Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Government spy app soon mandatory?

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Default Government spy app soon mandatory?

Our experts at it again.

They got the idea from Singapore who only use it voluntarily and only 20% took up on it ...obviously privacy concerns.

We are getting a chance to use it voluntarily but if less than 40%, ScoMo does not rule out to enforce it's use.
    To me, based on Singapore's uptake, the decree looks likely in the coming weeks.

I like the way they try to sell it:
    "believer in the Australian people making the right decision"
    or ScoMo's :
    "
    give Australians the go of getting it right"

Reminds me of the propaganda methods in totalitarian SciFi movies, LOL

So what are your thoughts?

Mine are at this stage:

1. It requires that you have bluetooth on all the time which is a major security risk. Plenty about that on the net, not up to discussion here.

2. My trust in our Gov creating a secure app without flaws and backdoors(wanted or unwanted) is near 0%.

3. My trust in our Gov building in other silent features to access private information on our devices is near 100%.

4. AFAIK no other government forces you to install a tracking/spy app. There is no evidence that such draconian measures will stop the virus.

5. Singapore who has the app have over 3x more cases per cap than us.

6. Where I see the app being useful is having it switched on mandatory at schools to find out if the virus does pass on to teachers and other kids and then their parents, like that is common with the flu and cold.
    Unfortunately we can't get that data from Singapore as they have shut down their schools.

Edit: How are they even going to police that, make it compatible with all devices and Android/IOS versions or if my phone uses

Last edited by Uncle Fester; 18-04-20 at 01:25 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

enf (18-04-20),Landytrack (18-04-20)

Look Here ->
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

It's a crock.....

As much as the government has been uber successful dealing with this pandemic, and I for one think they've all done a superb job overall, the deputy chief medical officer says it may become mandatory.

Am I going to get arrested for going out without a phone? I do that all the time....I HATE the fvcking things. I've always regarded mobiles as a rarely necessary ball and chain.

Mine is an old Samsung S4 mini...any app probably wouldn't install anyway.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

Landytrack (18-04-20),ol' boy (19-04-20),Uncle Fester (18-04-20)

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

It won't be mandatory at all.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

enf (18-04-20),Landytrack (18-04-20),Tiny (18-04-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,917 Times in 1,280 Posts

And no we will not track your every movement any time we want. yeah right!

Sound like one of the 3 biggest lies

I will still love you in the morning
    I will not !@#$ in your mouth
    And the check's in the mail.
    Death smiles at everyone. Grumpy old men smile back.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SS Dave For This Useful Post:

enf (18-04-20),hinekadon (18-04-20),Landytrack (18-04-20),shred (18-04-20)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SS Dave View Post
    And no we will not track your every movement any time we want. yeah right!

Sound like one of the 3 biggest lies

I will still love you in the morning
    I will not !@#$ in your mouth
    And the check's in the mail.
    .....jeez ob, your obviously suss....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,917 Times in 1,280 Posts

If they say I must install it I have prepaid I use for online sales that never leave's the house it also has no GPS receiver along with the bluetooth if not working

Try tracking that.
    Death smiles at everyone. Grumpy old men smile back.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SS Dave For This Useful Post:

enf (18-04-20),Landytrack (18-04-20),shred (18-04-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

So don't worry about the chief morons in govt. that people...for some reason... keep voting into office.

I did hear about this, thanks for digging out the bullet-points -- I technically became bemused with the bluetooth must be on point...all I can think of, is they're intending to use that NFC protocol, to flag when 2 people with phones running the same app, get within 1.5m of each other or such and similar?...can't actually be done;

The reference cites ->

The powers that be, won't make the app, write the app, security audit the app or anything else like this -- it's like the link I posted earlier here about speed cameras taking a hit -- they've outsource the whole thing to someone else, and 'trust' that someone else has done everything right, like the speed cameras... which don't do everything right. You probably need to focus on whomever in the gubberment has some financial interest in the company they'll outsource this to ... or something like that.

As for enforcement? "Can I check your phone please sir?" at the next RBT setup I see ; app not there? $180 fine thanks ...I mean, shit, we've gotta make up for all that snap-for-cash we're missing out on with the speed cameras, right?

Good to know you're using custom firmware tho', at least I don't feel all alone =)

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Landytrack (18-04-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SS Dave View Post
    Sound like one of the 3 biggest lies.
    “We’re from the government, we’re here to help”

I’ll be interested to see how many of our liberties are not given back when this crisis is over. Just look at what was taken from us forever nearly 20 years ago in “the war against terrorism”.

I’d be interested to see how they propose to track us.

GPS - massive invasion of privacy and tends to run the battery down.

BlueTooth beacons, where it just records who you’ve been close to could be better, but it requires each device transmitting a fixed UUID and/or MAC address.

Early BlueTooth phones did exactly this, but supermarkets and other businesses with a large marketing department quickly learned that they could listen for the BlueTooth MAC address (or UUID if it was beaconing) of each device and use it to track consumers’ buying habits in their stores. The mobile phone makers then evolved the technology to use randomly generated MAC addresses and UUIDs instead, so as to protect our privacy. Most makers only randomise the last three bytes, so the manufacturer portion remains accurate. Apple is “special” and breaks convention in using a completely random MAC address.

I can’t see how these apps can function without broadcasting a fixed identifier and this is a potential invasion of privacy without any GPS tracking.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Interesting. What about the people that work or live in areas of no phone reception.
    Yes, some work places restrict phones and some work places have no reception.

And not everyone wants Bluetooth, NFC and GPS turned on all the time; well they shouldn't if they knew what is good for them.

Should this be mandated, I'm sure the next buying frenzy will be cheap $40 service station phones being activated.
    Last edited by Xplorer; 18-04-20 at 03:36 PM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    “We’re from the government, we’re here to help”

I’ll be interested to see how many of our liberties are not given back when this crisis is over. Just look at what was taken from us forever nearly 20 years ago in “the war against terrorism”.

I’d be interested to see how they propose to track us.

GPS - massive invasion of privacy and tends to run the battery down.

BlueTooth beacons, where it just records who you’ve been close to could be better, but it requires each device transmitting a fixed UUID and/or MAC address.

Early BlueTooth phones did exactly this, but supermarkets and other businesses with a large marketing department quickly learned that they could listen for the BlueTooth MAC address (or UUID if it was beaconing) of each device and use it to track consumers’ buying habits in their stores. The mobile phone makers then evolved the technology to use randomly generated MAC addresses and UUIDs instead, so as to protect our privacy. Most makers only randomise the last three bytes, so the manufacturer portion remains accurate. Apple is “special” and breaks convention in using a completely random MAC address.

I can’t see how these apps can function without broadcasting a fixed identifier and this is a potential invasion of privacy without any GPS tracking.

Most ppl would have already given other apps permission to read and transmit their IMEI often without noticing it.

So this would be how I would do it:
    Transmit the IMEI over Blue Tooth and read all the transmitted IMEIs of the phones within the bluetooth range(usually 8m if you are lucky), collect those readings(and other data that might be interesting) over a certain time period and send in packets to the Gov or third party who is contracted to manage this over the net using Data or Wifi when available.

Yes, I have no doubt, once we agree to this privacy invasion it will be here to stay.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteOx View Post
    It won't be mandatory at all.

...until the next back flip

Edit: Wow I just checked further below on that link:

"It simply swaps phone numbers and names."
    NICE... so everybody gets my phone number and name when they stand around a while within 8m.
    As mentioned above it is not possible to determine the distance with bluetooth as there are too many variables.

And here was I being so kind just to swap the IMEI.

Apparently they are releasing the source code so that should provide an opportunity for hackers to mess around with the transmissions and maybe tunnel into your phone as it has to be open for these transmissions to work.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 18-04-20 at 04:19 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

If you look down further in the article that WhiteOx posted, they tell you more about how it supposedly works. See quote below.
    Scary thing is they say they are going to publish the source code; brilliant for hackers, served up on a gold platter.

The other thing I gleaned from reading other articles about this app, is that it supposedly does not transmit data live back to base; it simply compiles a list of people you have been in extended close contact with, on your phone, for use at the time when & if you or one of the other people you have been in close contact with, are noted to have been in contact with a positive tested Covid19 person.
    Supposedly just to make it simpler to track & trace possible areas of contagion, then you can just give the authorities the data from your app, to help contact the other people that may be at risk of infection or spreading the infection.

What hasn't been made obvious is what compatibility with phones it will have. My S3 has limited compatibility with current apps, can't even use ANZ phone banking app.
    I'm not getting a new phone for this unless the gov pays for it.

Senior cyber experts looking at app security

Minister for Government Services Stuart Robert sought to again assure people that the privacy and security of the app would be watertight.
    "There is no geolocation, there is no surveillance, there is no tracking," he said.
    "The app simply connects with another app if those two phones are within 1.5 metres for 15 minutes.
    He said the Government had enlisted the help of the Australian Signals Directorate and the Australian Cyber Security Centre, as well as other industry partners, to check the veracity of the security measures in place.

Mr Robert also said the Government would be publishing the source code for the app for people to view and comment on, as well as the privacy impact assessment when it was completed.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post

Edit: Wow I just checked further below on that link:

NICE... so everybody gets my phone number and name when they stand around a while within 8m.
    As mentioned above it is not possible to determine the distance with bluetooth as there are too many variables.
    you edited this while i was writing post below it.
    well, I doubt that it would be as simple as everyone getting your phone number & details in their contacts list.
    I would think that for security reasons, the data will be encrypted so only the authorities will be able to decrypt the contact info.
    If so, that will give you your privacy until you or others you were in contact with give the data to the authorities, if that ever happens.
    Last edited by Tiny; 18-04-20 at 04:41 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Mr Robert also said the Government would be publishing the source code for the app for people to view and comment on, as well as the privacy impact assessment when it was completed.
    That will have to happen first, including the privacy impact statement, and before the app is disseminated ; going by how much time is usually involved in an impact statement preparation... 3rd Q of 2021 perhaps?

Also..

The app simply connects with another app if those two phones are within 1.5 metres for 15 minutes
    Does that infer that police out there enforcing social distancing laws, have to stand there for 15mins at least, to determine whether people are breaking the law or not?

Premium Member

Thanks

For a start do not have Bluetooth or GPS switched on as do not use them. As well don't always carry my phone with me unless there is a need.

Tend to regard mobiles as a pest at times so only use mine when I want to.

In any case my android is so old would be surprised if a new app would load on it.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Landytrack For This Useful Post:

enf (18-04-20)

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

I dont have a Phone that connected to anyone so they can go and Jump. My Phone is phone with my Videos, cars, My TV Room and other thing that I like and that it No filth, No Porn, No nothing that is off Also I have my favorite Music On it so at Night I can hear my Music that I like.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I'm in the poo! I often have my wife's mobile in my pocket alongside my phone. Does that mean I'm breaking social distancing laws?
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

enf (19-04-20)

• 18-04-20, 09:26 PM

Reason
    Do not post crap to increase count to send uninvited/unwelcome PM's.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,147 Times in 1,058 Posts

Do not have any Apps on my phone. No account to download them, so no here.
    Like to see how they can force me to have it.
    Could easily pull out my old Nokia and put a Prepaid Sim and carry that. No Apps there.

Thanks

Knowing how 'good' Australian network is I suspect making it mandatory will result in network crash after 5 minutes

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    I would think that for security reasons, the data will be encrypted so only the authorities will be able to decrypt the contact info.
    If so, that will give you your privacy until you or others you were in contact with give the data to the authorities, if that ever happens.
    If the source code is open then the encryption algorithm is known.
    That is not what I am worried about.
    For this to work my device must be transmitting and other phones must be connected to read and vice versa openly without first giving a permission. So anybody should be able to enter your phone through this open port using a modified (hacked) version of this app.
    I bet any IT savvy 13 y/o could nut that out.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast