Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Money for Nothing - Without Faggots!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    I used to use a reel to reel recorder to tape my music. Cassettes were "inferior" audio quality as they only recorded at 1 7/8 inches per second. I always recorded at 3 3/4ips though I did have the ability to go to 7 1/2". I've still got the tapes, the tape deck died years ago though I did pick up another "cheap and nasty" R-R that has never been used. FWIW I did go to cassette when I got my first car. (back in the 70s). Now, I only have CD's for the car, otherwise it's all stored on my file server. My hearing's shot, so MP3s are perfectly adequate for me now, more's the pity!
    Yes as I kid small I had been exposed to reel to reel twice, that is why when asked what did I want from Japan it was a reel to reel. But cassette was the new thing, I had never heard of till I received it. Still its was up to the AM radio of the day and I forgot about the reel to reel.

But its interesting reflecting on our first music that was not our parents. I swapped Abbey Road for Rick Wakemans 8 wives then came Darkside of the Moon and Eve. By the time we got through Chicago, Fleetwood Mac into Abba which was huge, I tuned out. Any thing before Beetles and after Abba left me stone cold, till today. Although its completely against our culture, later in life spending many years at sea with Philippino and Indonesian crews who loved karaoke, which basically we find horrid, with little option I eventually could make a good fist of a few of their songs which shocked some pub locals on Asian port calls. But I regard this as an exception.

Mum and I always hated each others music, I hated the kids music, they were much the same about mine. But strangely the older ones (40s now) play Abba to this day, the youngest (mid 20s), plays Shadows, Fleetwood, Status quo styles. All say they got it from me, some oldies made it through the age gap..

I think maybe we are "imprinted" in certain ages and basically its stays for life?
    Last edited by hca; 28-06-20 at 09:33 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to hca For This Useful Post:

gulliver (29-06-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Only us oldies still hoard our junk and honesty I would rather be dead than be without it.
    You have no idea how good that is to read. I do have a junk problem although getting better, but there are just some things that would feel like ripping my arms off If I didn't have them even though I rarely or ever use them. I just have to know they are there and that gives me a lot of contentment.

I have trouble explaining this to my father. He has NO attachment to ANYTHING. He's always at me and says when will I get rid of this or that and why keep it and my house must be like a junk yard. Got a bit old now. I tell him I'll never get rid of some things and I don't need a fking excuse to hang onto it, I'm old enough, big enough and way too much to handle for anyone to take it off me. I say things can sit in the cupboard where I know they are are and safe when I want to look at them or can sit in the shed if it has to and and it's no ones business but mine. I think he's got the message to shut the heck up about it now.

A Phsyc suggested to me some years ago that I could take photos of stuff before "passing it on". That does work for some things. I know I am far too sentimental which is why I want to hang onto things and when I have thrown stuff out, I usually fk up and throw out stuff I regret later and then look at stuff I kept and think I got it arse backwards.

I'm pretty clear on the meaningful things now so probably won't have to deal with that too much again.

Sometimes when I am a bit drunk I shred a bit (very poorly) and dream of producing film sound tracks.
    I would have loved to be able to sing. Unfortunately I couldn't hit a note with a tennis racquet. I haven't felt the motivation or happiness to sing as badly as I do for 5 years now. Even if I had a skerick of talent , the inspiration has long gone. Taken me years to be able to listen to music again.

The other great dream / regret is being able to play keyboards proficiently. Not an ounce of talent there either and I don't have the learning capacity to gfigure out all the sampling and effects now that would allow me to play what I would want to. Seems like beyond playing, one "Constructs" music now.
    I still can't get simple repetitions right even though I still try now and then.
    I'm a pathetic singer and have none of the skill required for playing an instrument beyond that of a 10 Yo child.
    If that.

So, so many regrets I have. :0(

• The Following User Says Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (29-06-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hca View Post
    Mum and I always hated each others music, I hated the kids music, they were much the same about mine. But strangely the older ones (40s now) play Abba to this day, the youngest (mid 20s), plays Shadows, Fleetwood, Status quo styles. All say they got it from me, some oldies made it through the age gap..
    My kids amazed me with the music they listened to from my generation.
    So many times they were stunned I knew songs word perfect for music they thought had just come out. My daughter surprised me on Friday. Was helping me outside and put on her hard style music she loves and was lamenting she wasn't in Amsterdam at the big Defqon festival over there she so loves. Geez she drives the wife and I insane with that doof doof hard style crap.

After I shit a kidney about that driving me insane and telling her I'd put a hammer through her new boom box setup ( or whatever they call a big portable these days) She put on INXS, Angles, Don Mclean, Cold Chisel and a bunch of other proper, mainly Aussie Music. I said did you copy all this off my tablet? She said No, This is all the other non hard style music I like.
    Nearly fell off the roof I was on! Guess I must have taught her something right after all. She makes me laugh and times and pisses me off at others. She Can't drive off in the car without spending 5-10 Min to find the exact right song on her phone before she can leave. Once going they just play though the list of what she has but that first one.... has to be the exact right one at the time. Shits me to tears when I go anywhere with her and we just sit there while she stuffs around.

Was at a 21st last year and a bunch of the kids thought I was so cool ( Terrible how drunk these kids get) because I knew the words to " Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond they were all singing. None of them seemed to have the first clue it came out when I was much younger than them and were stunned when I told them. They also all Knew " Eagle Rock" and Khe san amongst others.

There is a series on YT where they get a bunch of teenagers/ early '20's and Play them Music and ask them to identify the song and artist. Very interesting to see what they do and don't know and what I do and don't know as well. Clearly the Americans had quite different music to what we heard here in the same time frame.

I like the " Name the song/ artist" games for Oz Music.
    I can beat the Brother in law with the Photographic memory and the High IQ every single time and even impress him.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Only us oldies still hoard our junk.
    First i must say my junk box could be regarded as extensive by some.

Sorry I did not pick up on this before Fester, yes the junk is gold. There is always one day and if you wait long enough it comes. But junk is special, if I don't have it earmarked for some thing and I have no immediate plan use it, you just take it. Maybe later some thing from your junk will come my way but if not it does not mater.

We would never dump it but its got no accounting, bit like those 2 guys offers to help in Ma bakers thread. (respect and full cred BTW) Its just what we do and fortunately of us many still do it.
    Last edited by hca; 29-06-20 at 01:49 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to hca For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (29-06-20)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    You have no idea how good that is to read. I do have a junk problem although getting better, but there are just some things that would feel like ripping my arms off If I didn't have them even though I rarely or ever use them. I just have to know they are there and that gives me a lot of contentment.

I have trouble explaining this to my father. He has NO attachment to ANYTHING. He's always at me and says when will I get rid of this or that and why keep it and my house must be like a junk yard. Got a bit old now. I tell him I'll never get rid of some things and I don't need a fking excuse to hang onto it, I'm old enough, big enough and way too much to handle for anyone to take it off me. I say things can sit in the cupboard where I know they are are and safe when I want to look at them or can sit in the shed if it has to and and it's no ones business but mine. I think he's got the message to shut the heck up about it now.

A Phsyc suggested to me some years ago that I could take photos of stuff before "passing it on". That does work for some things. I know I am far too sentimental which is why I want to hang onto things and when I have thrown stuff out, I usually fk up and throw out stuff I regret later and then look at stuff I kept and think I got it arse backwards.

I'm pretty clear on the meaningful things now so probably won't have to deal with that too much again.

I would have loved to be able to sing. Unfortunately I couldn't hit a note with a tennis racquet. I haven't felt the motivation or happiness to sing as badly as I do for 5 years now. Even if I had a skerick of talent , the inspiration has long gone. Taken me years to be able to listen to music again.

The other great dream / regret is being able to play keyboards proficiently. Not an ounce of talent there either and I don't have the learning capacity to gfigure out all the sampling and effects now that would allow me to play what I would want to. Seems like beyond playing, one "Constructs" music now.
    I still can't get simple repetitions right even though I still try now and then.
    I'm a pathetic singer and have none of the skill required for playing an instrument beyond that of a 10 Yo child.
    If that.

So, so many regrets I have. :0(

I can't sing either but I did a few tracks using a more spoken voice and some effects to spice it up.
    I played for 9 years in a hard rock band in the 80's and can't read a single note of music.
    I just played by ear and what I could remember(I composed all my shit) and because my memory failed at the worst moments I always managed to improvise something, which was critical as many titles started off with one of my guitar riffs. So many embarrassing moments, the audience never seemed to notice but the other band members sure did.
    My dad was a pro musician/arranger/conductor. When I was 8 y/o he forced me to play clarinet which I disliked after a few weeks and with 12 I finally stood up to him and denied any more lessons. I consequently hated music until I was 17 and got a cheap electric guitar and jammed around on my own, more interested in building my amps, effects and speaker cabinets until through the school other kids wanted me in their band more because of my tech talents and that grew bigger and at some stage ended up in a pretty famous recording studio but I couldn't handle the stress. I regret giving that up too.
    But a lot of stuff I collected have very strong memories attached.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

bob_m_54 (29-06-20),gulliver (29-06-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

Still faggots on Spotify....

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

I am stroppy that I could never play by ear I ALWAYS needed a chart. A few years back now, we were in a music shop looking for a Benny Goodman CD, the young girl asked if it was for my father, I responded, "no it's for my son!". She was amazed and commented to the shop owner who knew us, his response was "that'd be right". At that time son was about 15 and just starting out playing clarinette. He's now 40 and plays several reeded instruments in the Aust'n Army Band.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

Ha ha, Benny Goodman and his licorice stick but he always made it sound like it was child's play.

While I hated the stick when I was a child, I found out decades later that my dad was very correct when he told me that once you master the clarinet you can play any woodwind instrument. It is the most difficult of all them.
    So when a member of my rock band suddenly showed up with a saxophone and nobody had a clue what to do with it, I gave it a try(first time in my life I held one) and I was more surprised than any of them that it took me 10 seconds to get a proper clean tone out of it and after another 30 seconds I was playing a blues rock sounding riff on it.
    Today if I try to play the clarinet it feels to me like it is broken but I am sure it is not, it is me, all hiss and no clean tone.
    Flute and sax not a problem after a bit of warm up, within margins.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 29-06-20 at 10:12 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (30-06-20)

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12