Thread: Click Energy

Thanks

Default Click Energy

Our contract for electricity supply is coming to an end. The current supplier - Origin - has, according to their online information dropped their FIT to 7 or 12 cents depending on the plan.

I have prepared a spreadsheet using last years consumption figures and the online rates for a number of suppliers to get some idea about the overall cost of the plans. (After doing this I am not sure how anyone could make an informed decision based purely on supplier's web sites.)

ATM Click Energy is by far the cheapest, well less costly per annum, than anyone else. Comments/thoughts from anyone using them as an electricity supplier.

What charges will be incurred if we change from Origin to Click?
    Last edited by Guiseppe; 24-07-20 at 06:08 PM.
    If Australia is a democracy why, then, is voting compulsory?

"What has changed between the arrival of the First Fleet and today?"
    "Wearing leg irons is now not required."

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

I am not a customer of click but I do read up on this stuff from time to time.

A few suggestions.....

From what I have seen, it's all swings and roundabouts with with Fit's and charges. More FIT, higher consumption rates. You are better off if you know your generation and usage and can play them off. I don't think there is a lot in it either way. You get more fit, they screw you and make it up on the backend with what they charge you.

These High Fits/ Low charges are renowned to change. By law they have to give you notice but Click for one of many in the past have not done that and upped their costs and lowered their FITS without telling customers. They were Pinged for that by the ACCC in 2018.
    I suggest looking into firstly how long whatever offer you sign up is good for and secondly look closely at the contract. May say they can change their rates without advising you or within a time period. Don't sign your rights away in the fine print. I suggest getting a minimum contract period of 12 Months and make sure you get it in writing.

Check Exit Fees. If they bump their prices and you want to go with a lower priced, Higher FIT provider, how much is it going to cost you to Dump Click? From Memory, their exit fees were pretty high. Bait and switch is pretty rife in the power game and they can make up bucks on the back end when you leave .

You are playing in the cesspit with these electricity co's and the cheapest are inevitably the ones to be most wary of. I would be comparing the MARGIN of Origin and that of click or anyone else and see how it comes out. I think they have all pretty much gone to TOU charging now but with about 1200 " Plans" ( what a bullshit term that is!) around the country, it's hard to know what skulduggery they are up to at any given time.

Also Check if they will use your current meter or have to upgrade you to their meter and what the charges are for that. Also look at Daily connection fees.

I always laugh when I see companies crapping on about " Saving their customers Money". What a load of Bullshit!
    If they are saving their customers money they are costing themselves money. Pure and simple. A Company CEO is obligated by law to make the company the most money he can. To not do so leaves him open to prosecution. They only way they are going to "Save" you money is with a scheme they can get more out of you without you knowing.

I think every player is the industry is just another of the profiteering bastards BUT, I would be more inclined to stick with somone like origin as they are big enough to at least be more up front and have more to risk if they aren't. The other companies may appear Cheaper or Have a Higher Fit ( and they may well Be) BUT, really watch that fine print, verify all fees, charges and setup and exit costs and look at the prices for TOU.
    |
    No use getting 5C Higher FIT if your Charges are 30C per Kwh higher when you buy which wipes the FIT out.... and is EXACTLY what a lot of these companies do!

Good luck with it. Tell us where you are and what you end up finding.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (25-07-20),Softek2 (25-07-20)

Thanks

The current plan doesn't run out until Aug. 18 so I am in no hurry to start a new plan - current 21c FIT is nice. Having said that it is raining cats and dogs ATM.

Thanks

It is well known that talking to your supplier and hard balling them can do wonders.
    Look up what they are offering to new Customers as well as existing ones. If you have a Login with them, You may need to log our and clear your Cookies. If they know you are a customer they may not show you the deals on offer to new customers which can often be better.

Either way I would ring them up and say what can they offer you to keep your Business. Pays to also have done some home work so you can throw a better deal like the click one at them.
    Tell them you'll sign up for 3 years or whatever if they want BUT, make sure the contract says they can't change it on you during that time and if they do you have the right to leave without penality. After all, it would in fact be them breaking the contract but not to stop them putting in you still have to pay anyhow.

They will do a lot to keep a customer so if you are happy with what you have ( how much is your KWH charges BTW?) The first thing I would suggest is RING and talk to them ( or the punjabi you get) and see what they can do to keep you as a customer. Wholesale prices have been going down a lot with the China Flu and the closure of a lot of Businesses and less demand so I Imagine the FIT will be down for everyone and if you get a similar FIT the buying cost will be likely significantly more.

Having said that it is raining cats and dogs ATM.
    That's always the kill joy and why unreliables as a grid base will never work but that's another story.
    I put another 6.2 KW on my roof about a month back bringing the total up to about 25 Kw give or take. This supplys 4 inverters with a capacity of 15 Kw. I back feed my spinny meters on my 3 phase supply. This gives me a 1:1 cost/ return ration although because I am bootlegging I get no Fit which I'm fine with. The thing for me has to meet winter demand which in my all electric home can easily be 70KWh a day using the AC for heating. Get to below zero often here and a week of 40o in summer is nothing unusual either.

Keeping up with winter/ crap weather is the trick. Can never do it with wet weather, the fall off is about 95% of generation. I have good Data for the last sunny week so interesting to see what the fall off is for this completely heavy overcast day. I reckon my inverter that did 30Kwh yesterday will be struggling to do 4, maybe even 3 Kwh today. Just checked my inverters. Not one doing over 100W. This time yesterday I was getting over 7 Kw!

I have been doing some wheeling and dealing in used panels of late and I always get asked about the efficiency. The 6.2 KW I put up were all new panels as against all the other 80 or so being used but even with the perfect winter tilts and north orientation, I'm still lucky at this time to get over 4.5 Kw out of them. The weather, dust and Birdshit etc plays a much bigger role in the power you get than even the age of panels in my book. Besides, if you are buying 250W panels for $50 each, the output can be a bit down and the ROI is still going to be better than with a new panel/ System.

After bagging me somewhat for all my panels, I think the BIL finaly gave into the sister in law whom asked me a lot about how the solar was working for me ( Fantastic!) and convinced tight arse to have it put on. He did the same as me and is running his old spinny meter backwards and hasn't got the meter changed. He's had it coming on 12 months now and the last 3 Bills he has had have all been credits apparently. This surprised me as I though if they saw you go backwards on a spinny meter they would think the thing was out of watch at best or you were trying to steal power and would replace the meter pronto. The fact they got 2 and $300 credits is surprising.

Asking more about it I also found that they have had a number of estimate bills as some imbecile has flagged the place as having a dangerous Dog. I literally have more dangerous cats But, they won't come past the gate to read the meter. I'll wait a couple more reads to see how they go and if they get flagged. They always over estimate in My opinion so these credits could just be corrections. once they get more regular actual readings the penny Might drop. BIL isn't worried about if they do change the meters and it[s good to have him as the guinea pig to see what happens.

I like things the way they are in a fair 1:! system. I don't have to worry about the price of power or FITS, it all balances out in the end and I can make more power than what I use anyway. Which I could find a good use for the excess. I could easily generate $1500 worth of credits in summer with what I have but I don't want to risk a smartarse meter which would spoil my fun significantly. Then again, If I could get approval for 5KW backfeed per phase, I might make enough to offset the night use and charges and get a credit.

That said, I am neither Lucky nor Greedy and don't want one of those meters so I will be content to use the grid as my battery and just pay them the couple of hundred a quarter for connection fees and a little power to keep them happy and be content with that while I can. Will have to upgrade the meter one day as per their agenda but I'll stick with what I have for as long as I can and enjoy the benefits I have.

The neighbour has a small solar system and we are going to double with an install on his shed and back feed it. As he gets a small credit in the summer months, this should give him one all year round. Remains to be seen if they question why the feed in has gone up but we are betting they are too damn lazy to notice or do anything.
    He has 3 phase to the shed so we'll just backfeed that which should also offset his total consumption.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    It is well known that talking to your supplier and hard balling them can do wonders. .
    I intend to do that. That is the reason I have prepared my spreadsheet! I always talk with them and I believe I am on a better plan than was ever offered online ...

Thanks

Yep, that too is the usual story. They will do more talking to you than they ever advertise.
    Smart to prepare yourself as well. Let us know how you get on.