Thread: Diy Chlorine Production.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Default Diy Chlorine Production.

I have loads of excess solar power in Summer I can burn and was wondering about making Chlorine. From what I understand you can make it simply by electrolysing salt water. I saw an article on it some years ago which I can't find now.

I'd like to do this in decent amounts, say 200L at a time rather than tiddly wink table top amounts.
    Anyone know what can be used for electrode plates and what sort of Current/ Volts is required or it basically does not matter, more you put in faster it cooks.

I could throw any amount of current at it pretty much using a MIG welder for a transformer to get the Voltage down and the amps up. I know pool chlorinators use platinum I think it is electrodes but I don't know if that is for efficiency or to keep the solution clean or.....
    Anyone know what the base brine solution should be?

Salt is cheap and Chlorine is not so as well as doing things like Cleaning pools I could use it in my span and give it to friends with pools as well.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,508 Posts

That would produce chlorine gas + sodium hydroxide ; how do you plan to solidify the chlorine gas?

Thanks

I didn't . Wasn't aware of it. I thought the gas was Hydrogen.

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 3,228 Times in 1,451 Posts

Producing chlorine gas. It's not that hard to do. In the case of pool chlorinators, this is a small amount of gas and it is aqueous, dissolved in the water it is produced in.
    OK, so the elephant in the room is the nasty green gas that might make you look like a war criminal. You're going to want to be able to store it correctly and by that time things are going to get complex.
    The production of sodium is the other side of the equation. The industrial production of Sodium produces chlorine gas as a bi-product. Most of which is used to product Hydrochloric acid. The sodium is a lot easier to store and handy and not nearly as hazardous.

The process is also not that complex and it is easy to do as an amateur chemist.
    Starting with salt water, and carbon electrodes which you can recover from ordinary carbon batteries. D cells and lantern batteries are best source.
    There are a couple of ways of setting it up but the best is to use mercury as an alloy and the electrode.

The sodium electrolised from the salt water amalgamates with the mercury and then is removed on the carbon electrode away from the water.
    If the sodium is in contact with the water, then obviously it reacts and forms Sodium Hydroxide.

Really what you're trying to do is store electricity by doing something useful with the waste electricity.
    It's something that a lot of people think about every day.

Making something is kind of pointless if you don't have a down stream use for it.
    One of the more interesting methods is using it for cooling.
    the waste electricity is used to drive a compressor which compresses air and heats water via a heat exchanger (for heating) and the now cool compressed air can be used for cooling the compressor intake. Eventually the compressed air is cooled enough to liquefy and store. When the compressor stops at night, the liquefied air continues to provide cooling.
    The gas can be used to run a compressor or the liquid nitrogen/air used for other purposes.

It's very inefficient but when the source energy is essentially free, it's still a gain.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

gulliver (03-08-20),lsemmens (28-07-20)

Thanks

EDITED.
    Wouldn't want this post to be off topic as well.
    Last edited by george65; 29-07-20 at 12:36 AM.

• 28-07-20, 01:41 PM

Reason
    Off Topic

• 28-07-20, 09:27 PM

Reason
    Off Topic

• 29-07-20, 12:16 AM

Reason
    Off Topic

Thanks
    Thanked 3,228 Times in 1,451 Posts

I'm a bit lost.
    Are we deliberately trying to make Chlorine or just make use of waste power?
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,043 Times in 6,759 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    I'm a bit lost.
    Are we deliberately trying to make Chlorine or just make use of waste power?
    It seems both, but specifically to make Chlorine, as the thread is titled "Diy Chlorine Production" that's the topic.

if members wish to discuss other topics, please start another thread.

Thanks

The idea of making the Chlorine was to use waste solar power as you pointed out but don't worry about it. I'll find answers and start a conversation about it else where.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,412 Times in 2,516 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    It seems both, but specifically to make Chlorine, as the thread is titled "Diy Chlorine Production" that's the topic.

if members wish to discuss other topics, please start another thread.
    IMO a bit rough the deletes here.

I was under the impression it was about the use of waste energy and electrolysis, which is what flow batteries are all about and while Bromine is not Chlorine, they are both rather similar.

I would have expected a bit more creativity would have been permitted.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 29-07-20 at 03:27 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,508 Posts

Oh goodgrief, is forum etiquette dead?

I indicated to mods that my post was OT in the post itself ; that's me painting it with the nuke if necessary target -- I was trying to nudge a subtle hint, that turning brine, into caustic soda & chlorine gas, as a means to utilize excess solar power generation, for production of a chemical storage product for use in pools & spas...is ludicrous. The reason I say that, is because you need to produce calcium/sodium hypochlorite or similar, if you want to transport/use the stuff in the way intended.

My original reply, was too brief it seems -- it was meant to incite the OP into researching for themselves, the actual processes involved with getting from chlorine gas, to a stable compound you can chuck in your pool and give to ppl to use....ie; 'how do you plan to solidify it'?

Somewhere about there, george should've gone "Doh! You're right...this is a stupid idea ; I'll close this thread & start another about 'Any ideas on how to use excess solar generation in a practical, useful fashion?'"

@mtv -- I thought it was all very clear ~ kudos for cleaning up =)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,043 Times in 6,759 Posts

The OP has a tendency to derail topics and this one was heading elsewhere.

I deleted all the off topic posts, just to be fair.

The posts were relevant... but not on the subject of the thread.

It's obviously now run its course... so I'll close it.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (29-07-20),tristen (30-07-20),wotnot (29-07-20)