Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Future of Foxtel

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

Im all netflix and youtube now.

In fact i rarely even used netflix, just log in to see if something new and interesting is available, watch it and maybe take a look again in 3-4 weeks time.

Mainly youtube docos these days.

Even repair tutorials are good, ive stopped googling tech info and just go to youtube these days.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (07-05-20),OSIRUS (07-05-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post

Even repair tutorials are good, ive stopped googling tech info and just go to youtube these days.
    I have to admit im the same where that is concerned was amazed how many things i was trying to work out or fix
    and could find it on youtube

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (08-05-20),OSIRUS (07-05-20)

Thanks

Fuxtels not dying for a while now. Although i cant remember the last time i watched FTA since IPTV, Fuxtel still have their place for a little longer. Their advantage is the user hardware. Their decoders are extremely simple to use and as there mostly bullet and idiot proof they work 99.999% of the time. I love my IPTV and the overwhelming content it provides at less than a quarter of Fuxtel subscription but it does have its issues. IPTV relies on 3rd party devices with a massive performance and quality differences between brands. The cheaper they are the glitchier they become. Then other factors are the O/S they run on and finally what APP runs on that OS. Not all providers support all apps and O/S so it can become a bit of a dogs breakfast for someone not entirely in the know. Even a high end player running the latest Android version can freeze and become problematic needing re booting. The Fuxtel decoder, O/S and programming has had a lot more research behind it making it easier to operate. For now.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,963 Times in 9,059 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by statesmanjeff View Post
    Fuxtels not dying for a while now. Although i cant remember the last time i watched FTA since IPTV, Fuxtel still have their place for a little longer. Their advantage is the user hardware. Their decoders are extremely simple to use and as there mostly bullet and idiot proof they work 99.999% of the time. I love my IPTV and the overwhelming content it provides at less than a quarter of Fuxtel subscription but it does have its issues. IPTV relies on 3rd party devices with a massive performance and quality differences between brands. The cheaper they are the glitchier they become. Then other factors are the O/S they run on and finally what APP runs on that OS. Not all providers support all apps and O/S so it can become a bit of a dogs breakfast for someone not entirely in the know. Even a high end player running the latest Android version can freeze and become problematic needing re booting. The Fuxtel decoder, O/S and programming has had a lot more research behind it making it easier to operate. For now.
    I concur...I have to admit the IQ2 I have is a superb device, and wife and daughter proof....

My IP devices are all a bit different and can be cantankerous.

I still download most of what I need, as modern bandwidth allows it. Once done it's there till I'm ready and have the time.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post
    only reason i still have it is for the sports and the boss's crime shows
    ditto

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Lets face it. Foxtel's business model is dead and their senior management is far too stupid to adapt quickly and stay in the maket.

There used to be a time when foxtel used to read posts on this forum. I don't they'll pay any attention to what I say.
    Fvck off the foxtel brand, it's done. Stop trying to provide content, you're not good at it. You might keep fox sports or similar channels but that's something different.

Stop trying to be a 20th century cable tv provider and instead downshift and become an ISP. And not just any ISP, a streaming only ISP.
    Start with providing a service and not content to customers.

They order what they want to watch and that data broadcast to their boxes over satellite and stored encrypted on their box. The card then provides the key to play the data.
    You order what you want and it either appears stored on the box as it becomes available or within a time frame depending on how much you pay to get it.

With a shitload of downstream bandwidth and compression service delivery is simple. They could just sell bandwidth but that model isn't completely compatible and knowing foxtel, they will over charge for it or throttle or limit it and fvck it. Instead they need to do a deal with all the content providers like netflix, amazon etc etc etc. Buy their content or rather strike a deal with the providers to sell their content in blocks. So something like netflix, rather than subscribe for their entire service for $10 per month, you might pay $2 for a series/season. Foxtel takes it's cut from netflix etc everybody wins. The customer pays slightly more, they might by 10 seasons of programs and spend $20 etc.
    Foxtel can save on bandwidth because the a single signal can broadcast the data to all boxes subscribed to the episode/series etc.

$2 for tiger King ... yeah I'd pay that to see that messed up shit. I could have my dish, my box and no need for NBN or ISP. I log into the foxtel webpage. Tell it what programs I want.
    It sends this information to the box that then listens for the data, stores it and I can then watch it anytime I like. Simple. Cheap and makes very good use of bandwidth and your customers don't need to subscribe to 5 differenet streaming providers when they will pay more for less dull content but more selective content.

There's no limit to the interesting stuff you can do with the format. Want to buy a new xbox game or download some software.
    Video music ... think how many music video clips you could sell for 10 cents each?
    Watermark the video with a customer number and then who cares if your customers copy and share them. They'll be too afraid and for 10 cents, they will just buy their own.

Make everything so cheap it's just easier to do the right thing.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Thanks

for those that keep foxtel for sport only kayo is a cheaper option.
    no contracts and month by month payment, when you've had enough cancel sub until later

That's what I have done at the moment, no live sport so I've cancelled for the time being

And yes it is still fox, but cheaper than paying for a full sub with repeats and ads

• The Following User Says Thank You to efab For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (15-05-20)

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12