Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Default Anzac day 2020

Fook China and thier flu

Lest We Forget
    What an unusual morning service
    But still just as important

So nice to see people in the driveways, holding candles!!!
    Last edited by ol' boy; 25-04-20 at 08:20 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

eaglem (25-04-20),george65 (25-04-20),gulliver (25-04-20),lsemmens (25-04-20)

Look Here ->

Thanks

Yes, very unusual, but quite moving still. We did the driveway service, as did a lot of our neighbours, it was great to see.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mi_tasol For This Useful Post:

eaglem (25-04-20),ol' boy (25-04-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Last edited by ol' boy; 25-04-20 at 08:41 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (25-04-20),dashinson (25-04-20),eaglem (25-04-20),fred49au (25-04-20),gulliver (25-04-20),lsemmens (25-04-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mi_tasol View Post
    Yes, very unusual, but quite moving still. We did the driveway service, as did a lot of our neighbours, it was great to see.
    I downloaded the ABC I think it was app last night. Set the alarm and woke up at 5:30. I went out the front and couldn't see any other lights on in houses around the street. I went back to bed and sat up and pondered. Was this just some social Media crock of BS, would I look a dickhead standing out there on my own if anyone saw me? I thought being a dickhead or worrying about what anyone else though never stoped me doing stupid things before so was dismissed.
    2 Things from there came to mind....

1, The Anzac services we used to take the kids to when they were young and the ones I went to with my son and all his mate after they left school. We would leave Shitslam where we lived and go a few suburbs over to Australia and the park in the middle of the place with the memorial would literally have thousands there.
    Going out and standing out the front was a tribute to my son as well as the diggers.

2. I'm not much. These people died so I could have that comfy warm bed so I figured the least I could do was get out of it and walk my sorry pathetic arse down the driveway to pay my respects.

So I did.

Woke the Mrs and she said no one else will be out there, I'm tired, and was snoring again in literally 30 sec. I sat there till 5:45 and thought no, I am a dickhead so whats the difference if anyone else thinks that so I got up, got dressed, got a Little battery lantern I have and lit the Big tree up out the front as well.

The dog wandered out with me and I stood there in the dark trying to get the stupid app to work which didn't. Never Mind. It had a candle image on it so that was something. I was there anyway.
    Next thing I know Mrs comes wandering down the driveway and is standing there with me. I said I didn't think you were coming out here. She said I thought I'd keep you company. I knew what she was really thinking about as well. I put the screaming bright LED lantern down and we waited. It was a beautiful morning and I commented to the Mrs how nice it was when yesterday morning it was raining and cold.

Mrs pointed out that there were other neighbours out up and down the road she could see. I couldn't till it got a bit brighter but they were surely there. Being on acreage we are well spaced out and on bit of a bend so we can't see far but out of the 7 places we can see, Resident of 4 places of us were out there. We could see lights further up the road through the hedges and fences and hear some people calling out to each other further up as well. Seems a lot of people were out there too which was good.
    We noticed the Bogan deadbeats over the road had a Large "Lest we forget" sign out the front. They weren't out but they were at least paying tribute which surprised and pleased me.

Don't know where it came from, sounded like way up the back but we could clearly hear the last post being played. Quite amazing as it seemed to fill the air but came from no where in particular. I was glad the moment was marked and not missed. Everyone stood respectfully and quietly and I noted even my Border Collie whom NEVER wants to stop playing sat there quietly and apart from looking round now and then, didn't move either.
    We all stood out there till about 6:20 and then came in.

I'm glad we did that. One of the few good decisions I make.
    I have been to a fair few dawn services including going down to Canberra one year which was an incredible experience and one I want to do again. The drive way one may not be done again but then again, it's a pretty simple and Minimal way to pay ones respects and something everyone can do.

Next year I'll go to the local Memorial again. This year was different but incredibly quite moving and not in any way was the occasion diminished or less significant.

Good on those that had the insights to come up with this and respects to those that have fought in all wars and the hell they went though so the rest of us to come along later wouldn't have to.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,077 Times in 3,348 Posts

It was quite fitting that I heard the Last Post Being played in the distance as I stood there. It was almost eerie. I did not see many of my neighbours out, but, this was not about them, or me.
    For the Fallen

By

With proud thanksgiving, a mother for her children,

England mourns for her dead across the sea.

Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,

Fallen in the cause of the free.

Solemn the drums thrill; Death august and royal

Sings sorrow up into immortal spheres,

There is music in the midst of desolation

And a glory that shines upon our tears.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,

Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.

They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted;

They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;

They sit no more at familiar tables of home;

They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;

They sleep beyond England's foam.

But where our desires are and our hopes profound,

Felt as a well-spring that is hidden from sight,

To the innermost heart of their own land they are known

As the stars are known to the Night;

As the stars that shall be bright when we are dust,

Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain;

As the stars that are starry in the time of our darkness,

To the end, to the end, they remain.
    "Never was so much owed by so many to so few"
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (25-04-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

A very good tribute by Sydney Watson

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (25-04-20)