Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Money for Nothing - Without Faggots!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

Default Money for Nothing - Without Faggots!

I was listening to the old Dire Strait's classic via Apple Music (on an Amazon Echo) this morning. At the end of the song I realised something was missing. So I listened again. Sure enough, one immortal verse is in fact missing.

The little faggot with the earring and the makeup
    Yeah buddy, that's his own hair
    That little faggot got his own jet airplane
    That little faggot he's a millionaire
    I'm not going to go into the inspiration for this song and the meaning of the verse, with which many of you would be familiar. As used in this song it is commentary rather than abuse. Even if it was derogatory of homosexuals, so what. If you're offended, get over it. In any case, just about any rap song has far more offensive use of language. I'm now surprised that they kept the line about the drummer "banging on the bongo's like a chimpanzee".

I wonder just how far this has gone. I initially had no idea that I was not listening to the original song but some expurgated version. Who knows what other songs have been tarnished in this way.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Al Bundy (28-06-20),alpha0ne (27-06-20),eaglem (29-06-20),enf (27-06-20),gordonwh40 (27-06-20),LeroyPatrol (28-06-20),lsemmens (28-06-20),madtech (27-06-20),porkop (28-06-20),SS Dave (27-06-20),VroomVroom (29-06-20)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,935 Times in 1,510 Posts

This could've been fodder for the Political Correctness thread, or an examination of Apple's implementation of such... or else that ecosystem is prone to the influences of the so called 'Mandela Effect' =)

Fortunately, google/youtube are far more open minded, and respectful of original material....as you can hear & see here;

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

dashinson (27-06-20),DB44 (27-06-20),eaglem (29-06-20),lsemmens (28-06-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

So is 'chics for free' still there ??................I can just imagine the feminazi's going batshit over that one

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alpha0ne For This Useful Post:

DB44 (28-06-20),lsemmens (28-06-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alpha0ne View Post
    So is 'chics for free' still there ??................I can just imagine the feminazi's going batshit over that one
    Going on the fact I haven't seen one Feminazi i'd touch for less than one Million bucks, +gst, I would have thought they would have been more than happy with that offer and them not have to shell out a fortune every time they wanted a bit of " Male Company".

Saw a piece on one perpetual screamer a while back and to my astonishment, she was with a very normal looking guy and they had been together for some time. I guess sometimes, " Mothers little helper" kept in the bedside drawer, just don't tame the beasts.

Thanks

I'm sure I remember reading that Mark Knopfler himself decided that the lyrics weren't really suitable, and changed to the different type, a long time ago.
    From as far back as 1986, so it's not a new thing.

"For the band's 10 July 1985 concert (televised in the United Kingdom on The Tube on Channel 4 in January 1986[13]), Knopfler replaced the word faggot with Queenie (in this context also a term that implies homosexuality)"
    Last edited by aa23; 27-06-20 at 09:54 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aa23 For This Useful Post:

Johnno (28-06-20),Uncle Fester (28-06-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 580 Posts

Was my first Cd that i owned.. Dire Straits..
    All i had was vinyl records till i heard how good he played that guitar and how clear it sounded on cd... Awesome guitarist.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnno For This Useful Post:

eaglem (29-06-20),enf (28-06-20)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Johnno View Post
    Was my first Cd that i owned.. Dire Straits..
    All i had was vinyl records till i heard how good he played that guitar and how clear it sounded on cd... Awesome guitarist.
    Dire Straights first album was released roughly a decade before Audio CDs became popular.
    It sounded awesome on vinyl and still does today.

I don't remember on what album the song from the OP was released but to me it was a serious downgrade compared with Mark Knopfler's earlier work.
    I guess he wanted to make a pop song for a few bucks and he succeeded.

My first purchased CD was "It's a Kind of Magic" from Queen which I bought on the day the album was released and at the same time I bought my first CD player.
    I had a self built folded horn enclosure with a 15" speaker that already had a huge efficiency but this was the first time that the old paint crumbled down from the ceiling, which was 4m high and looked like it was snowing inside, so the whole experience literally WAS a kind of magic.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

Johnno (28-06-20),lsemmens (28-06-20)

Thanks

Strangely enough, “It’s a Kind of Magic” was one of the first I purchased too.

It stood out at the time, as did Midnight Oil’s “Red Sails in the Sunset” and Dire Straits “Money For Nothing” as one of the few digitally mastered CDs available at the time.

The “DDD”, indicating digital mastering, Most were “AAD” - analogue tape used for the initial recording and analogue mastering.

Interesting that according to the above article, Brothers in Arms technically was not an all digital production, despite being labelled as such.

• The Following User Says Thank You to shred For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (28-06-20)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,964 Times in 9,060 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post

I guess he wanted to make a pop song for a few bucks and he succeeded.

Most of them do eventually Fester..........can't blame them, money is money I reckon. You don't have to like the music.

First CD? "Moontan" by Golden Earring. After a lifetime of LPs, I wanted to hear what Radar Love sounded like through a CD player and valve amp.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

DB44 (28-06-20),eaglem (29-06-20),Johnno (29-06-20)

Thanks

No Idea what my first CD was but I certainly remember buying Love over Gold by Dire straights on Vinyl. Still have it.

My Cousin had just given me this old " PYE" record player with a couple of bookshelf speakers. I had never heard anything like the sound that came out of that thing from that Album.
    That old suspect looking turntable had phenomenal sound and plenty of it when cranked. Still got the speakers from that set, must be 50 Yo now and they still sound unreal . Look better than modern speakers with a high quality polished wood Veneer than the modern " any colour you want as long as it's black" plastic finish they all have.

Of course the musical quality of the songs on that album, Telegraph Road being a favourite, is unreal.
    I don't know what they recorded it on at the time but seems it was way ahead of it's time as it's only got to sound better.

• The Following User Says Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (28-06-20)

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Last edited by porkop; 28-06-20 at 10:38 AM.
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

• The Following User Says Thank You to porkop For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (28-06-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aa23 View Post
    I'm sure I remember reading that Mark Knopfler himself decided that the lyrics weren't really suitable, and changed to the different type, a long time ago.
    From as far back as 1986, so it's not a new thing.

"For the band's 10 July 1985 concert (televised in the United Kingdom on The Tube on Channel 4 in January 1986[13]), Knopfler replaced the word faggot with Queenie (in this context also a term that implies homosexuality)"
    Correct on the last but not on the first. Knopfler said in a Rolling Stones Interview in 1985:

I got an objection from the editor of a gay newspaper in London – he actually said it was below the belt. Apart from the fact that there are stupid gay people as well as stupid other people, it suggests that maybe you can't let it have so many meanings – you have to be direct. In fact, I'm still in two minds as to whether it's a good idea to write songs that aren't in the first person, to take on other characters. The singer in "Money for Nothing" is a real ignoramus, hard hat mentality – somebody who sees everything in financial terms. I mean, this guy has a grudging respect for rock stars. He sees it in terms of, well, that's not working and yet the guy's rich: that's a good scam. He isn't sneering.
    It certainly caused Knopfler to think about the issue. But he certainly doesn't seem to decide that the lyric was unsuitable. The use of Queenie seems to be more a reaction to criticism which obviously failed to achieve its purpose. In the above passage he almost seems to be lamenting the stupidity of some of his listeners, pondering the need to be direct and avoid ambiguity. He says he is "in two minds" about singing as a character (with those characters views) rather than himself. Which would be a terrible limitation on song writing and singing generally.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

enf (28-06-20),shred (28-06-20)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Most of them do eventually Fester..........can't blame them, money is money I reckon. You don't have to like the music.

First CD? "Moontan" by Golden Earring. After a lifetime of LPs, I wanted to hear what Radar Love sounded like through a CD player and valve amp.
    Of course they all want to earn money but it is every musicians dream to earn it with REAL music not just POP that is adapted for the conditioned masses.
    Actually the way I see it Knopfler probably wanted to make a parody of himself with 'Money for Nothing' or at least Pop Musicians in general but in reality it is extremely hard to get anywhere near the top so maybe a parody for those who think they could.

But he achieved the musicians dream by making his real music(as in playing instruments and creating outstanding sound) popular.

Telegraph road is a fine example, thanks George for reminding me:

Music where you can close your eyes, lie back and enter an alternate 'reality'. Other people need drugs for that, I only need proper music.
    Yes, Radar Love back then worked well for me too.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 28-06-20 at 11:48 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    Strangely enough, “It’s a Kind of Magic” was one of the first I purchased too.

It stood out at the time, as did Midnight Oil’s “Red Sails in the Sunset” and Dire Straits “Money For Nothing” as one of the few digitally mastered CDs available at the time.

The “DDD”, indicating digital mastering, Most were “AAD” - analogue tape used for the initial recording and analogue mastering.

Interesting that according to the above article, Brothers in Arms technically was not an all digital production, despite being labelled as such.
    LOL at Wendy Carlos' "DDDD"
    Technically all popular music today is "DDDD" due to the lack of analogue instruments or actual instruments at all.

...but technically back in 1992 making fully digital productions would have been the right challenge for Wendy as Steinberg developed Virtual Studio Instruments 4 years later.
    Today anybody can make very realistic orchestral productions with VSTs down to the finest details, dynamic attacks and nuances at home with a PC and nothing else although programming can become very complex these days if you want to leave out a certain degree of randomness and get it exactly right the way you want it.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 28-06-20 at 12:12 PM.

Thanks

First and one of the few purchases was Abbey Road on vinyl, cost a few weeks of pocket money so bit of a lesson at the time.

But when in grade 6 my sister brought me back a cassette recorder and some music copied on to tapes from Japan. The beginnings of music piracy. I would record it off the radio, but it saved me a lot of money. So a cd player only came in the house when cheap mixed CDS arrived on the supermarket shelves. Cant say I have ever brought an "artists" cd.

I never had much money and figured the artists had more their fair share already.

It set me up for computers, and certainly brought me into linux when it arrived in the second half of the 90s, but I had unix experience at work by then. Its physical worth the cost of the media its on. So open source any day for me, never contributed to Mr Gates fortune. And that is all due to the cost of genuine music when I was a kid.

• The Following User Says Thank You to hca For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (28-06-20)

Thanks

As a teen I used to record off the radio is well. I remember how it pissed me off when the DJ would talk over the top of the song at the end.

• The Following User Says Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (28-06-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DB44 View Post
    As a teen I used to record off the radio is well. I remember how it pissed me off when the DJ would talk over the top of the song at the end.
    Used to do the same. All the kids did back then. I think they did the announcing over the top for that reason, to make it known the song was illegally recorded. sure sounded shit when you played it back on the tape. Years later they came out with the " 3 in a row" idea or 30 min of uninterrupted music. Probably when no one bothered recording off the radio any more.

I remember buying a stack of different blank tapes to try and find the one that recorded the best. Some of them, and not the cheapest, were absolute crap. The cheap ones were abominable. The 2 I settled on were BASF and Opus. I think the latter was an Australian made type. I had a very good double deck recorder that would record one tape from another and also did Metal tapes but I didn't find them worth the significant extra cost.

I got this machine I forget the name of now, but was a muso's type editing machine that would lay down multiple tracks, 8 I think, on the same piece of music. Did time coding and all sorts of high end trickery.
    It took Hi8 video tapes to record on and the sound of that I think was as good as CD's. Was quite the bit of gear at the time. Later I could record to and from CD's when blank ones became affordable and reliable enough and I could never tell the difference between the 2. I think the system was called DAT, Digital Audio Tape. Bought it from a Pawn brokers that either mis priced it or didn't know what they had because it was stupid cheap for what it was so I grabbed it. I remember thinking it must be broken for that price and asked the guy as I bought it who assured me it did work and it was perfect.
    Muso mate had an earlier model and had shown me what it did which was how I knew what the thing was. He nearly wet himself when I showed it to him. It was worth thousands and I paid $53 as that was all I had on me from the $59 the shop wanted. I had the thing a few years then swapped mate for a good 3 Chip Video camera.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hca View Post

I never had much money and figured the artists had more their fair share already.
    I have always had that position myself. Never really had much sympathy for it either. The artists only get a fraction of the money, it's the record co's, producers and everyone else making the big bucks. Being in an " Artistic" field myself, people in my industry have always been robbed blind by other big business rather than individuals and none of us have promoters or big companies backing us. It's more like a record co and the likes of face waste, google etc that will rip us off knowing theyhave the money to tie up legal claims and get away with it.

Morally wrong to download music I spose but it's hard to feel sorry for a bunch of people that have more money than they know what to do with and the amount you are taking from them is probably cents if that. Not real sympathetic to Record company execs making fortunes a year ain bonuses alone either. If the boot was on the other foot, Can't see myself being too worried if I was making the money a lot of them are.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I used to use a reel to reel recorder to tape my music. Cassettes were "inferior" audio quality as they only recorded at 1 7/8 inches per second. I always recorded at 3 3/4ips though I did have the ability to go to 7 1/2". I've still got the tapes, the tape deck died years ago though I did pick up another "cheap and nasty" R-R that has never been used. FWIW I did go to cassette when I got my first car. (back in the 70s). Now, I only have CD's for the car, otherwise it's all stored on my file server. My hearing's shot, so MP3s are perfectly adequate for me now, more's the pity!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

DB44 (28-06-20)

Thanks

If I were a muso I would be happy if people would download my music. Then they might come one day to my concert and I might be able to sell a CD as a souvenir.

I can't see how downloading hurts anybody these days. Even iTunes has shut down. Who buys CDs these days? Vinyl is a current fad but still a small minority, nobody can live from that.
    The companies earn from the ads while they have arrangements with the very popular who are already rich and still get royalties, the others get pennies.

Almost everybody legally listens for free (or almost free) on the net and never have to purchase an mp3/CD/Vinyl.
    Today's mentality is own as little as possible as that is considered ''freedom", rent for ever and die with nothing.
    Only us oldies still hoard our junk and honesty I would rather be dead than be without it.
    Amongst my junk are probably 2000 albums, 3 DAT recorders, 4 multitrackers, about 15 guitars, 4 music keyboards, drum kit, tenor and alt saxophones, 2 silver flutes, a clarinet, a cello and endless other blah blah and I am not trying to show off, I have to feel ashamed these days that I hold onto this stuff that I am not using or rarely use and SWMBO never stops nagging about it.

I never want to be in a band again, that era finished 1989.
    Sometimes when I am a bit drunk I shred a bit(very poorly) and dream of producing film sound tracks.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 28-06-20 at 09:09 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

ammlione (29-06-20),bob_m_54 (29-06-20)

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast