Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Adjustable bench power supply - buy or build yourself?

Premium Member
    Thanks

Pair of es460c boards in the PCSA-4 circuit board holder, connectors & crimps here...slowly getting closer.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Johnno (16-05-20)

Thanks

Oh yes, replace all the RIFA caps.. I watched that Video you posted and the damn thing exploded.. /Great vision

That would definitely Never look good after fixing the unit and that happens.. Those old RIFA caps do look great exploding thou'. lol

Premium Member
    Thanks

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Johnno (29-05-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Two bricks refurb'd and reassembled, leaving the third board off it's heatsink for now, so it's easy to double-check the connector pinnings.

Last edited by wotnot; 22-05-20 at 01:39 AM.

Johnno (29-05-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Sat down and put the necessary wires in a connector,

Grabbed a brick, plugged it in, attached multimeter and turned it on...tiny click as the relay closed, and then straight to voltage, quiet as a church mouse..

Put the last unit back together, get a load happening and test all three ...think more about a case, and hopefully the dps50v15 isn't too far away...

Johnno (29-05-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

I hadn't actually taken that much notice, because the units are very similar, but I was actually supplied 2 x ES460C, and a ES460B variant. When I was testing the units for coldstart/idle, I noticed the ES460B was less than happy about something ; I figured it had something to do with the add-on voltage adj. circuit. Typically I run this old gear up first with no load for a couple of hours, and noted the B version was +/- 1.5volts every now and then, whereas the C versions are rock solid.

Then I'll run things at about 25% load for a couple of hours, and keep adding load until I reach full output and/or the unit protection circuitry kicks in...right now, the C units are taking turns at a 50% load;

They seem happy, however as soon as I put more than 1amp on the ES460B unit, it started shutting down/restarting....so it has a problem ~ I put it aside for a closer squizzy later, after all... I have 2 working units, so it shouldn't bee too hard to find the problem.

I contacted the seller, to let him know I'd been supplied an 'odd bod', and passed on a bit more information about getting these things going. Without even asking for a replacement, the seller immediately said they'd send me another ES460C, and I can keep the B version. Awesome.

Couple of things I pointed out to them.... the circuit diagram in the ebay listing, omits one very important connection -- the mains earth. Without that, all the high voltage spike/transient suppression is useless;

Then, if one ever buys these things, the easy/quick way to refurb and get them going, requires these bits;

*DIN41612 plug to suit units - RS Stock No.757-7942
    *DIN Power crimps to suit - RS Stock No.741-2933
    *2 x 4n7 RIFA (C4, C8) - RS Stock No.210-594
    *1 x 3n3 RIFA (C79) -- modded parallel of RS Stock No.875-2419 + RS Stock No.875-2428

Tested the DC-DC buck converter to 10amps and it didn't explode =) Got pretty warm, but withstood the load for a good 10mins. Still, better stick that in the cooling airflow to be sure.

The volt/amp gauge is useless... volt reading is good, amps read 2000mA high and will not zero reset/adjust within spec ; yet another ebay return =)

Johnno (29-05-20)

• Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345