Thread: Looking for a copy of Micrografx Graphics suite

Thanks

Post Looking for a copy of Micrografx Graphics suite

Hi guys.
    Im trying to find Micrografx Graphics suite 2 on the web but not latest version if possible. Ebay has advertised it for a rediculous price.

So Im just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction to a version that will work with windows 10?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    forbirun

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

So Im just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction to a version that will work with windows 10?
    You might be after the improbable there, because a quick search of the tomes yielded;

I don't use win10, and have no idea how far back it's API compatibility really goes, but 'not latest version' is possible for free it seems, but then you're limited to the above hardware/OS constraints, which means not 64bit OS and not winXP or better.

Depending on what hardware you'd plan to run the program on, I'm thinking win10 + VM (virtual machine) with a win95 image/install would be the quick way out ~ someone with win10 nouce on getting win10 to play with olde win32 stuffs might have a better clue.

Seems to run fine on linux using using WINE/PoL ...

Not hard at all..might actually be easier/quicker in WINE versus alternatives =) ...I've been saying there's an argument for 'WINE for Windows' for quite some time now, but everyone thinks I'm nuts ... I just download the program install iso archive from the page below, u7z -> iso image, sudo mount -o loop iso image somewhere in my $HOME, pop wineconfig and set winver to win95, point D: to mount dir of iso image, apply ->save (pet hate, lets start a war =), launch autoplay.exe in the autorun folder of the iso image mount dir, and this will run the installer.

Which will fall over when selecting $installdir 'coz of in-deference betweenst C:\Program Files as opposed to C:\Windows|Program files which comes out as a doubled string because...err...so you have to point it back to C:\Program Files again...but then it all installs fine. I see redists of VB3-to-4 and dxsetup (which I'll suspect is really old directx6 going by filesize), but I *think* winecore has had these 2 targets covered for some time now...I wouldn't install the redists, they're ancient. After install completes, you can use the play-on-linux create launcher/link thingy to find the exe's and icon for the various programs in the suite. All seem to work fine, on an up to date deb10 & system wine-4.0 ... nice little retro blast from the past.

Thanks

Hey austechians and co.
    Im sorry for this late post, Im posting here out of respect for wotnot and you all on this site. I have always enjoyed doing "research" picking brains and enjoyed the endless jokes here for many of years.
    I know a lot of you guys put in a lot of invaluable time posting useful information helping one and other and the public when ever you make time and its always there to help the next person along.
    So I had posted the above question about software and got a respose from wotnot and didnt reply. I am sorry It wasn't a delibrate action and it was out of charactor, I had some personal problems i was dealing with but this won't happen again.
    So I have sent Wotnot a pm with an apology and hope to put this behind me and moving forward.
    So feel free to flame me
    Regards
    forbirun

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

No worries mate, it's a bit of a weirdassed reply relative to win10 to be sure, but I must say I'm heartened by your respect to the disciplines of netiquette ; big kudos for that

I did a number of years working on/with WINE, and curiosity did the rest - found the archive linked to (seems to be being treated as 'abandonware'), and one glance at the image contents was enough for me to discern this was 'low hanging fruit' to get running in WINE, which as it turned out was true...although I didn't try very hard...fonts/scaling is a little bit meh, but then I didn't bother installing any in $WINEPREFIX or fuzting with DPI in wineconfig...there'd be gains there to be had....and TBH, I was half expecting gdiplus stuff to fly off the rails, but it seemed to be sane and working ok..at least with winver=win95...that's awesome work by the wiinedevs, gdiplus has been a pita to implement for a long while... but I digress.

If win10 can't be convinced to run it, and you don't want two forms of evil staring back at you...<grin>....what *may* actually work is a ReactOS instance installed into a VM...ReactOS hooks&forks a lot of WINE code, and it wouldn't surprise me if it's up for this task. I don't use win10, however find quick hits when I search for 'reactOS + virtualbox' ...if I used win10, that'd be an avenue I'd pursue..