Thread: With the yanks in the past

Thanks

Default With the yanks in the past

Once we did some positive things with the yanks. Probably quite a few older forum members carer paths and interests were molded buy these subsequent events.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Relative to topic;

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

That video is downright Annoying wotnot!!!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

enf (03-06-20),Uncle Fester (03-06-20),wotnot (03-06-20)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    That video is downright Annoying wotnot!!!
    My thoughts exactly....watched the first 20 seconds or so and though "F*ck this!"

Skipped forward to near the end and thought "F*ck this!"
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

gulliver (04-06-20),wotnot (03-06-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

It's encouraging to see the message got through =)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    It's encouraging to see the message got through =)
    Nothing to do with the message, whatever it was....just a monotonous rap like dirge..............
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

wotnot (03-06-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Nothing to do with the message, whatever it was....just a monotonous rap like dirge..............
    Hmmm... monotonous rap like dirge ; yes, that's a pretty good interpretation.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hmmm... monotonous rap like dirge ; yes, that's a pretty good interpretation.
    Hmmmmm... so the point of the post was?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Hmmmmmm... I'd be delighted to tell you the purpose of the post,
    it was not a piss take, it was an attempt to, maybe poorly worded, but create a sensible discussion the would not become a baiting and slanging match or a racist hate fest.

Here and now I admit I only had in mind only the comments pertaining to the Canarvon station at the beginning but lets face it, it was recorded in a different era, I thought that was obvious, things were different once. My bad, as White Ox said "I thought you blokes were better than that".

I thought the opening of one of the most important but forgotten tracking stations of the space race era of which very little evidence remains, and that it was operated by Australians might be of interest here considering the yanks needed the data from that radar at Canarvon to verify the orbit entry of all launches from the Cape, practice and prove rendezvous and docking during Gemini over the Pacific as it explained early on if you had listened, and they would later from Canarvon confirm positions of all of Apollo craft before leaving earth orbit enroute to the moon and return with that same Canarvon radar. It was pretty important, if they left earth orbit from the wrong place at the wrong time over and north of Australia they would have missed the moon gone and gone past Pluto. TLI and return normally happened over Nth Australia with communications from Australia and or Australian launched (at the time) ARIA aircraft.

I also thought the beginning of, what in the end, grew to be the effort of some 400 Australians and several Australian tracking stations made it possible to do the whole moon thing in the way it was done, was something Australia and the US did together that was positive and that a forum frequented by sat TV and electronics hobbyists and professionals could discuss with out a shitfight!

And further I thought a few members here had work lives (yes old farts like me) motivated by these things when they were kids!.

Or will the bulldust endeavors of 3 blokes and a bit of blonde country fluff in the "Dish" movie be the historical legacy of Australia's contribution.

And while I am at it, hoax conspiracy addicts, before you start go and learn in depth about radio ranging and positioning for survey, how aircraft VOR, DME, TACAN works, how the Collins USB system worked, then line up a Ku bird with a big dish, before you start any dick can find 100 watts at 36,000, find it on the Moon with that dish..

Gentlemen,
    Last edited by hca; 04-06-20 at 05:36 AM. Reason: comma in the wrong place

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hca For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (05-06-20),humax300 (04-06-20),kclar (15-06-20)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hca View Post
    Hmmmmmm... I'd be delighted to tell you the purpose of the post,
    it was not a piss take, it was an attempt to, maybe poorly worded, but create a sensible discussion the would not become a baiting and slanging match or a racist hate fest.

Here and now I admit I only had in mind only the comments pertaining to the Canarvon station at the beginning but lets face it, it was recorded in a different era, I thought that was obvious, things were different once. My bad, as White Ox said "I thought you blokes were better than that".

I thought the opening of one of the most important but forgotten tracking stations of the space race era of which very little evidence remains, and that it was operated by Australians might be of interest here considering the yanks needed the data from that radar at Canarvon to verify the orbit entry of all launches from the Cape, practice and prove rendezvous and docking during Gemini over the Pacific as it explained early on if you had listened, and they would later from Canarvon confirm positions of all of Apollo craft before leaving earth orbit enroute to the moon and return with that same Canarvon radar. It was pretty important, if they left earth orbit from the wrong place at the wrong time over and north of Australia they would have missed the moon gone and gone past Pluto. TLI and return normally happened over Nth Australia with communications from Australia and or Australian launched (at the time) ARIA aircraft.

I also thought the beginning of, what in the end, grew to be the effort of some 400 Australians and several Australian tracking stations made it possible to do the whole moon thing in the way it was done, was something Australia and the US did together that was positive and that a forum frequented by sat TV and electronics hobbyists and professionals could discuss with out a shitfight!

And further I thought a few members here had work lives (yes old farts like me) motivated by these things when they were kids!.

Or will the bulldust endeavors of 3 blokes and a bit of blonde country fluff in the "Dish" movie be the historical legacy of Australia's contribution.

And while I am at it, hoax conspiracy addicts, before you start go and learn in depth about radio ranging and positioning for survey, how aircraft VOR, DME, TACAN works, how the Collins USB system worked, then line up a Ku bird with a big dish, before you start any dick can find 100 watts at 36,000, find it on the Moon with that dish..

Gentlemen,
    Jeeesus....I was asking the purpose of wotnots post, not yours........I just don't get it.

I remember the stuff in your post....standing on the front lawn in Fremantle with my old man watching John Glenn go over......

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

hca (04-06-20),lsemmens (04-06-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

@hca ~ thanks for expounding the reasons for your thread post, however you didn't need to ~ enf's question was (I believe) directed at myself, and I did understand your motivations here.

I find reflecting upon the words, 'With the yanks in the past', to be a long running, annoying, monotonous rap like dirge, wherein in my lifetime, their high points of technical prowess are more than overshadowed by their continual involvements in violence & war.

The first thing I think of, relative to 'With the yanks in the past', is the American civil war, and I'm left reflecting what is different, between our society & theirs. The 2nd thing I think of, relative to 'With the yanks in the past', is my uncle snapping after returning from the Vietnam war, when his wife took out the garbage in a black bag..and he nearly beat her to death, broke their whole family up, and is a stained memory I go to my grave with.

Even when it does come to technical prowess, I think of 'With the yanks in the past', and what happened to the crew of Challenger...and why. Then, the building on monitoring stations in Australia ; how much of that was scientific exploration, and how much of it was sword rattling during the Cold War.

Then...why the blazes am I looking at an American news-reel about these things, when I'm pretty sure there's similar stuff in the Australian Film Archives...presented by aussies, with an Australian point of view on the same subject matter?

Although I have nothing against seppos, and I have many friends in that part of the world, I am so sick and tired of hearing about the place, it annoys the crap out of me, and their continual nationalistic rap, *is* like a dirge, very really, and to me has become a monotonous diatribe that hasn't changed in decades.

Of course, I'll have to delete that video hoist in a week or so, just like last time, because 'With the yanks in the past' who run youtube, that content isn't considered 'free speech' or 'artistic expression' but rather as 'offensive'.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

hca (04-06-20),Uncle Fester (05-06-20)

Thanks

Like I said my original post was badly worded and vague so it made perfect sense to me, although in error for which I apologize to ENF, that ENF was asking why I used the link.

But I thought it was only right that I should clarify things best I could. That video is one of the few I have seen about that station and now only a few concrete foundations remain at most of those sites.

They were better times with the yanks, well at least some the news from there was a bit better then than these days, they were rioting at that time as well but at least it did not spread here and Europe. I cant really say because for years we have rarely watched any TV news here, better off without it, its all hyping other peoples misery anyway only started again because of the covid outbreak..

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hca For This Useful Post:

enf (04-06-20),lsemmens (04-06-20),wotnot (04-06-20)

LSemmens
    Thanks

I see from where you are coming, wotnot, it might have been better received and understood in relation to the "US riots" thread.

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

wotnot (04-06-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hca View Post

That video is one of the few I have seen about that station and now only a few concrete foundations remain at most of those sites.
    It appears you're right, I took the time to go eat my own words, and searched through the tomes of the Australian Film Archive looking for the footage I recall as a kid, and a black&white 'news-reel'

..before the main attraction, and it was about all the Australian tracking stations involved with the Apollo missions etc. I suppose it may yet turn up in the national sound & film archives one day, but it's a real shame how much of this old material has been lost over time.

Just speaking to topic again, how many of us know about the Battle for Brisbane? I have personally stood on that battle ground =) Sadly, it's mostly all been redeveloped now.

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    I see from where you are coming, wotnot, it might have been better received and understood in relation to the "US riots" thread.
    A most astute observation my friend, it was a call too hard to make -- I flipped a nickle =)

Thanks

This film of them putting things together is a bit more interesting ,it was taken by one of techs at Canarvon who later went to Honeysuckle Creek and took lots of photos there.
    The Honeysucklecreek.net website is the best repository of info on the tracking stations I have come across.

• The Following User Says Thank You to hca For This Useful Post:

hoe (05-06-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Relative to topic;
    note: video deleted ; if you missed it, c'est la vie

LSemmens
    Thanks

note: video deleted ; if you missed it, c'est la vie
    if you missed it, you ain't missing much!