Thread: Is it possible to enter IR code manually - Harmony 650

Thanks

Default Is it possible to enter IR code manually - Harmony 650

As the title suggest, did it anyone succeed entering IR code manually for Harmony 650 remote?

One of the devices I have has few codes combined to one button and I want to split/change it.
    It is Ok button on the original remote which seems to have Ok, Play and Pause functions combined and I just need 1 code - Ok or Enter.

I intend to play with the device remote.conf file (Android box) as well and see if I can do something there as well. But it would be nice if I can teach my Logitec to send a single code to the box.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

All I have to offer on this, is how I would go about the problem ; when I've had to do something like this, I plug an IR receiver into my linux box, crank up lircd, and then record the coded output of the original 'mote, to isolate what it's doing (is it sending 3 codes, or the same code with a double or triple send within a certain timeframe) ; once I have that data, I've a better idea what to do next =)

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

fromaron (27-04-20)

Thanks

Thank you, wotnot.
    If you know what to do next can you share please?

I tried to locate my android box (Schision V88) remote.conf file but failed miserably. The file is nowhere to be found. I searched all etc folders from root to no avail.
    I managed to find remote.conf file on the net but can't find it in the system so the idea of modifying it doesn't really help.

Assuming I can capture IR code transmitted from the remote and establish it transmits a series of commands, how can I modify the Logitec button behaviour?
    In the past I had a different MyHarmony software for older remotes where I could manually alter the code to be sent but in the new software I can only use an original remote to re-teach the button. That doesn't do any good to me.

So if you know how to do it pleas explain.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fromaron View Post
    ....I tried to locate my android box (Schision V88) remote.conf file but failed miserably....
    The Harmony 650 has a "learning" function. See p. 20 of the User's Manual (available at ).

This allows you to "teach" the Harmony R/C providing you have the Scishion V88's remote control for it to learn from.

Is your reference to a Scishion V88 (not Schision V88) a typo?

The video at shows how to upgrade firmware of the Scishion unit.

Also read the comments below the video window.

There is also a very extensive thread (32 pages worth) on the Scishion V88 at the Freaktab forums (my favourite place for all this kind of info.)
    Last edited by tristen; 27-04-20 at 10:24 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

This might be of help as well ->

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post

Is your reference to a Scishion V88 (not Schision V88) a typo?
    Yes, it was a typo.

I have the original remote and it is not the problem. The issue is the original sends a series commands when I press Ok button - centre joystic button which includes Ok, Play and Pause codes as I suspect. The remote doesn't have separate play and pause buttons and app I have reacts exactly like you would expect if the above mentioned series of code is received.
    My logitec learnt the same codes and I want to manually modify the code on the Harmony.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Have you looked at the Freaktab forums as advised in my last post?

It's very extensive so perhaps you will find relevant information there.

My link points to page 10 (for no particular reason) so start at page 1.

Yes, I know that it is tedious, but there might be something that helps you.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

fromaron (28-04-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    Have you looked at the Freaktab forums as advised in my last post?

It's very extensive so perhaps you will find relevant information there.
    Thank you, tristen. I had the exact forum read from the beginning before I posted my question. People in the form have android boxes with remote.conf file when my box at least after it has been updated to android 6 does not seem to have the file. I looked everywhere in the storage from root, even ran Search for the file name using ES File explorer to no avail.

Lucky people in the forum put new or modified remote.conf file and solve the issue this way. I even found a post with remote.conf for V88 box but it is for android 5 (original android version the box came with). I don't really want to downgrade the firmware as version 6 I have performs much better then 5. I'd rather buy another box instead.

So hence my issue - I need to hack to the Harmony remote transmitted codes somehow, modify the series of commands assigned to the button and then using IR blaster teach my Harmony to a new code.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fromaron View Post
    Thank you, wotnot.
    If you know what to do next can you share please?

I
    Sorry, missed this.... once I have recorded the code(s) used via lircd, I would them plug my IR-Blaster in, and transmit the required code to (in your case) the learning remote, to assign the required code to a single button.

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

fromaron (28-04-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Sorry, missed this.... once I have recorded the code(s) used via lircd, I would them plug my IR-Blaster in, and transmit the required code to (in your case) the learning remote, to assign the required code to a single button.
    Thank you. You confirmed what I thought the way would be in the previous post.

My problem I struggle capturing it - I don't have lircd and IR-Blaster. I am trying to find something available for android using built-in IR transiver for that. At this stage it seems like mission impossible. All links go to Arduino project. If I wanted to spend time on that I would probably do it but in my case if I can't find a solution I would go ahead and buy something better then that Scishion box.