Thread: Dahua NVR allocating IP's to devices

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Default Dahua NVR allocating IP's to devices

I have a Dahua DHI-NVR4108HS-8P-4KS2 connected via a switch to my router. Currently running version V4.001.0000000.1 (latest version).

My home network uses the 192.168.1.x range. The NVR has a static IP in that range and the router should handle all DHCP allocations.

After upgrading to V4 the NVR has started allocating IP's to some unrelated WiFi items (such as the MiBox, etc) in the 10.1.1.x range, despite the NVR not being WiFi capable. Some of the IP cameras are also now visible on my router device list, also in the 10.1.1.x range.

The NVR should obviously not be allocating IP's to other devices, and likewise the IP cameras should not be visible on the network outside of the NVR.

Any suggestions as to why this could be happening?

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

UPnP/Multicast

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    UPnP/Multicast
    UPnP and Multicast are both switched off on the NVR.

Premium Member
    Thanks

After upgrading to V4 the NVR has started allocating IP's to some unrelated WiFi items
    *It* has started allocating IPs? It has it's own DHCPS?....turn it off. If that's not the case, and the router has the only DHCPS to allocate IPs, then the NVR must be forwarding device(s) MAC address to router... was it doing this before firmware upgrade?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    *It* has started allocating IPs? It has it's own DHCPS?....turn it off. If that's not the case, and the router has the only DHCPS to allocate IPs, then the NVR must be forwarding device(s) MAC address to router... was it doing this before firmware upgrade?
    The NVR has a 'switch' setting, which (from my understanding) allows it to allocate addresses to IP cameras connected directly to the Ethernet ports on the NVR. This is set in the 10.1.1.x range and cannot be deactivated. This setting hasn't changed from prior to the firmware update. There is no other setting the indicates the NVR should be allocating IP's outside of those devices connected directly to the NVR, and all DHCP allocations on all other network devices should be undertaken by the router.

I'm unsure how to test to see if the NVR is forwarding MAC's to the router, so can't say if it was doing this prior to the upgrade. Suffice to say it wasn't previously allocating IP addresses.

I did connect a Netgear Orbi WiFi mesh system around the same time as I did the firmware upgrade on the NVR. Seeing as the NVR appears to be incorrectly allocating some WiFi devices IP's I went though the Orbi settings this afternoon and there is nothing that sticks out. It's set up as an AP only, with no DHCP ability, and all functions allocated by the router.

Thanks

Do you have your home network plugged into one of the PoE ports on the back of the NVR?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madtech View Post
    Do you have your home network plugged into one of the PoE ports on the back of the NVR?
    Nup. Only cameras are plugged into the PoE ports.

Ethernet port of the NVR is connected to the network switch.

Premium Member
    Thanks

I did connect a Netgear Orbi WiFi mesh system around the same time as I did the firmware upgrade on the NVR
    Ok...likely the netgear AP then? Turn it off, reboot devices, see what occurs.

Banned
    Thanks

I would change the NVR’s internal IP to 10.2.2.1 and see what happens...

Thanks

I had previously rebooted and shut down/restarted the router, AP and CCTV and started them up in different combination, however the issue returned.

I didn't try changing the NVR IP's to something different, although that would have been a way to confirm if it was the NVR allocating the IP's

I ended up resetting the NVR to factory setting and setting it up again. So far after 3 days all devices appear to be allocated IP's in the 192.x range and none of the IP cameras are appearing in any router or AP attached devices lists. It appears the firmware upgrade may have incorrectly changed a setting, and resetting the NVR has rectified the issue. Will see how it goes.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Ahh, that's very likely the cause ; firmware updates on certain devices absolutely require a return to known state cycle...they can futz with things so badly, the displayed/reported config does not represent that state of the machine..pita, especially on a webpage interface.

It's also invariably difficult to isolate this stuff when everything's down to lowlevel ARP & multicast broadcasts, with routers/switches with active but stale arp caches...always wholesome fun =)

Hopefully it all goes 'as expected' for you from here.