Thread: new windows 10 user

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

Default new windows 10 user

Hi All

my old win7 laptop died so I bought a new machine with W10 installed and I have a few questions-

Firstly i'm not very conversant with anything IT related so pls be gentle

I have everything transferred over from the old laptop including emails , photos , etc.

whenever I open an existing word doc it keeps directing me to buy the full version of Office , for $100 odd , by the 29/3/2020. Is this right ? I'll only have read only access to me files after this date. seems like they are forcing you to buy their own product to use to open an existing file!! I did some searching and tried to download Openoffice but that wont run unless I take the damn thing out of S mode. Is it worth taking out of S mode?

which brings me to another question - do I need to buy a new AVG subscription for the new machine , or does W10 have all this included? Is it possible to have AVG transferred to the new laptop?

thanks in advance

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Welcome to the gargantuan list of distraught Windows users.

Mr Google kindly returns the following....

Windows 10 in S mode is a version of Windows 10 that's streamlined for security and performance, while providing a familiar Windows experience. To increase security, it allows only apps from the Microsoft Store, and requires Microsoft Edge for safe browsing. For more info, see the Windows 10 in S mode page.Mar 22, 2019

Personally, I wouldn't have Windows if it came on a diamond-studded gold platter!

Microsoft are intent in driving its Windows users to self-destruction. (See my post of several months ago at ).

Why don't you install the Windows version you have been using (if you were happy with it)?

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (27-03-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

reinstall your older version of office

• The Following User Says Thank You to dai For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (27-03-20)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

You could always take a step up to a decent distro ????? as a suggestion that no-one has ever regretted

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hinekadon View Post
    You could always take a step up to a decent distro ????? as a suggestion that no-one has ever regretted
    Hang on!!! Surely you aren't suggesting ????!!!!

Seriously S mode is a pain in the poo poo and enforces too many restrictions on you, so, yes, you can take it out of S mode, but be aware that it will make windows as vulnerable as your venerable Windows 7.

Save yourself the money on M$ office and install Linux, a) it comes with LibreOffice pre-installed and NO money is needed, b)does not require any anti virus products (for several reasons) and c) is way more stable that anything that M$ has produced in the last 10 years.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

tristen (28-03-20),VroomVroom (27-03-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

thanks to all that replied , i can now update -

AVG was very easy to swap over , after doing some reading all you have to do is uninstall AVG on the old machine and log in using your AVG account on the new machine and it makes a fresh install. I had to take the new machine out of S mode first though. S mode would not let it install anything . well i could download anything but it wouldnt let anything install or actually run. grrr

I then downloaded OpenOffice free for running word docs , and Adobe PDF for running all my exisitng docs.

now happy

• The Following User Says Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

Tiny (27-03-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    thanks to all that replied , i can now update -

AVG was very easy to swap over , after doing some reading all you have to do is uninstall AVG on the old machine and log in using your AVG account on the new machine and it makes a fresh install. I had to take the new machine out of S mode first though. S mode would not let it install anything . well i could download anything but it wouldnt let anything install or actually run. grrr

I then downloaded OpenOffice free for running word docs , and Adobe PDF for running all my exisitng docs.

now happy
    yes i never fall for the linux thing either

they're like Jehovah Witnesses around here, promises of a new world but you die waiting for it
    \
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

• The Following User Says Thank You to Philquad For This Useful Post:

Tiny (27-03-20)

• 12-06-23, 08:45 PM