Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Because I'm 90 Doesn't Mean I'm Ready To Die ― Or Disposable

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Default Just Because I'm 90 Doesn't Mean I'm Ready To Die ― Or Disposable

If we all had that attitude, the world would likely be a better place!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

eaglem (18-05-20),enf (17-05-20),fred49au (18-05-20),gulliver (17-05-20),Landytrack (18-05-20),tristen (18-05-20)

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

that's why it's important to keep fit, eat well etc when younger. You can't get that all back when you turn 65, you need to do it now. I'm trying to make sure I'm fit enough to keep going past 65 as I'l like to be mobile til at least 80.
    But one of the biggest things I've found is you need to be mentally active otherwise you become bored. I've just started back at TAFE this year so I'm busy where as before I was bored with a non stimulating job, didn't mind having a beer so as a result, unmotivated to do things a lot of the time, even things I enjoyed!
    I started volunteering at a local aged care facility and always left with a smile on my face. The oldies were always happy to see me and enjoyed a yarn. Well I should point out part of the reason was that I'd been cleaning there a few years earlier and I didn't like the cleaning so much but enjoyed the interaction of the residents. Yes not all are fit and well but many are and regardless they enjoy a visit.
    So I went back to volunteer to see if this is what I'd like to do as a career change. As you get older I think you feel like giving back a little and I thought this is a small way. You wouldn't do it for the money. So I've just started casual care work. You either enjoy it or you don't. But don't get me wrong, I don't enjoy all facets of it lol. But I think they are all appreciative of what you do and as a result that brings a smile to my face.
    So as a result I have started an EN course. I figured I have one more career change in me. But it's been a bit challenging in the current corona environment.

• The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

ammlione (19-05-20),eaglem (18-05-20),gulliver (18-05-20),hazman (18-05-20),Landytrack (18-05-20),lsemmens (18-05-20),ol' boy (17-05-20),tristen (18-05-20),VroomVroom (18-05-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

If you're 90 and not ready to die then you're going to be in for a bit of a surprise because odds are not in your favour.

The mortality rate for 90 year olds is about 4% and that's before the virus.
    There is no flatenning this curve, lets face it.... you're a goner. You're already past average life expectancy.
    If it is a choice of an 18 year old or you for a ventilator then you know what decision triage is going to make. Sorry, times up! Elvis has left the building, you should too.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (19-05-20)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    If you're 90 and not ready to die then you're going to be in for a bit of a surprise because odds are not in your favour.

The mortality rate for 90 year olds is about 4% and that's before the virus.
    There is no flatenning this curve, lets face it.... you're a goner. You're already past average life expectancy.
    If it is a choice of an 18 year old or you for a ventilator then you know what decision triage is going to make. Sorry, times up! Elvis has left the building, you should too.

You seem to be missing something VITAL in that graph.
    Between 1999 and 2010 the peak shifted from about 83 to 88. That is 5 years extra life expectancy in only 11 years.
    Extrapolate that until you think you are gonna die on old age.

Some people are finding out that healthy food, balanced low cholesterol diet with the right proteins matter for healthy brain function. Brain needs the right food to think and keep active so they won't have to die in an age care facility as a vegetable.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (19-05-20),Landytrack (18-05-20),tristen (18-05-20)

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Here in Australia a young child around 12 to 16 years old is worth 100% more that a old person. A young person that commits MURDER gets 4 to 8 years jail and even that they get out jail a lot early (they use the card that they have been sexual abused) because of do gooders but if a man (Forget woman as they have special law for a Woman) but if a man around 45 to whatever older age kill a child he gets life which is about 25 years and after he does 25 years the parole in most states most will find or manufacture reason to keep him in jail. Yes a Child life is worth more that us older persons all you need to do is watch SKY NEWS on win to tell you that.

LSemmens
    Thanks

From those graphs, it appears that mortality rates start to improve once you are over 99 so, my plan is to get to 105 and then, according to that graph, I can live forever!

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Landytrack (18-05-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

I've never wanted to live past 80yo, tops. Nor have I thought of myself as anything -but- disposable, because I grew up with ...and the fact I saw what that did to one of my uncles (Vietnam War).

As for the young being worth more than the elderly...yeah, well, I've had to deal with that aspect in a tacit way ~ 15 years ago while still in my mid 40's, and with no cure for HCV on the horizon, I was offered to be put on the list for a liver transplant. I declined, for exactly this reason ; even folks 20years younger than myself, would make more 'use' of that transplant, than I ever possibly could ; the young have longer to live, simple as that.

And when I die, my body goes back to medical science, not the morgue, crematorium or funeral service & a hole in the ground...why? So that all those younger aspiring medicos & surgeons can hone their skills and perhaps help folks that haven't even been born yet.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (25-05-20),enf (18-05-20),LeroyPatrol (19-05-20),lsemmens (18-05-20)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,964 Times in 9,060 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    I've never wanted to live past 80yo, tops. Nor have I thought of myself as anything -but- disposable, because I grew up with ...and the fact I saw what that did to one of my uncles (Vietnam War).

As for the young being worth more than the elderly...yeah, well, I've had to deal with that aspect in a tacit way ~ 15 years ago while still in my mid 40's, and with no cure for HCV on the horizon, I was offered to be put on the list for a liver transplant. I declined, for exactly this reason ; even folks 20years younger than myself, would make more 'use' of that transplant, than I ever possibly could ; the young have longer to live, simple as that.

And when I die, my body goes back to medical science, not the morgue, crematorium or funeral service & a hole in the ground...why? So that all those younger aspiring medicos & surgeons can hone their skills and perhaps help folks that haven't even been born yet.
    Pretty much ditto, except it was my cousin and my heart.....

If they want my corpse (which I doubt) they can have it.....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

gulliver (25-05-20),wotnot (18-05-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    If they want my corpse (which I doubt) they can have it.....
    You might be surprised - people to talk to are the physicians/surgeons training unit at a hospital specializing in that area ; for me, that's the PA Hospital in brissy, but I know not all hospitals provide this service.

LSemmens
    Thanks

I actually tried to give my wife's body to those who could learn from her (she had many unusual issues), nobody seemed interested. These days, much of that stuff is done using a computer, so donating your body is not so simple any more.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

enf (18-05-20),wotnot (18-05-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Could be, in my case, they consider it an extension of my (annual) participation as a patient in the RACPS examinations -- ...like I say, needs to be the 'right' hospital.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    You seem to be missing something VITAL in that graph.
    Between 1999 and 2010 the peak shifted from about 83 to 88. That is 5 years extra life expectancy in only 11 years.
    Extrapolate that until you think you are gonna die on old age.
    Yea, you have to be careful because this graph does not tell the full story.
    The average mortality age used to be 67 in Australia. It meant that if you got to 67, half of your friends your age should be dead already.
    That mortality age is now about 72. So while the average life expectancy is higher about 82 years, if you get to this age, your friends around you are dropping like flies. Of course as you get over the hump, there are just less of your friends. The numbers of the general population mask the higher mortality within the age group.

That huge superannuation ... it took you 50 years to save it. You've got 10 years to spend it if you're lucky.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (19-05-20),lsemmens (19-05-20)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

Shit all this talking of age of death is pretty annoying and totally useless , tomorrow you may be hit by a bus . Really who gives a damn if your alive or dead the pollies dont ,the virus dont ,the relatives are swooping in anticipation ,the tax man wants to know the date time and if your paid up . the lawyers are standing there rubbing their hands , the religions are lining up , sallies have already asked you for a touch in the will, along with everyone else begging for a slice , if there is going to be a feeding . Me I dont give a shit alive or dead they will still be picking the bones but I have made my trap for them , A fvcking BIG mess to clean up . I just buy what I want regardless of whether Im going to use it again so the piles just get higher , man theres some good shit in it too. And IM HAPPY LIVING IN IT , my mates come round here and borrow stuff they all say youve got everything here , yep I have , well most of it .
    the other thing I enjoy is the jealousy I bring out in people love it They all say "If I was you I would " so they all fall into the trap So if I die next "minute" I will go laughing my head off , I know I have helped heaps of others , My hair Is grey/white My penis is still working as it should, and I dont care any more !!! hahahahaha

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hinekadon For This Useful Post:

hca (26-05-20),lsemmens (19-05-20),Uncle Fester (19-05-20)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Yep Don, you nailed most of it, just the bit with the bus, I still look before I cross a road, some strange habit from the past I guess.
    I sure don't envy those who will have clean up the mess I will leave behind either.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 19-05-20 at 01:49 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (19-05-20)

LSemmens
    Thanks

We stopped for the "bus" (actually a Road Train, so a little bigger) and got cleaned up by a drunk in an F100! I've already done the dead bit, apparently Heaven wasn't prepared for me and Satan has a restraining order against me, so, you buggers get me!

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (19-05-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 580 Posts

Hehe.. All this talk about death has got me all paranoid, so I'm going for a walk because I want to stay healthy.
    Taking along a box of M&M's because let's be honest here. LOL

After the long walk i have decided that tonights dinner will be something healthy also..
    Yep, You picked it.. Subway is definitely the healthiest fast food available because they make you get out of the car. LOL

My plan is to depart this planet leaving someone a massive debt.. lol
    Last edited by Johnno; 19-05-20 at 03:10 PM.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Johnno For This Useful Post:

gulliver (25-05-20),hinekadon (19-05-20),LeroyPatrol (19-05-20),lsemmens (20-05-20)

Banned

Thanks

Glad to see we are all on the same page but who will chicken out and clean-up before departure , I bet trash has every thing labeled and priced all wrapped up in nice little bundles to keep it in order and printed card on all ????? hahaha the devil will win !!!! I have gone one better I made a bet with my doctor that I could wear out my dick before I die ? So the race is on lol lol

• The Following User Says Thank You to hinekadon For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (20-05-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hinekadon View Post
    I bet trash has every thing labeled and priced all wrapped up in nice little bundles to keep it in order and printed card on all ????? hahaha the devil will win !!!!
    You philosophical phuckers are going to enjoy this one.
    I own a bus.
    When you throw yourself under it, don't be surprised if I reverse up

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (20-05-20),lsemmens (20-05-20)

Banned

Thanks

does it move as well ! thats hard to believe lol what you reckon unkie ????? bet he dont live in it tho ????? lol

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hinekadon For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (20-05-20),Uncle Fester (20-05-20)

Thanks

hahaha .. it does move and I do live in it. (from time to time)

As Matthew Mcconaughey said in the Dark Tower.... Looks like I've got me a stalker.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast