Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Modern designs that drive you nuts

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

The same goes with a Fuel Pump on a 2006 to 2009 Commodore as you have to take the tail shaft out, then Exhaust out, then the complete independent diff out, THE LOT OF it then remove the tank out, what in the fu.. was Holden thinking,, of After 2009 HOLDEN in their wisdom had a cut out with screws under the rear seat that all you have to do is remove the rear lower seat (4Min) take the 8 inch plate off with a screwdriver then underneath you have the top of the fuel pump assembly

DONT TALK about to remove the Base of the Air Cleaner on a VF Commodore because you need to do this to Remove the Oil sender sensor on a V6. To remove the bottom of the Air Cleaner you have one screw that is hiding under another so you have to remove the other but that other has another screw under another 2 and you have to remove this first but to do this you have to remove something thats in the way and to do this for safety you have to disconnect the Battery. FUCCC>K idiots>>> What I did I modified it by filing a section out so I can get to the first screw on the first stages

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Known about it since ->

Then, there's engine supply ;

The is already in its fourth generation. Since the launch of the latest model, the manufacturer has been offering several engine options. In the A180d, under the hood is a 1.5-liter dCi Renault diesel engine, also used by and . In the premium hatch it generates 116 horsepower (86 kilowatts) and 192 pound-feet (260 Newton-meters) of torque.
    OMG remind me never to touch any of those brands listed in the article. All just shitboxes with poor service backup , expensive parts and short service lives.

Toyota aren't too much better , their shitty DPF system was a BMW design to begin with. At least they are doing something about it , they have just released a modified injector housing and a new DPF to be retrofitted to problem vehicles.

• The Following User Says Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (14-04-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,917 Times in 1,280 Posts

BMW 1200gt you remove 90% of the tupperware to remove the fuel tank to get to the air filter.
    Death smiles at everyone. Grumpy old men smile back.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SS Dave For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (14-04-20),lsemmens (14-04-20),shred (16-07-20)

Thanks

There's a special place in Hell for designers who don't design serviceability into things that need routine replacement. The Ford designers should go there for the horrible, finger pinching, foul language inciting headlamp retention clips that they put in their cars. You can't see them properly, have to feel for the springs, and once you have worked out how to extract the globe invariably forget how you managed by the time the lamp next fails. Sure they work, sure they're cheap to make but now, before I buy any car I ask the salesman to "Show me...do it for me..." and remove a headlamp. Probably petty, but a feel-good revenge for the frustration caused on a dark road, on a wet night by having to learn on the job.

• The Following User Says Thank You to PAFMelb For This Useful Post:

gulliver (20-07-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PAFMelb View Post
    There's a special place in Hell for designers who don't design serviceability into things that need routine replacement.
    The stupidity with which some things are designed that make a Routine and foreseeable task like changing Headlight bulbs so difficult , can't be a mistake.
    They must do it on purpose so as to firstly deter people doing things themselves and secondly, to create the maximum Billable hours for the service dept.

Any person remotely competent at anything hands on beyond hammering a nail would foresee these problems and make things accessible.
    The fact these engineers/ designers make things so ridiculously difficult and time consuming prove it MUST be deliberate.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I'm currently planning to head north via Innamincka on my bike. Only problem is, there is no centrestand on the bike, so, if I have a flat out in the middle of nowhere, I'm gonna have to lay it on it's side to take the wheel off, (I hope!)
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks

I will give you 1 guess where the fuel pump is on my Monaro.

• The Following User Says Thank You to SS Dave For This Useful Post:

wotnot (16-07-20)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

Forgot about this thread........

I currently have a 2017 SSV Redline. I don't like having an electronic hand brake....I can think of four or five times when a hand brake saved my life over the years, and I have no idea what would happen if I flipped the switch in this car at any real speed.

Anyone know?
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

wotnot (17-07-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post

I currently have a 2017 SSV Redline. I don't like having an electronic hand brake....I can think of four or five times when a hand brake saved my life over the years, and I have no idea what would happen if I flipped the switch in this car at any real speed.

Anyone know?
    Try it B^)

A more serious answer would be it wouldn't surprise me at all if that brake gets a BCM/PCM cutout, if vehicle is moving faster than 'x' kph ; a lot depends on whether it's designated as a 'hand brake' as opposed to a 'parking brake' - there's a difference.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SS Dave View Post

Lemme think....where's the most impossible spot.... low down, center, cabin side, and there's no rear seat easy-out nor access from the cabin side? Or is it really inane, and center bottom facing down, so you have to deal with the fuel in it as well? =^/

The stupidity with which some things are designed that make a Routine and foreseeable task like changing Headlight bulbs so difficult , can't be a mistake.
    They must do it on purpose so as to firstly deter people doing things themselves and secondly, to create the maximum Billable hours for the service dept.
    Nah, there's a lot more to it than that ~ a lot of it is engineering design choices made, to satisfy the bean counters making the production cost cutting calls, and compromises are made....sometimes huge compromises, ones which from a service stand-point you would never do... however...the beans counters have concluded that's the cheapest/easiest way to produce the vehicle product.

It's also a different, module orientated production technique - friend of mine has a Tuscon and it developed a rattle in the center console ; they replaced the whole console under warranty. It's easier, quicker and costs less to swap out an engine with a blown head-gasket, than it is to fix the problem. You replace assemblies, not parts of assemblies (replace hub assembly, wheel bearing not available as part)..shit like this, a different engineering paradigm.

Other shit happens as well, like with outsourcing components...manufacturers buy the electrics/electronics 'from someone else', none of this is made inhouse... and you get one stuff up in that supply chain...think takata airbags.

You buy a new car today, the object of the game is to use it covered by warranty, sell it with 20% warranty period left...and get another new car. Wash, rinse, repeat. Change the headlight bulb? Take it to the dealer, get them to do it =)

They don't do it deliberately for mine, they have simply removed any regard for serviceability....and believe me, removing that contingency, results in a product that's cheaper, easier, quicker to build

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 580 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SS Dave View Post

Just a guess.... Inside the fuel tank ?

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post

Anyone know?
    It beeps like crazy but won't slow you down.
    I accidentally hit the hand brake in a customers car because the switch is in the same spot as my power window switch.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Johnno View Post
    Just a guess.... Inside the fuel tank ?
    I say a crunt of a spot especially if the tank is full.

• The Following User Says Thank You to SS Dave For This Useful Post:

Johnno (17-07-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 580 Posts

The way I like it done.. In the boot and the fuel pump sits just under.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnno For This Useful Post:

SS Dave (28-07-20),VroomVroom (20-07-20)

Thanks

Thought of this today while working on a solar inverter.

They have modified the MC4 Connectors so they are Fking impossible to disconnect even when you do have the right tools. They put protectors over the tabs so you can't press them with your fingers and putting in the solar tools, screwdrivers, nails or anything else to depress the little tabs won't work either. Frustrating as all Fk!

We all bitch about things made from plastic but I'm sure I could swing off these connectors and they still wouldn't come apart. I have to cut the little tabs with my pocket knife to get them apart and of course then they can separate with no tension which is not what you want. They are supposed to be removable so having a happy medium where they will separate with a push of the tabs and otherwise lock would be a reasonable compromise.

Probably modified by some Bedwetting safety zealot softcock engineer that never did anything as hands on as hang a picture on a wall.

Many electrical connectors on cars are the same. There is no consistency to them either. You don't know if you have to depress a tab, lift it with a screwdriver or in many cases, you can't actually tell where the things separate when they are joined because they are all closely moulded and fit tight. I spent a stupid amount of time the other week trying to disconnect the airbag connectors when I put some different seats in my car. In the end I disconnected the battery, Cut the things and then rejoined the wires and put shrink wrap over them. Put the battery back in, nothing went bang, all good.

Was a lot faster than trying to disconnect the damn connectors!

Premium Member
    Thanks

....wait until he starts describing the oil circulation circuit....fark me...

Thanks

With an oil system like that. wonder the things work at all!

I have had a Couple of Mercedes with the OM 617 5 Cyl engine. Still have an engine up the back I was keeping to make a generator with or put in a boat.
    Very good engines. Reputation for reliability and Longevity. Not a lot of power in stock form but like all diesels, Turn up the fuel and turblow them and the fun begins. The factory OM617 turblows were real performers with just the Turn of a screwdriver to get the fuel delivery up. Mate rebuilt an NA one he Tuned and it was no slouch either.

Audi did their Quartos in 5 Cyl and they were real ball tearers as well.

The PCV on that Volvo is overly Complicated. Best PCV is just vented to atmosphere. Several makes Including MitsaBotchedy, Toymotor, Volkshaggin, Nissan had Big problems with it as well, and others have all had problems with PCV and EGR deposits blocking up inlet manifolds and creating huge Build-ups on the back of valves and even on turbo wheels.
    I left the PCV to inlet on my merc because I ran water injection and that cleaned the manifold as well as the cylinders. I Dump it on my patrol because I don't want it going through and building up on the compressor wheel.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Nissan had Big problems with it as well....
    If you ever have the displeasure of pulling down a zd30 oiler with more than 100,000k on it, you get to see the full horrorshow of what a bad EGR & PCV strategy does to an engine ; good for the environment (so say ADR criteria vehicles have to pass), kills the mill in the process.

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (29-07-20)

Thanks

Yes, Blocked off the EGR on a few engines and heard all about the kits/ procedures for the ZD 30. Blocking off the EGR adds to the life expectancy of the engines substantially.
    it's a fking stupid Idea but, if it gets them past emissions and raises the Billable hours for the service dept and the sales for the parts dept.... not bad from the manufacturers POV.
    Pity the poor customer though.

Premium Member
    Thanks

My wifes Toyota Corolla is booked in for service this week. Drop off at 9.00 aM pick up at 4.30 pM.
    I sent a text saying"What 7 1/2 hrs for a service?" Answer was there is a recall for a fuel pump which takes 1/2 day to change over.
    And that in 2020. Not happy.

• Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast