Thread: Launch Abort Spacex

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

Default Launch Abort Spacex

Launch America aborted. Weather kills it off at T minus 17.00....

3 day delay.

Bummer....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (28-05-20)

Look Here ->
    LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Watch this space.................................groannn! (Sorry, couldn't resist)
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Sucked in, you sat up all night waiting for it
    It's not worth it if you're watching it on TV.
    If you're out there watching it live on the other hand... It sucks when they scrub a launch but so worth it when you get to see one.
    I had an 11pm shuttle launch that did get off until three hours later. I was surprised how many people left after an hour and they pushed it back another 90 minutes after that.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Cape Canaveral has the crappiest weather.
    Why an earth don't they use the Mojave space port at least until they can figure out how to design rockets that can start in all weather.

You can't expect the rich who pay 100's of millions for these space flight's to abort possibly 10 times and in the last minute until they get pristine weather.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 29-05-20 at 12:30 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

Designing rockets that can launch in all weather could be a bit challenging. Part of the risk aversion around launching in bad weather is due to fear of lightning strikes. Apollo 12 was struck by lightning twice in the first minute of its flight, throwing systems offline and almost causing NASA to abort the mission. This was the incident that led to the now famous “Try SCE to AUX” advice from Mission Control.

It was this near miss that made NASA aware that a huge trail of hot ionised gas reaching all the way to the ground formed an excellent lightning rod and they became wary of launching in even in weak cold front weather conditions.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Spacex. Filling the air with all sorts of god knows what and emissions owned by the same guy that tells you his other company is going to save the world with products that have Zero emissions.

Hypocrisy at it's finest.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    Designing rockets that can launch in all weather could be a bit challenging. Part of the risk aversion around launching in bad weather is due to fear of lightning strikes. Apollo 12 was struck by lightning twice in the first minute of its flight, throwing systems offline and almost causing NASA to abort the mission. This was the incident that led to the now famous “Try SCE to AUX” advice from Mission Control.

It was this near miss that made NASA aware that a huge trail of hot ionised gas reaching all the way to the ground formed an excellent lightning rod and they became wary of launching in even in weak cold front weather conditions.

I am aware of that, hence my suggestion to do all these launches at the Mojave desert, not only perfect weather but the first 800m of altitude are free.

When I said design for all weather I was being a bit futuristic I suppose but Branson's effort is pointing that way by using an aircraft to launch his VSS Unity.
    Yes the concept needs to be expanded to reach the 400km orbit of the ISS.

Incidentally he is using the Mojave space port.

Falcon Heavy rockets serve a much difference purpose and need to be started from the ground of course but the small Dragon capsule could be sent off much more comfortable and elegant than the outdated method Musk is using.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

They made it.

Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    They made it.

Well here is a link to the actual launch, although those interested would have seen it by now:

...and in the rain too or was that sweat from the camera man that ran down the lens

Interesting to watch the meters, that full thrust is actually applied at around 12km alt after they have gone supersonic and shortly before main cut off they are experiencing the likes of 0-100km/h in one second.
    Would have been nice to see the fuel flow meter(s).

Live stream on the way to the ISS:
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 31-05-20 at 12:36 PM.

Thanks

Here is a docking simulator where you can have a go at manually docking Dragon onto the ISS:

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

enf (31-05-20),lsemmens (31-05-20)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Well here is a link to the actual launch, although those interested would have seen it by now:

The link that I posted was to the live feed, & if you had been patient & found your way back or forward to the launch, it is right there.
    It was still live when I posted it.
    You just need to look for T plus or T minus & go in the right direction.

Sorry for bothering. GFYSYOCP
    Last edited by Tiny; 31-05-20 at 07:45 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

<Rude word> You! Fester, I'm now wasting more and more time trying to dock the stupid thing!!!!!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (31-05-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    The link that I posted was to the live feed, & if you had been patient & found your way back or forward to the launch, it is right there.
    It was still live when I posted it.
    You just need to look for T plus or T minus & go in the right direction.

Sorry for bothering. GFYSYOCP
    I don't see any wrong doing of posting a link of the actual launch rather than sifting through hours of video.

Please explain: GFYSYOCP

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Docking complete.

Jump to 6 hours 10 minutes zero seconds, 6: 10 :00 for final ten minutes of docking; or earlier for some footage of sunrise & orbit adjustment firing.

Key moments you can jump to:
    1. Sunrise
    2. Docking Timeline
    3. Telemetry model
    4. View of Dragon from ISS (on approach 50km away)
    5. Flight Day Highlights
    6: Dragon to Houston (4 items for mission)
    7. View of Dragon from ISS (on approach 35km away)
    8. Dragon Media Event
    9. Approach
    10. External Views ISS + Dragon on Approach
    11. Dragon and Earth
    12. Dragon manual piloting test
    13. Dragon docking
    14. Communication from Bob and Doug (Post docking)
    15. ISS and Dragon decompression/prep for hatch opening
    16. Hatch opening
    17. Bob and Doug entering ISS
    Last edited by Tiny; 01-06-20 at 12:50 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (01-06-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Watched some coverage (or tried to) on YT ..the NASA vid ...think I lasted 2minutes but the continual America, America!, AMERICA!! hype had me switch off.

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

enf (01-06-20)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Watched some coverage (or tried to) on YT ..the NASA vid ...think I lasted 2minutes but the continual America, America!, AMERICA!! hype had me switch off.
    Agreed, but I figured I'd cut'em some slack this once.....hard though...
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    I am aware of that, hence my suggestion to do all these launches at the Mojave desert, not only perfect weather but the first 800m of altitude are free.
    Sorry for the late response, but I've been working or out of range.

To answer this question is actually very simple. It's not where it is, It's what is down range? (downtown USA).
    Rockets have a nasty habit of doing the wrong thing and when they do, it's a lot of metal that falls from the sky often accompanied by a big explosion.
    Picture bits of challenger coming down on the strip in Las Vegas.

Then there is the matter of aborting a manned launch. It works out better for everybody if they crash land in water.
    Now you're going to suggest the Russians do all of this over land and sometimes so do the Chinese.
    The Chinese have already flown a Long March rocket into a neighbouring town, so there's that.
    The Russians have been recycling their first stages for decades. Crews go out and recover the crashed boosters and first stage in Kazakhstan and Siberia.
    As for an aborted Soyuz launch, well that is a damn rough ride for the cosomonauts who are pulling high G's and then there is that retro rocket landing followed by what can only be described as a metal can version of Zorbing.

So that is one of the reasons why an East Coast launch facility is used. It's the same reason why we originally chose Cape York for an Australian space port.
    Insert your jokes here about our stone age cousins keeping Australia in the stone age.
    To be fair we know they would have got a shit deal out of it anyway. With a bit of luck we'll get the chance to build a world class space port which isn't obstructed by the Greens or lands councils and that has a program that supports a selective school for aboriginal kids that live on council lands.
    Given them education and boarding away from the bad influences of the cuzins.
    It's not a solution for aboriginal poverty but it's part of a solution. The more aboriginals that are raised to a middle class the more chance they have of influencing the next generation and prevent them from becoming gronks.

I joke with some of my aboriginal friends, "Who's gunna be the first abo or cuz in space eh?"
    "Haven't you seen Star Trek Trash? No Aboriginals, they don't work in the future either!"
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

Tiny (06-06-20),william10 (07-06-20)

• 28-05-21, 01:37 PM