Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mobile Phone Driving Fines!!!!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Default Mobile Phone Driving Fines!!!!

Are people really this stupid! Yes!

Mobile phone detection cameras have issued more than $7.1 million in fines to approximately 21,000 motorists in NSW in the first two months since authorities began issuing tickets instead of warnings.

The high number of fines comes despite there being only a handful of mobile phone detection cameras in NSW – the first Australian state to adopt the breakthrough technology – in two fixed locations and a small but undisclosed number of temporary locations.

& that's just NSW, WTF!
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

eaglem (13-05-20),enf (12-05-20),gulliver (13-05-20),Keith (13-05-20),mtv (12-05-20),OSIRUS (13-05-20),shred (13-05-20),VroomVroom (13-05-20)

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

And that's only the ones that have been caught so far.

Many more cameras are still to be installed.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

eaglem (13-05-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Wow, I didn't even know these revenue cameras even existed
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ol' boy View Post
    Wow, I didn't even know these revenue cameras even existed
    Taxing stupid is not revenue gouging, it is a realistic attack on stupid people that cause fatal accidents.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (13-05-20),eaglem (13-05-20),enf (13-05-20),firemansparky (13-05-20),Guiseppe (13-05-20),mtv (12-05-20),peteramjet (12-05-20),shred (13-05-20),tristen (13-05-20),Uncle Fester (13-05-20)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

We barely go out these days but in the one or two time a week when we are for 10 minutes on the highway, my wife ALWAYS spots a driver with phone in their hand.
    I wish she could take a photo and then the number plate to report and get a reward each time... mobile phone driving head hunter
    She always sits in the back seat.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 13-05-20 at 12:26 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

enf (13-05-20),lsemmens (13-05-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

the last time i was in Thailand they were using camera detectors no bigger than a matchbox

• The Following User Says Thank You to dai For This Useful Post:

eaglem (13-05-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

wow at that rate the govt will recoup the CV19 expenses in no time!!!
    seriously though it is a big problem , enough bad shit happens out there on the roads without distractions from phones.

Is it illegal in the USA ? almost every show you watch has drivers using phones as if it was legal

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

eaglem (13-05-20),Tiny (13-05-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,228 Times in 582 Posts

What you can and can't do varies by state in the USA. Talking on a mobile phone while driving is banned in 15 states only.. /weird

Premium Member
    Thanks

First deployed in NSW where the cheapest fines of the country are

Get them out in Queensland, that will get the message across
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

eaglem (13-05-20)

Thanks

i say those who have been fined are total fkwits , the cameras were up and running for 2 months before the
    fines started being sent out and everyone was warned and even signs are on
    the roads saying it.

All those caught during the test phase were sent notices that they were caught but no fine
    was issued just a very big warning.

Bring it on in QLD, on a daily basis i will see at least a dozen people on
    the phone around cooly and surfers and at a grand a pop that will teach them.

• The Following User Says Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

shred (13-05-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

So, does the Camera/Cameras take photos of every single vehicle (Bike, Car, Truck, Bus, etc), then some Human examines them?
    Or are the images put through an Automated Detection Process, then those with positive results are forwarded to a Human for final examination?

I can't imagine it is totally automated

EDIT: When you Google....

The cameras use artificial intelligence to automatically review images, detect offending drivers, and exclude images of non-offending drivers from further action. Images that the automated system considers likely to contain a driver illegally using a mobile phone are verified by authorised personnel.
    I wonder what else they will see inside vehicles???

3. How does the technology work?
    The mobile phone detection camera system incorporates a number of cameras and an infra-red flash to capture clear images of passing vehicles in all traffic and weather conditions.
    The artificial intelligence software automatically reviews images and detects potential offending drivers, and excludes images of non-offending drivers from further action.
    Images that are automatically deemed likely to contain a mobile phone offence will be verified by appropriately-trained personnel. Images rejected by the artificial intelligence will typically be permanently deleted within an hour of detection.
    Both fixed and transportable versions of the cameras use the same camera technology.

4. Is the system completely automated or does a human check the images?

The artificial intelligence software automatically reviews images and detects potential offending drivers, and excludes images of non-offending drivers from further action.
    An authorised adjudicator will always check images to confirm that illegal mobile phone use has occurred before issuing a penalty notice.
    This process is similar to other camera enforcement programs in NSW. All speeding and red-light offences that are captured by cameras automatically are adjudicated to verify details within the images, including number plates, before a penalty notice is issued.
    The system has been designed to include strict security requirements. This includes ensuring that all images captured by the cameras that do not contain evidence of an offence are rapidly and permanently deleted.

Obviously Police and AFP and exempt because they have a very good reason to be driving while talking on the phone.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 13-05-20 at 09:52 AM.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,079 Times in 9,094 Posts

Obviously Police and AFP and exempt because they have a very good reason to be driving while talking on the phone.
    Yeah well. I posted here once how I had almost had a head on with a cop because she was on the phone. If it wasn't for her partner in the passenger seat grabbing the wheel we would have collided as I had nowhere to go.....do they have training in distraction driving? I'll bet they don't.

As long as these things are accurate I have no problem with them.

I also posted here about getting pulled over in Qld (you know the place, you used to be able to drive there from interstate) by a cop who accused me of being on the phone when all I was doing was leaning on my hand in heavy slow traffic. He was persuaded of my innocence when I was able to show him that I had inbuilt hands free and my phone was in the boot where I always have it when I travel.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (13-05-20),ol' boy (13-05-20),shred (13-05-20)

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Yes they are because they cannot have a accident when using their phones because they are police, also when it comes to social distances for COVID 19 as they must have special medicine that they cannot get COVID 19 because the police are that close to each other that they can kiss each other and never get the disease and never been fined. The same goes with Speeding, they can speed and never have a accident. They can speed in their own car and if they get caught by a Speed camera they go FASTER and FASTER and pull the first car in front of them and say something in wrong with your car and they take the rego and detail of that car that they pulled over and the Cop drive away and using this info to get away from a paying the Fine.
    Yes they are a special breed, also they are exempt from Hooning offenses because they lose control of their car on a wet road in a intersection going through a RED light and crash into you whist your stopped at a set of traffic light going the other way (waiting for the BANG) and yet 100 Police come to the scene and breath test you when you are still for 3 minutes waiting for the light to go green and don't breath test the Police that causes the accident Ooooh yeah they have a special pill and most of us would like it but cant get until you get that badge.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

george65 (13-05-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

As it is considered an offence just having the phone sitting on your lap.
    I hope they can tell the difference between a phone in a leather case (mine always have been) and wallet/card carrier of the same look and shape

As i side note, i remember everyone was up in arms about people talking on the phone while driving
    That seems so bloody safe compared to texting, scrolling, posting on social media while driving

At least with talking on the phone, you had both eyes on the road, scanning around, using the mirrors
    Is it really that different to using a UHF radio?

Has there been a law regarding the use of headphones while driving?
    I see so many people now walking around with those tiny wifi ear buds in...

Of course, if anything happens, it would all fall back to “Failure to drive with due care and attention”
    Last edited by ol' boy; 13-05-20 at 11:06 AM.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

At least with talking on the phone, you had both eyes on the road, scanning around, using the mirrors
    Is it really that different to using a UHF radio?
    Agreed! Given the number of distractions in any modern cop car, I'd even put texting as a "safer" practice.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks

Holding a Mobile UHF Phone to your ear while driving = $$$ Fine and Demerit Points

Holding a portable UHF handheld radio to your ear while driving = OK

Holding a Microphone of a fitted UHF Radio to your ear while driving = OK

Of course, it doesn't just have to be a CB radio, could be a HF Radio, but you get the idea

It's not like a Vehicle CB is just a simple "Push to Talk" affair anymore either.... More buttons and options than you can poke a stick at.

ACT: mobile phone includes any other wire less hand-held device designed or capable of being used for telecommunication other than a CB radio or any other 2-way radio. [Road Transport (Safety and Traffic Management) Regulation 2000, section 30B, subsection 3].

NSW: mobile phone does not include a CB radio or any other two-way radio. [Road Rules 2014, Rule 300, paragraph 4].

VIC: mobile phone does not include a CB radio or any other two way radio [Road Safety Road Rules 2009, Rule 300, paragraph 4].

QLD: mobile phone does not include a CB radio or any other two-way radio. [Transport Operations (Road Use Management-Road Rules) Regulation 2009, section 300, subsection 2].

SA: mobile phone does not include a CB radio or any other two way radio [Australian Road Rules 2014, Rule 300, paragraph 4].

WA: mobile phone does not include a CB radio or any other two way radio [Road Traffic Code 2000, Regulation 265, paragraph 1].

TAS: mobile phone does not include a CB radio or any other two way radio [Road Rules 2009, Rule 300, paragraph 4].

NT: mobile phone does not include a CB radio or any other two way radio [Australian Road Rules 2014, Rule 300, paragraph 4].

I guess it all depends what you are holding at the time

Last edited by ol' boy; 13-05-20 at 02:23 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

From some Googling regarding NSW Mobile Phone cameras, seems some people have received notices for holding a drink bottle a hair brush and UHF Radios

I guess for the price a single fine, you can fit an Android Head Unit and enjoy all the destractions a mobile phone has to offer, and more, while looking completely legal as far as an over head camera is concerned
    Just don't let a following officer spot you
    Last edited by ol' boy; 13-05-20 at 01:27 PM.

Thanks

You must be using the UHF wrong, my mic never goes near my ear. In fact i usually hold it down low on my lap, the external speaker is under my seat so hear it clearly even when the radio is on.

• The Following User Says Thank You to loanrangiel For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (13-05-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by loanrangiel View Post
    You must be using the UHF wrong, my mic never goes near my ear. In fact i usually hold it down low on my lap, the external speaker is under my seat so hear it clearly even when the radio is on.
    Is that why....

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

Maybe some intrepid entrepreneur could develop mobile phone that works like a two way...................
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast