Thread: I had to go to the dark side

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Default I had to go to the dark side

I purchased a Scala G9x powerset intercom for my motorbike helmets from a friend on another forum. To configure the things I had to install a program to synch with them. Cardo systems only provide the sync tool for bits of fruit and Wingewoes. I could not convince it to work in Linux, so I had to install Windows on one of my computers just to set them up. Fortunately, I do have a spare machine that will work.

signed: the Linux Loonie thanks Al.

Now all I've got to do is learn how to use the bloody things!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

wotnot (28-06-20)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,935 Times in 1,510 Posts

I thought there was a mobilephone app for that?

Also...fun story so associated -->

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (28-06-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

I've got a G9 & Pak talk. With well. There is a mobile app.

LSemmens
    Thanks

Yes, there is a mobile app, however, if you need to reset them to factory defaults or program the name of each unit, you must use the computer based app. There are some functions not covered on the mobile app.

After reading that link, you wonder why I run Linux. Fortunately the computer I used is a spare that rarely gets turned on, so I'll probably leave it as is for now.

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

wotnot (29-06-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    I purchased a Scala G9x powerset intercom for my motorbike helmets from a friend on another forum. To configure the things I had to install a program to synch with them. Cardo systems only provide the sync tool for bits of fruit and Wingewoes. I could not convince it to work in Linux, so I had to install Windows on one of my computers just to set them up. Fortunately, I do have a spare machine that will work.

signed: the Linux Loonie thanks Al.

Now all I've got to do is learn how to use the bloody things!
    Just as well its a spare machine cause it will go up it self in due course.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,935 Times in 1,510 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Yes, there is a mobile app, however, if you need to reset them to factory defaults or program the name of each unit, you must use the computer based app. There are some functions not covered on the mobile app.

After reading that link, you wonder why I run Linux. Fortunately the computer I used is a spare that rarely gets turned on, so I'll probably leave it as is for now.

Actually, I avoid Windows as much as I can, but do keep the nastiest of cheap laptops installed with win10, just so I can tweek the car's auto TCU if need be (or check EPC/pump health). I could do it in linux, I've managed to get debian running on those clayton lappys. but just sometimes... like you've hit here... there's hardware out there that needs to see a software that only works on proprietary OS', before you can get anywhere with the hardware (even if that involves using win10 to configure the device is such a way it'll work with linux, and/or obtain data to make that possible...whatever).

In this case, I would've just used a VM (which is what I normally do anyhow)...I keep a set of vdk file for XP and win7/10 if ever I need do this local.

Reading that link, reminded me of -why- I use linux =) In fact, it reminds me off a lot of stuff that's still missing (and might always be that) in the WINE implementation, where some process like DRM etc spawns a webservice that relies on the internal windows kernel trust layers, which aren't (and cannot be) present in WINE. I learned more about the workings of Windows in my time on that project, than I probably wish to think about...haha.

LSemmens
    Thanks

WINE is fairly hit and more miss with some apps. I usually use virtualbox to work with Sketchup, but could not convince it to talk to my headsets with the program, though I did not try too hard. I will give CARDO Systems full marks for their customer relations. I sent them an email in regards to their documentation complaining that there was no indication that the windows/mac program was needed to perform a factory reset and re-name the units. I had a telephone call from them today hoping to help me out. I explained that I have sorted it by loading the windows app. The gentleman did comment that the units I am using have been well and truly superseded, that said, I have no complaints with the devices at all, I'm still learning how to drive them, but they worked well on my trip across town yesterday.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

I can never leave the Dark side due to my external hardware interfacing requirements.
    Win10 the never ending nightmare that comes with all kinds of annoying clutter that if you try to remove, causes massive issues if you need to update so you can get the bloody Dot Net version or something important that is never installed by default. Offline update with the official M$ iso simply fails and wrecks havoc.

Thanks to a pointer on this forum from Philquad to a 'pirated' W10 black edition that comes with all the junk removed and all the important drivers and framework included I could get my interfacing to work out of the box.
    I do not consider this pirated but Windows as it should have been designed.
    I never go online with it of course as I never do with any Windows version but now Win10 is finally usable for me.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...