Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Modern designs that drive you nuts

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hinekadon View Post
    ENF did you just admitt to owning a oil leaker ????
    That was an undocumented feature - the 'visual dipstick'. Any time you parked up...pommy bike, car, truck... you'd always take a visual glance on the ground under the engine, to ensure the 'appropriate' amount of oil had leaked out - too much oil, meant something had come loose ; too little or no oil, meant it was time to add oil =)

If I entertain examples of 'civilized' design, iirc it was the the series 5 Humber Super Snipe - they had a little plate on the firewall that you could remove from the inside under the dash, so you could service/replace the welch plug in the back of the cylinder head ...the Lucas dizzy with graduated knurled adjustment so it was easy to advance/retard your timing, depending on fuel type and whether you were open road cruising or not...an automatic gearbox that would clutch start, and they had torque converter clutch direct drive in '65, took 20years or more for the rest of the world to catch up on that idea.

Those are the sort of things we've lost.... what do we have now?

The use of piece assembled camshafts in interference engine designs with belt/chain camshaft drives...gear drives as less problematic here. These camshafts are a hollow steel tube, which are cooled right down, and the heated, preformed cam lobes are slipped over the tube and held in the correct position, until the temperatures equalize and the lobes stay put under interference fit. If you throw or break a cambelt or drive chain, the valves -will- hit the pistons, because it's an interference type engine design. When this happens, the forces incurred can knock the camshaft lobes out of timing position on the camshaft. Guess what happens next if you're not aware of this, and go to start the thing after getting the head repaired etc...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    That was an undocumented feature - the 'visual dipstick'.
    My first car was a Mitsubishi GA Gallant. Not a panel that didn't have bog in it. I mean in the middle of the panel not just rust.
    That thing leaked so much Oil I got a deep metal tray and poured lead in the bottom of it so it wouldn't blow away when I put it under the car. I would get about 150 ml over the course of a day at work and more over night. I'd go back to the car, pull the tin out with the correct positioning length rod I made, tip the oil back in the engine, stow tin and rod in the boot and proceed on the journey.

That car was rough as guts but it NEVER let me down...... Unlike the Ford LTD I bought years later that was only 2 years old and let me down about every 2 Months till I pissed it off. Just one thing after another with that. Fuel pump, Timing sensor, throttle body sensor, Trans issues, computer.... also had the least headroom of any car I ever had.

Bouncing valves off Pistons is Very common on Subarus. Pull the timing cover off and the belt is the factory one they put on 10 years earlier and has done double plus its normal service life and then the urban Myth goes around that timing belts are no good because they break. Yeah well Tyres blow if the tread wears off and you go through the canvas and don't change them when you should. Timing chains are far from infallible either.

My father can't figure out why I love my old GQ TD42 patrol so much. Even offered to buy me another car to update. Thing just suits me and anything goes wrong I can fix it.
    Parts are cheap and you don't have to deconstruct the car to do a simple maintence procedure. Run it on veg oil for free and it pulls like a train with a bit of meth in the water injection. Lay the back seats down and you have the same floor area as a 6x4 Trailer.
    Built like a tank and just don't stop. 400,000KM is a low mileage one these days and they will be on the original untouched engine.
    Might be why the things are 25yo and still seem to be going up in value. The same generation landcruisers are Similar.

Built when things were made to last.
    And they did.

Thanks

The use of piece assembled camshafts
    Many small engines use PLASTIC camshafts these days. I would not have thought that was possible had I not seen numerous examples.

Neighbour took his 2 Month old Husquvarva ride on back last year after he stripped a PLASTIC main gear in the diff. Blew a fuse and they gave him full credit on it on a JD..... Which sits in the shed mainly because that is so full of " safety" features the thing is barely useable to him. Rebuilt the deck on the old one, had the seat recovered, gave the motor a bit of a freshen up with a hone and new rings, bearings and a valve job and still uses that..... About every 2 days!

The "Safety" design with many mowers now is you can't go backwards without the blades disengaging and then having to push a button to re engage them. Was driving my father insane on his so I jumped the switch and keeps it engaged. Lift the bonnet and the engine stops, engine stops if you get off the seat even if the deck isn't engaged, won't start if you are not in the seat, won't start if it detects the oil is dirty.... there are literally more switches to make the thing NOT go than there is to make it run.

His new Honda Push Mower has so many dam levers and handles that's a joke too. Stupidity is they are all easily overcome with a few Zip ties. 4 stroke Mowers are unAustralian anyway. The sound of Victa 2 stroke is what we all grew up with and part of our Culture. Something else I'll be hanging on to and have enough parts to rebuild 10X over.

I'll be keeping my 30 Yo Kubota All wheel steer 3 Cyl Diesel bullshit free ride on till the end of my days too. That is a design and build I like Only thing on that is the engine stops if you get off while the deck is engaged which is fair enough. Leaving that alone.
    All the neighbours have Newish, prettier, single Cyl air-cooled petrol ride ons but my old girl is King of street when everyone seems to get out at the same time.
    Turned a few heads the other month when I towed the 6x8 Covered trailer round the front with it and them proceeded to shovel out 1.5 Cubic meters of Compost and soil. :0)

Built like a tractor and shares components with them.

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

Modern welders, air compressors etc. with that damn 'overheat' sensor shutdown on them pisses me off no end, especially in summer as it makes them practically useless.
    If they still made these things properly to last there'd probably be no need for any of that crap IMO.
    Couldn't even get a single land cruiser tyre pumped up with a Supatool air compressor (only brand of compressor the local hardware store kept) before it used to shut itself down, winter time could get maybe 2 tyres before it stopped, pulled it all completely to pieces one afternoon it made me that wild but couldn't find any sensors or anything to rip out, must have been something in the circuitry where the switch was or inside the tank.
    Best thing I ever did was took that heap of sh*t to the dump.
    Bought a welder about 10 years ago from Bunnings on the coast, didn't realise until summertime in western Queensland that it also had an overheat shutdown on it which made it useless after about mid moring.
    Ripped some idiot off for $100 more than I paid for that one.
    Now the only welder I have looks like a small power transformer sitting on wheel-around trolley, and scored an old belt driven compressor at an auction for sweet FA, had zero problems with either, they can both run all day no matter how hot it is.

Premium Member
    Thanks

My father can't figure out why I love my old GQ TD42 patrol so much.
    By the time they got to putting the ZD30 diesel in them, they were headed for bad times. The TD42 was the last of the good ones.

Seeing as the reading audience here have some savvy with electronics, ever wondered about what's under the cover of one of those electronic-over Zexel vp-44 diesel injector pumps as fitted to a nissan zd30 engine and many others? Remember when diesel injector pumps were straight forward (albeit high precision) mechanical devices?....gawd... deep dive time...

Owner of their zd30 powered Patrol cruising along at 60kph, and the engine dies & dash check light comes on. Check for DTC, no comms with injector pump. Do all the cursory checks, and it does indeed seem the pump electronics are dead, no chatter at all on the bus. Get online and find a russian site or diesel pump hackers (who would've thought), who've basically reverse engineered the pump electronics & control protocols. Long story short, the suggestion is 9 times out of 10, the no comms problem is a broken mosfet wire...

At first you think the translation is off, until you see it...you have to remove the top cover of the pump - this has a gasket to seal incoming fuel traveling around a channel that used to cool the stepper motors. Under another hermetically cover, are the electronics themselves ; you have scant seconds to come to grip with the fact they choose to use a mixture of surface mount and COB, on a hybrid PCB, and covered it all in clear epoxy jello snot ...

Uh-huh, in a diesel injector pump...lets see how much of the mud map I recall...stepper motor driver ribbon connect obvious lower left, cooling fluid (fuel) flows down there...look to th hybrid PCB...obvious SMD electro cap and adjacent 16mhz xtal. Big wafer lower left corner is H-bridge array for stepper drive, smaller wafer to it's right is CANbus driver/interface. Just above the black SMD parts, the square wafer with a yellow/gold hue - that's the MCU...the small square wafer just above it is ROM. To it's right you see a creme colour tant cap with black dot on it..just above that, the power regulator wafer. At both the left and right top corners of the pcb, you can see 2 big blobs of clear snot, and bonding wires leading off the pcb to the mosfet wafers fused to the copper heatsink base.... close up, left mosfet looks like this...

...umm...4 wires, 2 are common for the curious, and the mosfet in the right corner, which is the problem, looks like this...

In the lower left corner, that's my SMD tweezers plunged into the snot. The left bonding wire has become detached from the mosfet wafer, there's evidence of arcing thereabouts.

This $3000 replacement cost injector pump, died because of this...

A broken wire ... that can't be soldered back onto the silicon wafer that's protected by a layer of clear snot. The fix, russian style ..remove enough snot to be able to work the area, but don't uncover any of the hybrid board, just the solder pads. Get a pair of $7 SMD mosfets, because they've seen wires break on left mosfet too, fix both. Chisel silicon wafer off heatsink backplane, use 500watt birko soldering iron and refloat those SMD mosfets into place and try not to kill anything including yourself. Then it's time to microsolder the jumper wires from the hybrid pcb to the mosfets.... taadah!...

...uglier than sin, but electrically and physically a-ok. Put it all back together, put it all back on the zd30 (phuq, that sounded easy...), prime the pump, key to on, no fault codes - pump comms are back.

But wait, there's more ...crank the motor and it starts, and starts burning coal and blowing black soot like no tomorrow. Apparently it knows an idle condition is being commanded, but the stepper motor is stuck in the position it was when the lights went out...ffs....in other words, after putting all these smarts in the injector pump, it's still too frigging dumb to be able to reset stepper motor position back to a calibration point...great, bloody wonderful. If I had 1,600 euros to spend, I could buy one of their test boxes to do just this ...spend that much money on a zd30?...pffft!, throw it away, stick a TD42 in it...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (11-04-20),VroomVroom (10-04-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

But wait, there's more ...crank the motor and it starts, and starts burning coal and blowing black soot like no tomorrow. Apparently it knows an idle condition is being commanded, but the stepper motor is stuck in the position it was when the lights went out...ffs....in other words, after putting all these smarts in the injector pump, it's still too frigging dumb to be able to reset stepper motor position back to a calibration point...great, bloody wonderful. If I had 1,600 euros to spend, I could buy one of their test boxes to do just this ...spend that much money on a zd30?...pffft!, throw it away, stick a TD42 in it...
    OMG what a nightmare . thanks for the write up , I had always hated the ZD30 after seeing the early ones go like a hand grenade , but seeing this makes me shake my head.
    so , after all that you were not able to get the car going properly again? could you have stepped the motor back manually somehow?

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    so , after all that you were not able to get the car going properly again? could you have stepped the motor back manually somehow?
    Sing along with me...'to dream, the impossible dream'...

No way to do that, and if you need to get to that, it's pump out again, and the moment you touch that, you have to recalibrate the pump itself. Let me scare you with some detail about that ; there is no correlation between throttle position and injection quantity ...that is defined by a map in ROM ..you have to measure the injected fuel quantity while running the pump at various speeds, and trim the injection quantity by adjusting the ROM map...did I mention the injection timing is also controlled by pump ROM maps....nightmare doesn't quite say it =)

Getting to the pump isn't fun, all the air inlet piping has to come off, throttle body, front belts and ancillaries, intercooler, rocker cover, damper plates...cams/pump are all gear drive, you may have to roll the crank 47times to get your timing marks, once there you have to lock the scissor gear with a bolt before removing the timing cover or it flies apart like the recoil spring on a lawnmower pull starter ; if this happens, unlike the lawnmower, you can't put the scissor gear back together ; buy a new one. On the way in, you notice the I/C has oil oozing out it's seams, when you take the throttle body off, there's a 10mm think lining of EGR soot and gunk on the inlet tracts all the way to the valve seats...you start to imagine a runaway event being possible due to a chimney fire in the intake piping..it's horrific...even a 2litre donk would be lucky to draw enough air in.

I've heard say, if you fit a different pump, it has to be married to the PCM and only nissan can do that (or someone with consult2 scanner) ; I'd had enough. Believe the owner sold the thing thereafter with an obvious problem (start but not run properly), which was slightly better than long crank/no start/injector pump DTC.

Nice vehicle in good nick, with one of the most atrocious 4cylinder diesels in it I've seen ..ever.

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (10-04-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jma View Post
    Modern welders, air compressors etc. with that damn 'overheat' sensor shutdown on them pisses me off no end, especially in summer as it makes them practically useless.
    There is another piss poor design.... Solar inverters without cooling fans.

I have a couple and when making full power which even when double over clocked with panels, is always on a warmer/ stinking hot summers day, they run hotter than any electronic ever should. Must be like ovens on the inside baking every component, especially the caps.

Once they get over a certain temp, not that high, the inverter starts output limiting to stop melting itself down. They can pull up to 70% power output on some models I have seen.

I had a tube fan on a 40oC sensor driving a relay to turn it on when the thing warmed up. Kept it MUCH cooler.
    Don't give a flying shit about what anyone says about heat sinks, there is NO substitute for forced air cooling. Inverter could run it's arse off all day in 40O weather and barely be above ambient. Certainly not to hot to hold your hand on like before.

I have improved on that now with a totally self regulating design.
    I have an old panel up on the verandah roof and a car radiator fan attached which is mounted above the inverters. The brighter the sun, the more the panel generates, the faster the fan goes. Perfect sync with the inverter output and precisely self regulating.

As the radiator fan is larger, it sweeps all sides of the inverter not just the heat sink and keeps the things nice and cool. I have 2 Inverters one under the other which is supposed to be a No no but because the main top inverter never gets that hot to start with, the air hitting the second one isn't very warm and that stays cool too.
    They will run flat out on the hottest of days as I saw couple of months back and don't throttle down.

In summer the fan was a bit too fast so I put a limiting resistor on it in the form of a 100W Bulb. Works perfect.
    The fan can be heard and it's very interesting to hear the thing change pitch as the clouds and various effects take place. The solar radiation varies much more than one would think especially when the day appears clear and the light constant.

I do have an older inverter that is fan cooled and it still runs warm so I put spacers to keep that off the wall and have a fan on that as well which makes it run cooler.

The inverters without fans have massive heat sinks ( some REALLY bad designed with hardly any fins just a lump of metal) but the addition of a decent fan would make all the difference to output as well as longevity. Once the heat sinks come up to temp there is no way they can radiate the power going into them which is a fundamental of Heat sink and power electronic design.

Then again, maybe that's what they DID design.
    Last thing any manufacturer wants these days is something to last a long time and be reliable.

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    There is another piss poor design.... Solar inverters without cooling fans...
    Yes I have one of them, gets that hot in summer you can barely keep a hand on it, surprised me it hasn't burnt actually.

Thanks

I was out before and looking at my inverters. Yes, it was a pretty cool day here today but tthe fan was running steadily and the 5Kw inverter was cranking out 5180 w according to it's meter.
    The thing was stone cold much to my surprise. I expected some warmth when it was running flat out. was probably about 23 here and the inverter definitely gets a lot warmer than the 20 o temp rise in summer. The variation seems quite exponential.

I'll have to shoot the thing with my temp gun every now and then and map the ambient and inverter temp and see how that works out. Should have done some temps with and without the fan as well.

Premium Member
    Thanks

...here, found it...

VroomVroom (13-04-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

That guy is absolutely full of shyet.

Im surprised Nissan hasn't put him in front of a judge to stop him from smearing them with his bullshit "theories".

Since when has the towing capacity put ANY extra (or less) force on a timing chain?

The strain on a timing chain relates to the amount of cam lift and valve spring pressure, if you dont alter that, it does not matter if your standing there free reving the engine or actually moving, loaded or unloaded, its the same forces.

Now modern hollow camshafts are a issue?

Most are hollow to make the engine more responsive, many use the passage these days to provide oiling through the cam (even top end motors like Mercedes C63S AMG engines use it), not using the technology is like saying stick to push rod V8 engines because it works.

Sure seize the cam while its running will twist the cams, thats a no brainer derr. Change the camshafts. Even old school pushrod engines use to have cam lobe failures.

Yes pulling a engine out to replace a fuel pump is a problem. Do you think Nissan is worried about how your going to work on it after warranty has expired? They ask will it get through warranty? Most likely yes. Send it. Let the sucker who buys old deal with it, not our problem.

Bearings, not just cylinder pressures, there are engines out there producing far more power surviving, design issue with the bearing size, con rod strength around the big end or oiling is more to the point.

Modern cars are NOT designed to be worked on, get her through the warranty phase, then the dealer charging to fix it or numb nut like this guys makes a living talking shit.

Having a few freinds that work for dealerships as techs, you should hear about the latest Fords, BMWs, Mercs etc that have come out over the last 5 years, some scary repairs, big jobs ripping engine bays to pieces to do something so small due to lack of design thought for maintenance.

I dont think any model is now produced with the thought of the owner keeping the car for more than 5 years, those that do will all sound like this guy who should stay away from modern cars.
    Last edited by Godzilla; 12-04-20 at 10:27 AM.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (13-04-20),Tiny (12-04-20),wotnot (12-04-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Since when has the towing capacity put ANY extra (or less) force on a timing chain?
    To get that extra power -- fuel pump has higher capacity and puts more load on camchain ; diesel, so the camchain driven vacuum pump has been uprated to cover off braking requirements at rated towing load ; the valve springs *are* bigger/stronger than those used in the M9R engine, and likewise the cam profile (lift ramp/total lift) is more aggressive... and yet they used the same timing chain in the YD25 with all these higher loadings. The actual resultant over stressed element of the single row timing chain, is the fulcrum point of the link pin the sprocket roller sits on & the roller itself...like this;

My brother-in-law has worked in a nissan dealership for the last 20something years ; you oughtta hear him go off about these yd25 pos engines -- get this, the book price for engine removal and teardown is like $2600 before you even start fixing the things. He told me he called it the 'claytons timing chain...the timing chain you're not having when you have a timing chain'..."It's a design of steel timing belt that should be replaced on the same schedule like the cambelt in your rb30" he once said to me. They don't do this, because as you rightly say...

Modern cars are NOT designed to be worked on, get her through the warranty phase, then the dealer charging to fix it
    Another modern design trend that shits me to tears, but it's true, b-i-l told me the same thing ~ the actual cost of repair service for one of these engines that junks itself, exceeds the cost of getting another crate engine in from Japan....but you might have to wait a month..or two...or three, to actually get here. He said... just like in the vid ...the amount of BS and crap you have to work thru *just* to effect an engine swap, is more than a day's labor.

Back to modern disposable designs...a lot of us older folks, will recall watching a lot of this happen across our lifetimes ... the BIC ballpoint pen replaced people's coveted Parker or quill ; the BIC cigarette lighter relegated specialist brands like Ronson etc to the past (long before cigarettes themselves went out of fashion) ... wrist watches, fob watches, once upon a time handmade masterpieces...still there, but when I want the time? Check smartphone, right? Electronics is another area like this, where we've moved from serviceable devices and board/component level repairs, to a simple 'replace power supply PCB' ...even though with an hour's investigation you divine the actual fault is the failure of a $3 part ~ it cost an hour's labor @ $110/hr to find that ; new replacement board is $45 and it takes 15min to swap it in...go figure =)

In the 1970's in this country, some of us may recall a bit of an outcry and voice of concern about 'multinational companies' ~ what we see now, is probably slightly worse than what was projected (at that time) would happen. My best guess, is if you were born after say 1980 or so, you missed out on living through and seeing what happened over the mere 20years prior to that. It's how this all works... 'generational displacement' ..ie; how many people still alive, can speak authoritatively about world-war-one, because they were actually there? How long before the same is true of those who were there at ww2? ...30years or so hence? So by say 2060, there will be nobody alive on the planet, who actually remembers what a 'world war' was like.

Somehow, that sounds like a problem ... and this thread has yet to touch upon the modern designs of things like 'news delivery services' and 'social media' ; topic is very wide here =)
    Last edited by wotnot; 12-04-20 at 12:14 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    That guy is absolutely full of shyet.
    Actually I think what you said in the rest of your post pretty much confirms what he said.

No one would suggest engines and cars in general are anything but throw away and that's what this guy is saying too. I don't think it's acceptable to just write it off as an " Oh well, they are all the same" . Vehicles are the second major purchase after a home for most people and I think it is reasonable to expect one to last longer than slightly beyond the warranty.

If they made engines like the TD42 that lasted 400K KM without thinking about it 25 years ago, can't tell me they don't know how to do it now. Wether they want to do it now or not is a different thing which they clearly don't.

I see it getting MUCH worse when/ if EV's get any foot hold. Batterys will be done in 5-7 years even by the manufacturers own predictions and then the things won't be worth their weight in scrap. Only have to look on a tesla Forum now to see the problems even the fanbois have with them.

Wotnot makes a good Point. As the manufacturers groom the population to expect less and less from all products, they can make them progressively Cheaper and more shit because people won't remember when they were anything else so it will be accepted as the norm.
    They make the ever increasing amount of ignorant people think the cars are getting better by adding in more useless crap features that they -think- is some feature while blowing servicing cost out the window and over all DECREASING the reliability and longevity of the investment.

Anyone see that embarrassing feature some of the teslas have where the things Flap the doors , flash the lights and Play Jingle Bells? Seriously, there IS a function for them to do that. That should be a one off feature where the next time the car is driven it self destructs and takes the Idiot who activated that embarrassment with it.

What else are we going to see in the future? I shudder to think? Certainly won't be something that is well made and easy to service.

Long as you can connect your Iphoney and there are lots of "apps" for the brain dead fktards to amuse themselves with, 90% of which they won't use anyway, then it must be a good car.

I kind of look at this China Virus thing as the world having a Cough and a reality check on so many things that were getting out of hand and brining us back to a reality check.
    Some things though are never going to change.

Premium Member
    Thanks

The word 'groom' is aptly used ~ you had to be there, but even those simplistic items I've mentioned were welcomed by the masses as being convenient, time saving, new technology ~ so many swallowed it hook, line & sinker.

Supermarket plastic bags is a good example, because it's just about come full circle.... be green, be responsible, stamp out the use of plastic bags! BE GRETA!!! (how dare you! =) ..several hundred tonnes of this plastic debris swirling around the ocean, "Oh the humanity! What have we done!?!".... wank wank, blabla, bloody wankwank some more.

Why do I say that?

Back in the 1960's for my memory (but it had been so for long before this), we used paper bags...yep, you know...that eminently recyclable product paper. I can remember my mum, dutifully folding up the bags, shoving them away in a draw to be used again somewhere. At the checkout, there'd by a junior worker, earning an extra quid packing the paper bags for customers. we had all the things about conversation & recycling 'fixed', back then.

Then, if you were there, you'll recall the paper bags started to be made of thinner paper, and then they got so thin and poorly glued together, they were a pita. Then someone turns up, and says we can fix 'that' -- use plastic bags .... where the word 'that' is maintain their profit margins, in supplying paper bags for free.

Now, we pay for our bags or bring our own....and you wonder why some of us grumpy old men scoff so much =)

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (13-04-20),SS Dave (12-04-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Windows 10
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (13-04-20)

Thanks

At the checkout, there'd by a junior worker, earning an extra quid packing the paper bags for customers. we had all the things about conversation & recycling 'fixed', back then.

-- use plastic bags .... where the word 'that' is maintain their profit margins, in supplying paper bags for free.
    I WAS one of those Jnr workers packing Groceries... For 3 years. Thursday Nights and Saturday Mornings. Would walk home at 9:30 PM Through Bankstown at 15 years old with never a second thought. I wouldn't do it now unless I was armed with my favourite Handguns and had my shepperd with me.
    Truth be known, although the money was good to have, only reason I did it that long is because the Checkout chick I usually worked with was hotter than Fire, nice to me and I had a mad crush on her.

Now, we pay for our bags or bring our own....and you wonder why some of us grumpy old men scoff so much =)
    The whole Environmental thing with plastic bags is yet another load of Green Bullshit used as a convenient excuse to save big Biz Millions. They turned an expense into a profit maker using the green cult ideology to their favour. They sell relatively few less of the reusable bags than they did the disposables even through the reuseable one are heavier gauge and will break down in the environment a lot slower and cause more damage.

The other thing with the bullshit is the sale of Garbage bags/ liners went through the roof because the single use bags were rarely single use at all people used them for putting their rubbish in, wet / dirty clothes after sports or when travelling, putting various things in to take to peoples places when going for dinner, used around the garden... and so it went. They were anything BUT single use that I saw.

The other side is it's only the supermarkets, to a degree, that have stopped the bags. With the exception of Bunnings, everywhere else I go gives me a bag so we still have them and still getting more than one use. Of course you go tot he fruit and veg section of the supermarkets and there are still rolls of plastic bags there.

Whole thing was complete and utter bullshit and nothing but a way for the supermarkets to make more profit and give their customers worse service.

AND..... The kicker now is, some places are not even allowing you to bring your own bags in. Dad was telling me they wouldn't even let him take his into the shop last week, had to take them back to the car and they were giving out the OLD thin bags. He asked why and was told it was because it was a measure to stop the China Virus Spreading.

Once again, in the face of a genuine "emergency", the Bullshit climate crap has gone right out the window when there are real and Immediate things to worry about.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

dashinson (13-04-20),Jma (12-04-20),wotnot (12-04-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

did anybody else notice the "Renault" castings on the side of that NP300 engine? no wonder they fail so early.

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

The same as to the VE and The VF I have + The Caprice V . The Battery are on the Passengers side boot, To remove the Battery your must remove the skirt thing thing on the rear of the car so you can tale the side boards out but you cant do this until you remove the rear of the seats (NA I dont Do that because you can use that section as a hinge) now before you do this you must remove the floor of the car. Yeah can do this in ten minutes, Have it down in a Fine art.
    VE and VF Commodore and did the WN Caprice V two weeks ago as all my cars except for one has trickle charger circuits. The Car that does not have a Charge point is our old shopping car that sits in the rain

That side bit you barley can see it on the right pushed away

The Wire going to the Floor of the Car (PS Protected by a Fuse close to the Battery

Inside the Boot

The Charging point

The Projector trickle charger on the wall (quality up the Shi.t)
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 13-04-20 at 10:52 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

wotnot (13-04-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

did anybody else notice the "Renault" castings on the side of that NP300 engine? no wonder they fail so early.
    Known about it since ->

Then, there's engine supply ;

The is already in its fourth generation. Since the launch of the latest model, the manufacturer has been offering several engine options. In the A180d, under the hood is a 1.5-liter dCi Renault diesel engine, also used by and . In the premium hatch it generates 116 horsepower (86 kilowatts) and 192 pound-feet (260 Newton-meters) of torque.

..and...

The is a car from the Daimler Group, owner of . However, some 60 percent of its components are shared with the Renault Twingo. Under its body, it has gasoline engines, shared with some Renault and Dacia models.

....and where else is this shitty yd25 engine used?

Last edited by wotnot; 13-04-20 at 10:54 AM.

VroomVroom (14-04-20)

• Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast