Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5G - Will Technology Kill Technology

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Default 5G - Will Technology Kill Technology

With the rollout of 5G in Australia and Home Internet Speeds of 300mbs for a $70 Unlimited Plan
    With a promise of a min speed of no less than 50mbs (on par with current nbn) or you can leave the service for free.

Obviously this is where they are going to really start locking down SIM card IMEI's
    (hopefully not to cell towers)

Can you imagine a day in the future when a provider offers Unlimited Voice and SMS and Unlimited Data on 5G for $70

Digital Photographer killed off Film, Cell Phones killed off Landline (for the most part)....

Will 5G kill off the NBN fixed line market?

Then what happens when 6G arrives

If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (04-05-20),Tiny (03-05-20),wotnot (03-05-20)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,935 Times in 1,510 Posts

Can you imagine a day in the future when a provider offers Unlimited Voice and SMS and Unlimited Data on 5G for $70
    Yep...I can imagine that ; medical science indicates I won't live that long =)

I already know 6G won't be directly compatible with 5G (you will either need buy a new phone, or have a 5G model that can accept the required driver/firmware update)

As for putting 'traditional' fixed line/wireless NBN under the pump, not at there prices -

And because I live rural, I doubt it'll be here by 2050, and I would've well shuffled off this mortal coil by then.

I think I'm stuck at the point where a mobile phone hasn't offered anything more than I want from that device for 10years now, and all these further developments in comms & speed won't change that ; they're putting together something I'll never use.

Others however will have different needs, be living in cities, and thus have access to it...so they'll be able to download a 2hour long movie to watch in 10seconds, and spend 1hour 59minutes and 50 seconds watching that data =)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    As for putting 'traditional' fixed line/wireless NBN under the pump, not at there prices -

And because I live rural, I doubt it'll be here by 2050, and I would've well shuffled off this mortal coil by then.
    Couch cough

Seems on par if not better and that was 3 months ago

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post

Others however will have different needs, be living in cities, and thus have access to it...so they'll be able to download a 2hour long movie to watch in 10seconds, and spend 1hour 59minutes and 50 seconds watching that data =)
    I think the idea is, you watch 6 HD streams at the some time on 6 devices, all while updating your 4.8Gb operating system
    Who downloads anymore?

This will be great for Photo Cloud back up services

Unless you are a KFC 3 piece feed away from a heart attack, i'd say it will be here in your lifetime

The only thing stopping it, will be the Overlords and Bean Counters that keep it from killing thier already existing revenue streams and products
    Last edited by ol' boy; 03-05-20 at 11:51 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Member
    Thanks

With a truly all encompassing coverage net ... =)

Like I say, decades before I'll see the technology (understand, we only got NBN to this place Sept last year =) -- for this tech to take on/displace existing tech, would require at least equal (or close to it) coverage, and an equal take-up by end users (these are of course closely linked), and the way the numpties have exampled how they roll out new tech here, by the time 5G has equivalent coverage, the rest of the world will be onto using 7G and figuring out how to deploy 8G B^) Then there's starnet...I mean, starlink =) Apparently there's plans for 2 more of those, to compete against Elon's low orbit routers

Premium Member
    Thanks

I remember when people said that about 4G
    That wasn't all the long ago either

Obviously Roll out is based on take up, or is Take up based on roll out?
    Its all based of money and clearly that money wont roll in, if they don't put it where people are.

Those in regional country areas, have your argument, i'd also argue i can't get 3G, ADSL or cable NBN in the middle of the Simpson Desert too

So far, only a few Handsets even support 5G and 5G is in limited areas, i'd suggest that is exactly what a Roll Out looks like

But a friend started using the Optus 5G Nokia moderm 2 weeks ago as a solution for the "Teaching from Home" boom
    Its it been a great successes for him, not bad for $70.

With business always looking forward to future changes that may affect thier bottom line, this would have to be a threat, unless they align themselves with the technology

I predict the carries will throttle 5G anyway, so they dont kill off other products

And 5G may be just used to remove pressure in high density metro areas

Eventually it will all leak down and become common place old tech, as we move forward.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 03-05-20 at 12:19 PM.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

I'm in the same boat as wotnot. It won't likely happen here in my lifetime.
    I can't get 3G or 4G at my place & population density won't change in this rural area in my lifetime, so the carriers will not put a special tower in for us.
    Good luck to the city ppl

I'd love to be able to ditch my landline, but alas it is not possible to do without it here, as due to satellite broadband, although I could make & receive calls over our broadband, the data is counted & it gets chewed thru very quickly when you use it.
    Sure if the NBN Skymuster program would give us unlimited data or at least not count voice calls in & out then it would be possible, but I don't see them doing that for us; as they still need to get our money to pay off the 2 satellites.
    Last edited by Tiny; 03-05-20 at 12:06 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

william10 (03-05-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 580 Posts

Not happening here yet.. 5G = Google = Skynet = AI ... lol i know bcoz it cheats 100% playing rock-paper-scissors.. Lol Now i have an image of Terminator on my mind.. lol

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ol' boy View Post
    I remember when people said that about 4G
    That wasn't all the long ago either
    Yeah, but this is different technology, with greater challenges presented, they have to deploy/erect low power repeaters, and a whole lot of other stuff.... not least of which, is the data backbone. If we're already seeing this nation's network backbone being brought to it's knees in 'peak time', you start deploying something with the alleged speed of 5G, on that same backbone....nah, never gunna work.

This is a long clip from Dave Jones on 5G, and although he's mainly taking the piss out of the nutters, in doing so he explains the 5G topology and what's going to (need) happen

Premium Member
    Thanks

I'm sure you can make it another 4 years wotnot

3G shutdown approaches in 2024. The 850MHz spectrum currently used for the 3G network, and before that 2G CDMA, will be repurposed to expand the 5G network.
    Although i'm not sure how that works?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

When NBN was talked about I remember being shit canned for saying the technology is redundant before it's even rolled out and said mobile networks will take over all the data eventually. Posters were saying no way there is not enough bandwidth etc. Well well well......
    Last edited by LeroyPatrol; 03-05-20 at 05:23 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (03-05-20),Tiny (03-05-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

And the Ski Resorts are some of the first adopters too with blistering speeds

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (03-05-20)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    When NBN was talked out I remember being shit canned for saying the technology is redundant before it's even rolled out and said mobile networks will take over all the data eventually. Posters were saying no way there is not enough bandwidth etc. Well well well......
    I remember that Leroy, IIRC the Japs told us that superfast wireless mobile technology will be the future of communications for voice & data, but no the stupid Gov decided to to go with expensive fibre FTTH technology.
    I expect though that the fibre nodes can at anytime be repurposed to connect to wireless towers.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (03-05-20),wotnot (03-05-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    I remember that Leroy, IIRC the Japs told us that superfast wireless mobile technology will be the future of communications for voice & data, but no the stupid Gov decided to to go with expensive fibre FTTH technology.
    I expect though that the fibre nodes can at anytime be repurposed to connect to wireless towers.
    That's what I was referring to...

Premium Member
    Thanks

You've only got to read some data predictions back in 2010 and fibre limits of that period to realise those speeds are already slow today.
    It is actually like going back to the dark ages reading these articles

Premium Member
    Thanks

As mentioned many years ago on this forum
    Fibre to the Node or Home is probably the best thing we ever did. Now we have options and easy deployment
    So many new projects don't even leave a cabinet to travel 20ft without being Fibre, and that's all LAN stuff.

I think the Backbone is sorted
    Just ask Tasmania, their tiny 12 core fibre is doing ok isn't it???

Have they even used the 2nd core yet?
    Last edited by ol' boy; 03-05-20 at 05:40 PM.

Thanks

There are far too many gullible people believeing the marketing hype. The current rollout use mid band sub 6 frequencies, and SHOULD be able to acheive roughly double the performance of 4G. So if you are one of the lucky ones who can get 50Mbps on 4g AND if the 5g build in your area is at the same density as the 4g AND if no more users are on it, you SHOULD be able to get 100Mbps. Latency should be better tham the average 60ms of 4g but it can never be better than a fixed fibre installation.

The real advances in 5G are several years away. In Australia the allocation of mm wave frequencies is not even scheduled until next year. There is no commercial equipment available yet for these bands. There have been tests which have acheived >1Gbps in mm band tests, but these have typically been far removed from real world situations.

Anyone who thinks that ANY radio network can better a properly designed fibre network is dreaming. If the NBN had spent half the money the telcos are spending on 5g, we would have >100Mbps to every house in Australia, which would be IMMEDIATELY upgradable >10Gbps without any change to the physical structure.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jgm For This Useful Post:

macca (03-05-20),ol' boy (03-05-20),shred (03-05-20),wotnot (03-05-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

True enough, but its Money and End Users that will drive the market direction

3G, 4G, 5G etc doesn't need a Technician to visit your house
    No patching in is needed. Great for units, renters, etc

Who watches normal FTA TV any more?
    And it they do, how do they watch it? As an example of how things move on

No denying Fibre to the House is the best, and Fibre to Node and Copper to Home has 100's of options and good pricing.

But Fibre to a 5G connection to End User will not be far behind, and allows the End User to move about, change home locations without $$$ human interaction and delay times

Lets see hey
    Lets see what the young people choose

5 years from now it will be a very different landscape!

And if i was a big bank investing in other internet technologies, i'd be taking notice... as 5 years comes around fast.

For me, Unlimited NBN (copper) has become so affordable, i can ditch my Unlimited 3G for $100 a month, for a Home NBN Unlimited for $60 to $70 and for $20 a month have 4G and 40Gb on my phone. So that is 2 services for less than the price of one.

So as long as these providers of tradition NBN keep dropping the price, it will keep them in revenue
    But the Wireless option is keeping them honest
    Last edited by ol' boy; 03-05-20 at 01:58 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jgm View Post
    In Australia the allocation of mm wave frequencies is not even scheduled until next year. There is no commercial equipment available yet for these bands.
    At a range of 1.6km, i don't think we are talking about this as an NBN replacement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

I wish I had some photos but we had a fibre to the node setup in the lab with copper to the home in the mid 90's. There was all this talk of one phone number for contact being voice, fax (yes fax lol) and it would be portable and or mobile. And with copper at the end!

I hadn't thought about repurposing the nodes. That would be a great idea down the track seeing all the fibre infrastructure is in place and making them wireless nodes! No more household cabling. Techs will be put out of a job lol
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

Tiny (03-05-20)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Does any body remember when 14.4kbS was a lightning fast connection?
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Tiny (04-05-20),william10 (03-05-20)

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast