Thread: Cooppers Beer range.

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Default Cooppers Beer range.

I heard today that with the coopers beer range that you're meant to "roll" the beer first before opening it to mix up the sediment.

I always carefully pour it so as to avoid the sediment from entering the glass, or neck the stubby till just before you reach the sediment.

Is there a correct way????
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I always roll my Coopers Pale and Sparkling Ales!!!!

• The Following User Says Thank You to nic0 For This Useful Post:

porkop (13-04-20)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

that depends if you need one pee or two

• The Following User Says Thank You to hinekadon For This Useful Post:

porkop (13-04-20)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,077 Times in 9,094 Posts

It depends....if you don't care about the sediment, just drink it.

I used to save it, revive it, and use it to make home brew in summer. It's a superb warm weather yeast. In winter I'd bring up the yeast from a european lager as it fermented at a lower temperature.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (13-04-20),Onefella (13-04-20),porkop (13-04-20),shred (13-04-20)

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Thanks guys
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

I strongly disagree with what I am supposed or meant to do when it comes to enjoyment.

I don't like drinking cloudy beer or that sticky yeasty taste.
    As I always lager my home brew, it is always crystal clear, just the way I like it.

As for growing yeast from commercial Coppers bottles, I have never dared due to increased risk of picking up wild yeast or other nasties.
    The Coopers European Lager home brew cans already contain a lager yeast, so why take the risk.

I also find the choice of yeast over rated. It is either low or high fermenting. I have tried expensive liquid yeasts and found no benefit, just more work.

It is all about the grains and hops, temperatures and procedures and always make sure you remove that chlorine out of your water.
    Home brewing should be seeing a revival right now.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 13-04-20 at 11:08 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

bob_m_54 (13-04-20),enf (13-04-20),hinekadon (14-04-20),lsemmens (13-04-20),Rocket (13-04-20),Tiny (13-04-20)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Exactly how I do it, Fester.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (15-04-20)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,077 Times in 9,094 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    I strongly disagree with what I am supposed or meant to do when it comes to enjoyment.

I don't like drinking cloudy beer or that sticky yeasty taste.
    As I always lager my home brew, it is always crystal clear, just the way I like it.

As for growing yeast from commercial Coppers bottles, I have never dared due to increased risk of picking up wild yeast or other nasties.
    The Coopers European Lager home brew cans already contain a lager yeast, so why take the risk.

I also find the choice of yeast over rated. It is either low or high fermenting. I have tried expensive liquid yeasts and found no benefit, just more work.

It is all about the grains and hops, temperatures and procedures I never had any complications with wild yeast.and always make sure you remove that chlorine out of your water.
    Home brewing should be seeing a revival right now.
    I agree with most of this. Especially with the comment on grains and procedures. Adding a catalyst to convert extra unfermentable sugars into fermentable ones made a difference too. Lagering for a long period is the key to clear beer if you want it.

However, I found that coopers sparkling yeast was the best for Aussie summer conditions. Whether I was brewing from scratch (most of the time) or not. I never had any complications with wild yeast. I would take a sample from a fresh batch and bring it up immediately in a large bottle, airlocked.

I experimented with a number of european lager yeasts, and found that for me, Grolsch was the best. They say it's pasteurised, but if you let a bottle sit for a week or so, there is always a little yeast in there. Never had any contamination with it either, although it was not easy and required patience. Canberra temperatures were ideal for it in winter, as were the dark cool lagering conditions under the house.

Aaaah, thems was the days!!
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (15-04-20)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

I tend to use the yeast supplied with the Coopers wort. Usually, however, I use raw sugar. Couldn't even get raw or white sugar when I came to bottle so I used brown sugar. Given that it is a little more "moist" than normal sugar, (I generally use two rounded tea spoons for a 600ml bottle) I added a little more than normal. MY last brew was a Coopers Draught and, given the sugar used it is reminiscent of Southwark draught. Problem is that it is also very gassy, so, if you are not careful you'll end up with a glass full of froth, that is, if the bottle doesn't explode as you open it.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Exactly how I do it, Fester.
    I could go a Tiny Home Brew right now
    Good drop
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Tiny (13-04-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    MY last brew was a Coopers Draught and, given the sugar used it is reminiscent of Southwark draught. Problem is that it is also very gassy, so, if you are not careful you'll end up with a glass full of froth, that is, if the bottle doesn't explode as you open it.
    Try using dextrose and some malts instead of sugar. It will taste a lot better than Southwark draught. Provided your wort had finished fermenting when you bottled it just cut back a little on the priming sugar and it wont be as gassy.
    Don't worry, it only seems kinky the first time.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Rocket For This Useful Post:

Tiny (13-04-20)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

I was not aiming for a Southwark taste. I normally use raw sugar as a fermenting and priming sugar and it works well. It was only that the other sugars were not available that I tried the brown stuff. The extra sugar, you are quite correct, likely the cause of the extra gas. The wort had finished, the SG was the same (1000) two days running. The final alcohol is supposedly at 4.2% (I suspect that it is actually a little higher).
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...