Thread: How do I scam a scammer?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Default How do I scam a scammer?

Some of you here are as devious as I am and a lot smarter so I thought I'd ask for ideas how to get back at one of these low life scamming pieces of shit that just messaged me.

It has responded to an ad I put on dumbtree for some solar panels I want to sell In a country town. I already got part suckered, he asked for an email addy which I fortunately only gave him one I use for " secondary" things but I see now that was probably to get round scam filtering or not get kicked off gumtree... not that getting a new account takes much.

Here is the email:

Thanks for your response. I hope it is in good condition? and there wont be any cause of disappointment if i buy it from you? I want to buy it for someone important to me as a gift and I am ready to pay the asking price.I will be giving you an additional $50 for keeping the item for me two days after buying it. My Mode of payment is PayPal due to the Virus shorting down everywhere but i have it attached to my PayPal account. Since I'm requesting this transaction to be done via PayPal, I will be responsible for all the Paypal fees/charges on this transaction, if you don't have an account with paypal, it's pretty easy, safe and secure to open one. Just log on to . I hope we can make this transaction as fast as possible. Less I forgot, I want it delivered before my arrival as i am not in town because of the covid-19 pandemic.but i will have a Mover who will come for it once payment is cleared in your paypal account and they will be handling it for me, as I look forward to hearing from you with your paypal information as requested below.

Your PayPal e-Mail Address :

Full Name

Firm Price

Phone Number:

Many Thanks.

Just sounds so legit!
    Speaks in the singular when he would be buying 20 panels.
    Firm price when he's said he'll pay the full amount + $50 which he would know.
    I note the pay pal link in my email comes up as being from Singapore.
    And of course the dumb crunt can't write basic English.

I'm not really sure how this works but I was thinking to give a Fake Pay pal account and he can send me the fake Recipt and I'll give him a fake address to pick the goods up from..... Like maybe the local police station.
    If that's what they try to do? Other thing I'm thinking is I will get $10K put in my account " By mistake" and they will want me to refund to another account.

I saw one online once where the guy got talking and said he had a very successful business but had so much work and couln't find staff even though he was able to sponsor them and get them residency and working Visas into the US ( where he was) . The bastard scammer was tripping over himself to get the guy to bring him over and the guy played him for weeks and then crushed the little prick like a Bug.

That Would be satisfying or just to put him to some expense and play him for the sucker they usually are when the tables are turned.

Not exactly sure how this sort of scam works and which way they will ultimately go with it but any suggestions how to play this Piece of shit and put them to some trouble and hopefully Expense?

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

There is an email delete button - use it.

Thanks

sorry i do not have a bank account to open paypal
    please just give payment to movers who can then hand me CASH

Premium Member
    Thanks

please just give payment to movers who can then hand me CASH
    ...and the 'movers' gain another physical target =)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    There is an email delete button - use it.
    I thought you might have something more creative and devious in mind. :0)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

does sound like he wants to deposit some money , then ask for a refund. If this is the case then wait the money arrives , then remove the money and close the account

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (03-07-20),RFI-EMI-GUY (02-07-20)

Thanks

My guess is they will send a fake deposit receipt for too much money then ask for the over payment to be sent back to another account. I doubt they would ever put in any real money.
    I also doubt they would send anyone to pick up the goods in this case. Being panels they would have to be palletised and then they have to try and off load used solar panels. Nup, too hard. This will be a send the money back that was never deposited deal I reckon .

Might just send him some fake Details and see if I get the money " deposited" into an account that doesn't exist?

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    I thought you might have something more creative and devious in mind. :0)
    Nah, I read the email a few times and decided it was written by a teenager or something...and they don't have money =) As I can't discern there's any gain, any interaction would cost me time...and I have to get down there in the same gutter they live in (the scammers' hostel =), and that's somewhat below me.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

nah My guess reading allof it is they are trying to case your place to see when you are going to be home the panels are just the diversion

Premium Member
    Thanks

..yeah, something like that... I gave it a bit more thought as to redress george65's observation that my response was a tad 'out of character' for me ; he's right =)

I'm probably too evil & lazy at that same time, to deal with scammers like this...but okay, Mr Evil Bastard mode on says, that the centering of the email content regarding PayPal's involvement in the purchasing process, is suspicious enough to warrant reporting the email to phishing@paypal.com.au ...and move on with life =) That way, you just let the paypal gestapo loose on them, and they do all the work for you...like that website I got OFT to do enough to have it disappear - you have to delegate

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (03-07-20)

• 02-07-20, 05:52 PM

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Post me the cash, When I have it, I'll post you the goods............
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks

A scammer with cash - an interesting notion, or a tacit oxymoron =)

What actually 'concerns' me about this sort of thing, is the distinct possibility the scammers have boots on the ground here.

If one was exceptionally bored, you could use them as a plaything....ie; I still have 'sources' out there who would relish a scammer's email address to throw in a spamming bot hit list.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hinekadon View Post
    nah My guess reading allof it is they are trying to case your place to see when you are going to be home the panels are just the diversion

That's a different outlook and a feasible one.
    I could really have some fun with that if I could rely on it.

"Well you see orificer, I was having a sleep and woke up and there were these two blokes in the house and when I told them to get out they attacked me and I was just able to get my big hunting knife the mrs gave me for Christmas out the draw where I keep it and somehow in the ensuing struggle, it ended up in both their Chests. As my doctor will tell you, I suffer from anxiety and depression and I have panic attacks as well where I can loose control under extreme duress. "

There are advantages to being a certified Nut case! :0)

Of course back in the day, I would have just waited for them with a .357 and my beloved Luigi Franchi SPAS 12.
    No need to load them, The look alone would have them wetting their pants and nightmares for the rest of their born days.

Alas, in this candy arsed day and age of PC correctness and Fairy Floss attitudes towards low life POS, they take a dim view of having a bit of fun like that.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Start with disappointment. Oh sorry, one of my employees bought them. He offer me $200 less than your offer but I needed to see it fast.
    (disappoint and then bait)
    Sorry, I had to go to Sydney for an urgent meeting to meet with some international students I'm sponsoring so they could get a work visa to work on my farm.
    My other office will be getting upgrade next month when the international students arrive, if you're still interested.

Being vague and indiscriminate. If they're doing bulk email scams, they won't have a clue where the storyline is at.
    You providing them with a new narrative that looks like unrelated opportunity.... yeah that sweet shiny lure couldn't possibly have a hook in it.

If you don't get a bite... but they follow on the sale, then keep baiting them. Sorry I've been so busy and we're so short staffed.

If you do get a bit then make it sound hard. Oh it's really hard to get a working visa. They are so strict but I have a friend in the government who helps.
    I give them sponsorship and they come as a student, then we get a working visa upgrade and then they can get permanent residency. But usually they leave and get a better job so I am short staffed. Oh woo is me, it's so hard to find people. Everybody is working in offices and nobody wants to work on a farm. blah blah blah

Play it cool. milk them for information about their location. Little bits of information. Give them some disappointment and then some hope.
    If they say they are from Sri Lanka, you can say something like, it's hard to gt a visa from Sri Lanka. The government is giving special visa's to Bangladesh refugees.
    Somewhere close. My office has an agent in Bangladesh if you can get there. We export rice there. blah blah blah.
    You've given them hope, put it within reach. If they are in Africa, then make it somewhere like Egypt. Middle East, make it Greece etc.

Go get a copy of a 457 visa or some other official form and send it to them, ask them to fill it in. Even fill in some of the details with a faux company etc but on that is real so if they check up on google, they get some kind of hit. Any questions like why your name doesn't appear. "I'm doing something that is not quite legal so my name doesn't appear, the front company belongs to my cousin.
    No lie is too ridiculous as long as it is not too big a lie.

This is why we use international students and refugees. They are already here, no problems with border. The hard part is finding people to come. refugees don't want to work, they get an allowance from the government. It's a shit amount but they don't have to work for it.

Look, can you see the light at the end of the tunnel? That's paradise.... not an approaching train wreck.

If you sound a bit disorganized, rich and corrupt. You'll be everything they every dreamed of.
    Like a bug zapper for scammers.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (05-07-20),george65 (05-07-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,193 Times in 1,905 Posts

Hmmmmmm;
    Last edited by Al Bundy; 05-07-20 at 04:07 AM.
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Al Bundy For This Useful Post:

enf (05-07-20),gulliver (11-07-20),lsemmens (05-07-20)