Thread: Low Signal on Some Channels

Thanks

Default Low Signal on Some Channels

G'day all after some time away.
    I have a portable satellite TV system in my motorhome. This consists of an 80cm dish with twin LNB connected to a twin through the wall fitting, a Satking 2 to 4 multi switch, a Foxtel IQ4 and a Satking DVBS2-980CA. This system has worked well for a number of months until I set it up after traveling north to Cairns, where I found that Imparja/9 was unwatchable. All other channels were OK as was Foxtel.

Trouble shooting revealed the signal quality from the dish to be 85% all the way to the decoders. When operating the Satking it indicated 73% for all channels except 9, which was 20% or lower. SBS (30s) were also lower, 57-67%. 800 was 73% and 801 57%. Connecting the dish direct to the Satking resulted in all channels displaying 73% and watchable. A Satking FAQ page indicates that this in not unknown.

"Not all the channels on VAST Satellite TV have the same signal level in different parts of Australia. Most likely if the channel you are trying to watch is on the channel list and the error message is no signal, you may need to fine tune your dish. If you have just set up your mobile dish it is most likely that you have not positioned it well enough. Increase your quality by 10% and try to watch the channel again."
    Because my signal is maxed out at 85% increasing the quality is not possible. If I want to watch cannel 9 I have disconnect one input coax from the multi switch and connect it direct to the Satking.

I will be moving from Cairns south to Innisfail in the next few days so will see what happens. I would like to resolve this as we will be travelling around and don't want to come across this somewhere else on the road. Other than doing away with the multiswich and using a quad LNB and running another coax, are there any other suggestions?

Sorry for the long missive and apologies if this has been covered previously .
    Regards
    Rod

Look Here ->
    Thanks

My supplier here in Qld recommends I fit a SignalMax amplified multiswitch, so I will see how that goes.
    Rod

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

An 80cm dish is a bit small for Cairns, but fine for further south.

All multiswitches amplify to compensate for insertion/distribution losses.

Also, check all your connectors and LNB for any moisture/corrosion, especially if you have any F type barrel joiners as I've seen lots of those developing issues.

LNB skew is critical for signal quality and VAST is very touchy. Foxtel signals are far stronger compared to VAST signals.

What method and equipment are you using to align your dish and LNB skew?

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (09-07-20)

Thanks

I use the sat finder in Wikicamps to get the angles and then a Satking SK-3200 to fine tune. This has worked well up until Cairns. As I said I will see what happens when I travel south and then west to the NT to Katherine. This is the first trip with both the VAST Satking and the Foxtel IQ4, hence the use of the multi switch, which was recommended instead of a quad LNB and 3 coax leads.