Thread: Kindling Splitter

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Default Kindling Splitter

For anyone that has wood heaters or stoves, as we do.
    This product designed by a New Zealand school girl for a project & is absolutely brilliant.
    Now being sold world wide.
    Keeps your fingers safe & splits wood exactly where you position it.

I don't usually split kindling, I just use the shards off the ground from splitting larger bits that go in the shed, to light the fire, however my wife does like to split kindling & found this item, so I bought it for her.

This is the original version which I purchased.

This the larger version if you think you need one this big. The king

Last edited by Tiny; 16-07-20 at 06:51 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (17-07-20),mtv (17-07-20)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

amazing how something so simple works perfectly.

hope that kid is getting her cut from the sales

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

There are vids of these things on YT going back many years.
    I believe they are from the nordic countries. Maybe the NZ schoolgirl saw them there.
    They certainly aren't anything new.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

A Hatchet works well for me.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

wotnot (17-07-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    This thing works REAL well for me:

Never come across anything it wouldn't split and as can be seen, I'm not exactly putting it to work on toothpicks. 50 ton rated and I never really take it above a fast Idle. No need. Has the same power just the ram moves a little faster when it's revved up.
    Like Tiny, don't have to do Kindling. The leftovers from what this thing Pulverises along with the bark is plenty for getting the fire going which is usually only lit about once a week where it's let to go out so the heater can be cleaned.

Other thing that has performed above expectation is the Battery chainsaw. Haven't Baby'ed that thing either and it's a lot more useful than just trimming branches around the garden. Haven't found anything yet that will baulk at either. Every bit as quick as a comparable Petrol saw ( have 4 of them) and the battery lasts at least as long as 2 tanks of fuel, I'd say closer to 3. Put the first battery on to charge, use the other one, time that's flat the first one is up to 80% or more but by that time I'm tripping over all the rounds I have cut so fire up the splitter after I have a Cuppa at which time first battery is ready to go again anyway.

Have an 18V version of this saw as well and that thing is no toy either. Plenty for cutting limbs but the 58V is better for initial deforestation.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

moving to coastal QLD works better for me

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

Johnno (17-07-20),wotnot (17-07-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    moving to coastal QLD works better for me
    Last time I was on the Gold Coast was exactly this time of year, Middle of winter.
    Mrs and I are walking round Surfers in Tshirt and shorts sweating. You can pick the locals. 20oC and they are complaining how cold it is and that they are freezing.
    Stayed at a mates place and nearly died with him having the place so hot and still complaining about hating winter.
    Came back home to frosts and Frozen Bird Baths in the morning.

People sure acclimatise Different up there!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

I'm actually fine using an axe myself, but do have a hatchet if I specifically want just tinder....which, around here, is about as complex to get as wandering around for a few minutes picking up twigs (all twigs in NZ are wet?) Actually, a nail rake is pretty handy for this. It'd be a case of 'who needs to cut tinder?' around here, and for sure this house's wood heater only needs starting once, and runs 24/7...and self sustains during the day on an ember idle ; throw a log in at evening and it restarts itself.

One of my niece's reckons this is more politically correct BS, because axes/hatchets present a real danger of severe injury to the operator, and can be used as the proverbial blunt object...ie; homicidal axe wielding murderer.

I can remember as a boy, waiting for the day I was old enough to be shown how to use an axe/hatchet by my father/uncles (and one of these was a saw doctor), and like riding a pushbike, this is a skill learned that one doesn't forget.

I'm not sure how many people in today's society can properly use/maintain an axe anymore (let alone be trusted with one lest they hurt themselves), but for sure 'axe-man' is a PC no-no and 'axe-handler' prolly has to be OH&S approved.

...enter the kindling splitter...
    Last edited by wotnot; 17-07-20 at 12:11 PM.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

We went to Cairns to visit the doctors one dry season. The locals were asking us how we were enjoying the nice warm weather. Our reply, "We're freezing! When are you going to turn on the heat!", They couldn't believe us and asked "Were are you from, then?" Our reply, "Darwin" Generally the response then was a dubious "oh".

Haven't been there in 30 years, so am planning a trip in the not too distant future.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 580 Posts

All great ideas above if you live on acreage. I live in Melbourne Suburbia and the last arsehole that had an open wood fire for home heating in my area was Dealt with from the local council..

The stuff stinks and people can't handle the smoke entering their homes. GAS Heating here FARKIN!!

Thanks

My shit for brains waste of Oxygen step brother who lives next to my father got a wood heater last week.
    Clearly no fking idea how to use one and he was stinking out the acreages with it.
    If you use them properly and know what you are doing there is next to no smoke. My neighbour has one as well and it's rare to see any smoke coming out the thing at all. Same with My fathers. If you burn dry wood properly, they are fine.

Some people load them up with wet wood ( and don't know the difference between wet on the outside and wet on the inside) close the air down and let the things smoulder all day long.

Would be hard to complain about smoke from a heater round here after the weeks of Brown Days we had 6 Months ago from bushfires that there was no getting away from.

No gas here but I read and hear of a lot of conflicting reports of the cost of gas. Some say it's cheap, some say electricity is cheaper.
    Back in the old days in my first home we had it but only for cooking . It was cheap then. Actually bought a gas stove last year when renoing the kitchen and then found to plumb up for LPG was going to cost over $1500 and create more expense replacing walls etc to put it in. Was always a bit Ironic given we have so much solar but that tipped it.
    Went and bought an electric stove which cost $300 for the upgraded wiring. Sold the gas stove for $520 more than we paid for it so that coved some of the electric one.

Wood heaters are the most efficient form of heating there is.
    Last week I was kept warm to the point of sweating profusely Cutting down some dead trees for Firewood. Sweated some more Cutting, splitting and stacking the timber and the Fireplace was 400M away and a couple of days wasn't even Lit!

Of course like everyone I have come across with wood Fires, Dad likes to keep the place a cosy 30o C when the thing is lit so then you sweat some more.
    Damn efficient things at keeping you warm those wood fires!

• The Following User Says Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

Johnno (17-07-20)