Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ESports Racing

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

@wotnot, from experience that Porsche (real) in car footage is useless to learn much more than the track goes left and right, there is traffic tripping him up, no visual steering input, i always focus on time attack style laps with clear onboard footage with full view of the drivers steering, clear audio to hear the power management, as each corner braking point, mid corner speed and exit line strategy is clearly shown at the maximum limit of the driver and car.

When ever i needed to learn i focused on cars with the same weight distribution, handling characteristics and power laydown (the same sort of power graph), or to best put it, the same vehicle with the closest setup i could find that produced fast times in the right hands, then focused on his lines and driving style.

For example our current track toy is a 360-370Kw (at the wheels) E85 Supercharged S2000, a bit heavy at 1300Kg, while watching Turbo versions of the same models will help with braking markers and turn in points due to the higher speeds produced in forced induction models (original slower N/A models are not much help to watch due to different dynamics), it wont help with mid corner and exit strategies due to the way the power delivery is on a Turbo Vs a supercharged.

Its a funny game, you can keep sharp or sharpen yourself watching others onboard real footage in the hope of finding those tenths, the games wont give you all that, basic games will give you some realization of the track goes left and right, some idea of speed, but i think the top end simulators are setup to feel the bumps and more precise to the handling of the cars.

But one thing the games cannot give you is the seat of the pants g loadings which in my book is the most vital part of racing to chassis control, watching real footage, making assumptions what g loadings are coming through the seat through the visual markers and steering inputs, picturing them in your mind and absorbing this data, in my book beats any game for data collection to produce a better lap time.

Sure the games can help a new driver at a track they have never attended, onboard real footage will take them to the next level after that, they can see that little bump that needed a small lift of the throttle or a slight change in driving line that helps them setup for the next corner.

Games will never provide that seat of the pants vehicle dynamics feel, driving fast is based on the ability to maximize the traction at hand to change velocity with the chassis whether it be braking, accelerating or cornering, to do that you need to be really doing it in real life to feel those limits, data and footage watching others that are quick in a vehicle with the same dynamics is like someone giving you half their secrets without turning a wheel if you focus and know to look for the signs in whats being played out in front of you.

But end of the day it does come down to talent.....some have better feel for vehicle dynamics than others and know how to take advantage of this info to produce a better lap time.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

fandtm666 (18-04-20),wotnot (18-04-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

But end of the day it does come down to talent.....some have better feel for vehicle dynamics than others and know how to take advantage of this info to produce a better lap time.
    Yep, agree with everything you say here ... not that any of it matters to spectators of course. This line in quote however, is very true -- some have better feel for vehicle dynamics than others and know how to take advantage of this in a simulator as well =)

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (18-04-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Yep, agree with everything you say here ... not that any of it matters to spectators of course. This line in quote however, is very true -- some have better feel for vehicle dynamics than others and know how to take advantage of this in a simulator as well =)
    Yes, my son started beating me since the age of 8 on the xbox, and still does.

Hes turning 30 soon, and still cannot come close to my real driving lap times, by quite a margin.

Love it when i tell him to get out of the car and ill show him there is nothing wrong with the cars setup, its just him........Shits him to no end.......

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (18-04-20),Tiny (18-04-20)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

So the Esports Virtual F1 China GP was on early this morning.
    I recorded & watched today, The Gp itself with 7 F1 drivers + extras was entertaining & fun to watch.
    Noted; that, the faster drivers do not use driver assist, as it actually slows down the faster competitors.

The Epsorts F1 Pro Demonstration race from China before it was an amazing race, they use no driver assist, damage is real, & they have to manage the virtual ERS (KERS) as well. Great to watch.

yes! it is not real racing, it is however a great fill in for us racing addicts.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (21-04-20)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Bugga! video disabled!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Bugga! video disabled!
    Nope.... Just follow the link
    It must be watched from within YouTube
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (21-04-20)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Bugga! video disabled!
    So all you had to do was click on the link that said watch this video on youtube.
    It's so you can't miss the add at the beginning.

But these links will take you there anyway.

Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

lsemmens (21-04-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

It's so you can't miss the add at the beginning.
    Yep, they're already maneuvering the merchandising arm into pole position =) Sell sell sell... and sell some more.

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Are the V'8 on tonight?

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    Are the V'8 on tonight?
    yes 7PM on Foxsports, last week they had practice on before that as well.
    Cheers, Tiny

Premium Member
    Thanks

Just came in from cooking a BBQ
    Served up, flicked on Fox Sports 5 and V8 Supercars

I mean.... E Racing

How good is this!!
    The Mrs can't believe it
    Sitting down with beer and dinner watching live e-racing from Mount Panorama!

Well Done Fox Sports Commentary Team and eRacing!

Love It...

So realistic with the commentary
    Last edited by ol' boy; 22-04-20 at 08:51 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (23-04-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Do we know what simulation software they're using?

Also ..

Premium Member
    Thanks

Also ..

iRacing isnt it

Premium Member
    Thanks

Yeah, it's like I was pointing at earlier ; it's one thing to watch sim racing when you've never driven that car, track, or mucked about in sims at all ...but when you *have* done those things and used many different simulation softwares, whenever I see some coverage as you retell, the very first thing on my mind is "which simulator are they using?" ...it helps give me a gauge of how 'good' what I'm seeing is, or how 'hard' it is for the player to master the sim...and of course, if possible, I'd like to try that sim software myself, to fully appreciate what I'm seeing.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ol' boy View Post
    iRacing isnt it
    yeah I think so.
    Cheers, Tiny

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Also ..
    You must have skipped the several references I made to Simworx on the previous page.
    Cheers, Tiny

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Yeah, it's like I was pointing at earlier ; it's one thing to watch sim racing when you've never driven that car, track, or mucked about in sims at all ...but when you *have* done those things and used many different simulation softwares, whenever I see some coverage as you retell, the very first thing on my mind is "which simulator are they using?" ...it helps give me a gauge of how 'good' what I'm seeing is, or how 'hard' it is for the player to master the sim...and of course, if possible, I'd like to try that sim software myself, to fully appreciate what I'm seeing.
    As above they appear to be using iRacing as their simulated raceware.

The Formula1 series from what I have heard is using

From what I've been hearing in interviews with the top ERacers, is that the key to best performance is to have a steering wheel & brake setup that gives good virtual resistive feedback from the sim.
    Last edited by Tiny; 23-04-20 at 02:13 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny

Premium Member
    Thanks

I wonder, because the word iRacing is Trademarked for a bit of software, they cant use it for this Sim Racing, or as they call it, ERacing, which to me suggested Electric Vehicle Racing, aka Formula E.

ESports is a very poor choice of term.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ol' boy View Post
    I wonder, because the word iRacing is Trademarked for a bit of software, they cant use it for this Sim Racing, or as they call it, ERacing, which to me suggested Electric Vehicle Racing, aka Formula E.

ESports is a very poor choice of term.
    yeah VRacing as in Virtual Racing may be better, however it is what it is & it's very entertaining, looking forward to next Wednesday at 7PM..
    Cheers, Tiny

ol' boy (23-04-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

I agree, i think its cool and entertaining and lets face it, they are in the entertainment business.

I'd actually like to see 2 or 3 rounds of ERacing mixed into a normal season
    They could race at Monaco or Nurburgring

Or maybe have a couple of Virtual rounds of Australian tracks they will race later in the year
    Then you can have a Virtual winner and Supercar winner for the same track and see how their Virtual Racing compares to real life racing.

Plenty of ways to make this fun and inclusive.
    After all, there must a very lucrative Video Game market enjoying a resurgence

The Virtual Supercar data can be saved and offered online on iRacing for any punter to try his luck against
    Last edited by ol' boy; 23-04-20 at 12:01 PM.

• Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast