Thread: Satellite dish to view US/Canada/UK FTA?

Thanks

Default Satellite dish to view US/Canada/UK FTA?

Hi,

I can see my neighbours have 2 dishes on their rooftop, all point to same direction (North), not sure if one for Foxtel and the other for overseas.
    If I want to watch channels from US/Can/UK or other countries, do I need to install separate dish for each region?

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

You can use separate dishes for different satellites, or install a motorised dish, however, you'd be wasting your time and money doing either as there is very little content available direct to homes via satellite to Australia from the countries you've mentioned.

Programs from those countries is best sourced via streaming services.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (18-07-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 958 Posts

Also you cannot receive signals directly from the satellites that service the US/Can/UK ..... because satellites have footprints that cover different regions of the world .... and because you cannot see the satellites that are on the other side of the world from Australia

so you cannot tune in to Sky Pay TV UK channels on a UK satellite or Commcast PayTV channels on a US Satellite from Australia

You can only tune into the satellites that you can see from Australia .... also depending on where you are in Australia and the size of your satellite dish and the type of LNB you have and what satellite it is tuned in to

However the US and UK etc sometimes "relay" their signal to satellites in the Asia Pacific Region if they want it to be received here e.g Cricket from England etc .... or some channels like CNN & BBC world services

Also a lot of services are encrypted now with only some free to air

check out Lyngsat website

Like mtv said there is not much viewable FTA in Australia anymore and you may be wasting your time and money
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

• The Following User Says Thank You to OSIRUS For This Useful Post:

mtv (19-07-20)