg feedback, put in a not as described case and got the refund in 2 messages.

A 3rd one I offered a Partial refund solution to wasn't interested and wanted the item returned. I waited a bit and hearing nothing more put in a neg feedback. in a couple of Days they came back saying if I changed my feedback to positive they would give me the refund I asked for. I said lets get this straight, after the Ill will you have shown me you are NOT going to get a positive refund. ( in those exact words. ) I said the best you are going to get is NO feedback at all. Either you are happy with that or let me know to send the item back as I was going to do.

They came back and said I cannot remove feedback which seems correct, I can only change it. That was a couple of days back and they sent me a feedback revision. I have been letting them sit and will come back with if they want a positive feedback then that will require a FULL refund. In for a penny, in for a pound as they say.
    They want me to change the feedback then they will refund but I am not having that and have told them also I do not trust them so I get the refund first or it's no deal.

I have a real moral problem with changing it and my intention is to make it positive but still point out the lights are not as described and say they refunded.

Ironically, I have had a few things not show up. I know this is a popular con and actually feel a bit guilty for putting in these claims but the sellers have refunded without fuss or question. Admittedly they have said they can't find tracking on the items either but I have given them pos feedback and said item didn't show but they refunded with out hassel. I think this China flu is either causing a lot of things to go astray as well as some of these Shifty Crunts taking advantage of it and not sending things.

Some of these sellers are real Low life pricks, no 2 ways about that and TBH, the experience is backfiring somewhat in seeing what a cesspool fleabay is for the MAJOR part.

I doin't think they care much what goes on, what they care about is covering their arses when it reflects back on them or they are called in to sort out the shit that they do not care about unless they are called into it. I see a lot of comments from people that just seem to get broken, mis described and don't get things at all that just seem to take it on the chin and don't complain or lodge claims.

I have a couple of things I'll have to get onto ebay about and I will be telling them I have lost faith in the platform and the amount of fake over rated goods on there.
    It's fun and games buying this stuff knowing what it is but it has backfired in making me realise how hard it is to get what you pay for when you are just trying to get what is advertised. Never thought of myself as being too honest or soft but maybe that's what I am. It's also been a real insight into the Chinese Culture and mentality. Certainly lowered my opinion of them significantly. With the china flu the position is it's the Gubbermint not the people but what I'm seeing the mentality is universal.

Also from what I'm seeing, I get a lot better results playing hard ball with the scamming little bastards than trying to be nice.

I might look at another tack with them and change to buying from China. That will make them I believe a lot less inclined to have things returned and just issue the refunds on their fake crap.
    I did think I was going to come undone at some point and get something that was as described.

That appears to be complete ignorance and naievity on my part. I'd like to come undone like that now just to restore some faith in the whole corrupt ebay shit fight.

• The Following User Says Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

Jma (26-05-20)

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    I think to account for the Minority factor, the correct statement would be the majority of ebay sellers just don't give a shit.
    I do understand that and I agree.
    My comment quoted was actually directed at that one seller & ebay's handling, or lack of, in that particular false advertising issue.
    At least they are now requesting someone to help them test products & it'll be interesting to see if they act on the test results by adjusting their advertising accordingly, or just do as they've done now, make some minor changes that are still false claims to try and make it look better.
    That doesn't make that seller any less of a grub IMO, I think it's just being lazy and/or trying to get the testing done at very little expense or effort of their own.

Some of these sellers are real Low life pricks, no 2 ways about that and TBH, the experience is backfiring somewhat in seeing what a cesspool fleabay is for the MAJOR part.

I doin't think they care much what goes on, what they care about is covering their arses when it reflects back on them or they are called in to sort out the shit that they do not care about unless they are called into it. I see a lot of comments from people that just seem to get broken, mis described and don't get things at all that just seem to take it on the chin and don't complain or lodge claims.
    Woke me up to what ebay is actually like too, I now try to source as much of my online purchases I possibly can somewhere other than ebay.
    It's not always easy and in some instances doesn't appear possible but what I am finding is if a non-ebay website for an Australian based company says 'delivery not available' on something, which appears to be quite common, most times a phone call is all that's needed & they'll go out of their way to help & organise delivery at a reasonable price.
    In the past with some ebay purchases I've not bothered trying to recover money or get replacements on garbage that I probably should have, but instead just threw in the bin.
    Not anymore though, if I get something that's not as advertised or just complete crap I now follow it up.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Jma For This Useful Post:

george65 (26-05-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Not that I'm always so kind - don't think that for a moment. If I get sent something that's totally off the chum, there's is no kindly member2member contact ; I go straight for the ebay 'request a return' button like a flash. You still get to negotiate (if you wish), but typically I'm not interested in keeping the product, and I just want (and get) my full refund. Ostensibly it can be the same amount of 'effort' involved, just less typing ~ it is also rumored the seller gets a demerit point from the backroom as well, but I'm not so sure about that.

Like with the volt/amp meter I bought for the bench supply I'm building ~ turned out to be dud at reading amps, ok at volts...but useless for my purposes ; already have my refund, absolute silence from the seller...maybe it was my YT vid?

Back at the never ending quest for the 'real' 48W LED lights...after that 1 made a sound & somewhat died, I headed over to a mate's place for a bit of the old ultra violence with a band-saw, and he likes the challenge of a 'clean' destructive disassembly task

Had to cut thru the metal case to take the shroud/lense off as a piece..these will do IP68 no worries. I noticed some ran hotter than others, and this'll be because

Even though they have a nice meaty base plate, they've skimped as much as possible on the thermal transfer compound.

I buzzed the circuit with the DMM and couldn't find any dead component, so all I can hunch at is the boost/buck LED driver IC has lost the plot, and a close look at that reveals

It's some kind of knockoff ...not branded, not sanded, the case molding around the index dimple looks hinky...my guess is they're foundry 2nds/rejects ..or weirder.. I should be seeing

...little logo in the dimple, part numbers that lead somewhere (shenzhen =)

As it turns out, the driver IC hasn't died completely - seems it can still buck, but not boost -- the truly ironic thing about that is, now down at 11~14volts, the light only draws 300mA ..so 3 and a bit watts... and at that low power level, it produces a remarkably good touch-light spot beam ..go figure.

Another 20lights coming in the mail....this time, I've bought the 80W types...because twice as much is better, right?

Thanks

Did you Buy from 10-20 Different sellers or a big batch from one?

Premium Member
    Thanks

Did you Buy from 10-20 Different sellers or a big batch from one?

Thanks

I might try some of the Chinese sellers. Probably more likely to give full refunds than want the things back.

Premium Member
    Thanks

I might try some of the Chinese sellers. Probably more likely to give full refunds than want the things back.
    See how you go - I've been avoiding purchases from CN of late for obvious reasons (shipping time & expectations of things arriving are out the door at the moment), but I do plan to tap that source soon. As I mentioned in PM, these lights are being a good and quick earner for me at the moment, and the profits I'm making from ebay sellers who don't follow the guidelines&policies, are easily paying for the hardware required to build the bench power-supplies I'm involved with at the now. You have to pick your target & quantity purchase .. they can sometimes 'backdoor' you...not many of them are a wake-up to this, but I've seen it. For example, if a big player like IMC has a local distribution agent, even though you bought from CN, and depending on the order quantity, they may swallow the --local-- postage costs to have the items returned to the local distribution agent...not return to CN...and you end up with no items but your full refund. You see, nowhere in guidelines&policies does it stipulate then items must be returned to point of origin ~ I've always figured ebay's reason for this, was to facilitate selling operations from overseas players, but not a lot have picked up on this ... some definitely have.

Speaking about the power-supplies, I've been caught out by the other, other ebay seller scam -- item location not as described. As per above, when buying the DPS-50V15 module, I only found one seller in AU out of Melb. listing them for sale on ebay, so I bought from there -- my only other options were from CN, banggood, ebay or anyone else. Then it doesn't turn up, even though other things bought at the same time, from the same location, all turn up on time...well, austpost time anyhow =)

A clear 7days beyond the expected delivery date, I contact the seller, who agrees to send another unit... that was 2weeks ago. Today, the bloody thing turns up...from CN. Bastards! It was never in AU to begin with, and it's polemical at best to presume they've *actually* sent another module...we're talking AU$99 item cost here.

I'm not sure if this is the first time I've fallen prey to this, probably not...but I am sure I haven't had a good natter with ebay about it...I'll see what I can turn up, *before* letting the seller know the originally sent item has arrived.

• Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223 LastLast