Thread: Severe Problems with C-Band LNB and 5G signals Fixed

Premium Member
    Thanks

Default Severe Problems with C-Band LNB and 5G signals Fixed

About 5 houses from my home a 3G and 4G Tower was reconfigured to also have 5G Last and this year
    I have Installed Satellite dishes since 1985 first in the USA then I moved to Australia have put in many C-Band and Ku-Band antennas until 6 years ago when I lost a right foot below the knee. Can walk now but can't climb ladders but for myself I still do things slower.

I live south of Brisbane Australia about 15 miles and had a 2.3 meter mesh dish with a Zinwell C-band LNB which worked on Intelsat I-19 166E good but since they started 5G test and now regular transmissions I lost many transponders. So while looking why I found out that some had good signal using a SatKing C-BAND 5G FILTER LNBF model SKU-3103. I don't sell these this only a report on how it worked.

So after buying this new LNBF I was not happy with how the LNBF fitted into the LNB holder so it would not fit into the Zinwell C-Band LNBF holder so I gently enlarged the old holder so the fit was snug and easier to adjust. I aimed with a meter and got a much stronger signal than the Zinwell. Hooked up to the reciever and got all on I-19 166E Even NZTV which can now be recieved with a Biss reciever. And FTA pictures are clear and sharp and because of Covid19 Phillapine canels are free now and all sharp pictures.

I hope this post help fellow members for 5G is going all over the world and I see that there are problems with the older LNB's that must of let in side signals.
    Now my next project is fitting one of these To my 10 foot dish used for Circular Polarisation which I have used a Zinwell C-Band LNB and lost signals on NSS9 and another satalitte(don't worry I know I can't spell at times)

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bellesdad For This Useful Post:

David071 (24-05-20),hazman (19-05-20),Mr 672A (19-05-20),OSIRUS (08-06-21),Supermega (15-05-20),Tiny (19-05-20)

Look Here ->
    The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Eventually this 5 g shit will hit out area as we have a tower about 600M away. I will need one like yours with two LNB ports not one also need two of the orthomode ones. Where did you buy it from?
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 19-05-20 at 10:57 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bellesdad View Post

So after buying this new LNBF I was not happy with how the LNBF fitted into the LNB holder so it would not fit into the Zinwell C-Band LNBF holder so I gently enlarged the old holder so the fit was snug and easier to adjust.
    If you intend on using your old existing feed horns, These Pauxis 5G LNB's branded Satking and earlier Mediastar's require filing the center hole of the feedhorns, I find the thin feed horn scalar ring which comes with the LNB degrading the performance.

The Superfeed purchased a while ago increased the MER by 1dB. Center hole has removable tabs to fit any LNB.. no filing was needed.
    Last edited by B52; 17-11-20 at 02:49 PM.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to B52 For This Useful Post:

carjackma (17-11-20),gulliver (18-02-21),Mr 672A (18-11-20)

Thanks

Last edited by B52; 18-02-21 at 04:53 PM.

Thanks

And so the saga continues, you replace the old LNB with a 5G filtered LNB, the Spanish couple in their 90th are happy and you even got paid. 2 weeks later they call, the dropouts returned, you try other brands of 5G's but no joy.. Sounds familiar ?
    you look up and see the guys in the cherry picker are at it on the tower near by. Check the signal on the spec and you can see a few unwelcomed spikes emerging from 3700MHz so now we need an LNB on which the gain drops to -60dB at 3750Mhz meaning the LNB will work from 3.8 to 4.2 GHz..
    Last edited by B52; 25-02-21 at 01:33 AM.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

sounds to me like some one needs to work out some wave lengths and then start building a lnb with individual filters and its not that hard to do your self , you need to know the interfering frequency and bandwidth and polarity then tap some screws into the feed horn at the appropriate distance from the 75 ohm bar in the feed horn throat before the antenna (V OR HOZ) THE DIAMETER OF THE SCREWS WILL BE AROUND 3-4 MM and spaced between 0.20-0.25 wavelengths from the antenna . It is critical that the internal antenna is not to long so it works only on the intended band so it may be necessary to trim its length to the 3.8 ghz frequency . This will have the effect of raising the resonant frequency and provide more isolation from the interfering frequency IE the further away the higher the impedance and more isolation . practice putting a ship in a bottle skills lol Remember that the manufacturers put it together so you can dismantle it . the theory is that you introduce antennas in the throat which are short circuited therefore are a attenuation on the unwanted frequency the more antennas the more the sucking out of the frequency , being at about quarter wave apart it will work on both the e and m waves so a min of two are required four is better as they add together . There is another way but its very fiddly that is to put half wave dipoles across the center line of the throat but the mounting is awkward as no metal can be involved in the mounts and also no movement as it will upset the wanted freq as well and setting the distances is almost impossible , thats enough thinking for today cheers don

Thanks

As per the allocated 5G in the 3.6Ghz band. This band is 3575-3700 MHz. Recently in some areas they have activated on or near enough to 3700Mhz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bellesdad View Post
    So while looking why I found out that some had good signal using a SatKing C-BAND 5G FILTER LNBF model SKU-3103. I don't sell these this only a report on how it worked.
    The Mediastar one look the same as the SatKing version.

Sat King

Does anyone know how the Sat King one has worked compared to the Mediastar blue one?

I tried the Mediastar blue and it was a fail.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by B52 View Post
    As per the allocated 5G in the 3.6Ghz band. This band is 3575-3700 MHz. Recently in some areas they have activated on or near enough to 3700Mhz
    I have a dirty great peak on the spectro at the beginning of the spectrum that pulses in time with the picture dropouts....

• The Following User Says Thank You to theslydog For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (19-05-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theslydog View Post
    Does anyone know how the Sat King one has worked compared to the Mediastar blue one?
    I tried the Mediastar blue and it was a fail.
    Both are made by Pauxis China.
    The Blue Mediastar on Asia 5, EU Bouquet 3860 V. Turning the LNB V/H orientation so that 3860 comes on Horizontal got acceptable outcome. Blind rescan required. Also one cable solution with 5G filter not too bad.

Since August last year I have done many 5G changeovers for Asiasat 5, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish audience They all worked great until about 2 months ago when further 5G upgrades are being rolled out. Some sites are OK other sites work during the evening, I guess less 5G traffic and some sites have gone for IPTV cause nothing worked.

Spanish on 3840 H very challenging. Every site is different, dishes mounted high on the roof are more vulnerable, so is the distance to the telco tower.
    Last edited by B52; 20-05-21 at 12:38 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to B52 For This Useful Post:

hos here (20-05-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by B52 View Post
    Also one cable solution with 5G filter not too bad.

Spanish on 3840 H very challenging. Every site is different, dishes mounted high on the roof are more vulnerable, so is the distance to the telco tower.
    Yeah, I managed to get RAI International by lowering a dish to the ground and below fence line for an old Italian couple.

TVE with FEC of 5/6 is particularly difficult. Getting worse as more 5G turned on.

Not tried the one cable solution yet.
    But so far the improvements with LNBF with 5G filter are pretty useless.
    Makes improvements but not enough to keep the picture fully stable.

Also people don't want to shift a dish with no guarantees and only a chance it might work.

Thanks

Sat King

I was given a dual SatKing 5G filter like the above single to test today.

On my spectro it completely removed the 5G interference.
    I got a good stable picture and no bouncing quality so that is pretty pleasing.

Dunno how long it will stay gone for...

If I stick a std LNB no 5G filter on the spectro with no dish and just point the LNB in my hand at the tower I get a whopping big 5G peak.

No peak doing the same with the SatKing with 5G filter.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theslydog For This Useful Post:

harryt (15-06-21),hos here (29-05-21)

Thanks

I was given a dual SatKing 5G filter like the above single to test today.

On my spectro it completely removed the 5G interference.
    I got a good stable picture and no bouncing quality so that is pretty pleasing.

Dunno how long it will stay gone for...
    I tried one in a different location this week and the 5G signal must be stronger and was not completely gone.

The meter held a signal ok but the picture stuttered along a little bit.

On the customers Strong Rx the picture was fine though.

How long it says that way is anyone's guess.

Thanks

If you really want fun and games put the dish on vinasat at 132E or Laosat at 128.5E which are active 3400 to 3600 mhz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by apsattv View Post
    If you really want fun and games put the dish on vinasat at 132E or Laosat at 128.5E which are active 3400 to 3600 mhz
    A total write off unless you live in the bush

• 03-07-21, 06:15 PM

Reason
    Deleted per poster's request via support ticket. Not relevant to Australia

• 03-07-21, 06:25 PM

Reason
    Deleted per poster's request via support ticket. Not relevant to Australia