Thread: Humax IRCI-5400z

Thanks

Default Humax IRCI-5400z

Can someone please tell me if the Humax IRCI-5400z satellite receiver can receive the free to air channels on the KU band, because I cannot tune in to any transponder. If I use a strong SRT-4922b+ receiver it works OK on the same dish and LNB and even if I program the correct info into the Humax it will not work

Look Here ->
    The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FROGGY View Post
    Can someone please tell me if the Humax IRCI-5400z satellite receiver can receive the free to air channels on the KU band, because I cannot tune in to any transponder. If I use a strong SRT-4922b+ receiver it works OK on the same dish and LNB and even if I program the correct info into the Humax it will not work
    In the setting does it have anything that has Ku if so I must work or you have a setting wrong like the Local O should be 11300.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,043 Times in 6,759 Posts

You need to be more specific.

Which FTA channels on which satellite?

I'm tipping you can't decode many channels on the Humax as it's only MPEG2 DBV-S, not MPEG4 DVB=S2 which the majority of signals are now.

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    You need to be more specific.

Which FTA channels on which satellite?

I'm tipping you can't decode many channels on the Humax as it's only MPEG2 DBV-S, not MPEG4 DVB=S2 which the majority of signals are now.
    Good point. Very few are in Mpeg2 today.

Thanks

Thank you all for your help.
    As you have mentioned I was trying to pick up MPEG4 signals on a MPEG2 Satellite Receiver and that's way I could not receive a signal.
    I was hoping that I could update the firmware for this Humax receiver, so it would work on MPEG4 but I don't think this can be done
    Last edited by FROGGY; 05-08-20 at 01:57 AM. Reason: error

Thanks

Default Unarchive Old Tech

Can I unarchive this thread as Im in a similar boat.

Im trying to do the same thing. I have a foxtel dish with a sharp lnb 10.7. Pointed at Optus D3.
    Have also pointed at and tried Intelsat 19, Asiasat4
    Humax IRCI-5400Z <--Is this a boat anchor?

I can get a signal level of around 44 to 55% but no more.
    Zero signal quality, its like it cannot see the transponder.

Someone in the post said well its mpeg 2 to you can watch that as its now 4.
    Shouldn't I be able to at least see the transponders.
    I also have two old foxtel sat recievers, ones dated to 2002, not sure on the other one. They have zero signal too.
    I got another LNB, tried it to no avail

Has something drastically changed that all old tech like this needs to be chucked out?
    I'd post some pictures but im not sure if Im allowed to yet,

I live in Melb btw.

Asiasat4 settings, LNB Freq set to Universal
    Transponder setting 11727, Polar-Auto, Symbol Rate 27500, FEC Auto
    Search Fails to find anything.

Dish settings are by the book to the best I can point, I dont have a sat meter.

Hope someone can help.

Grant..

Administrator
    Thanks

Hi Grant,

It sounds like you don't have the dish/LNB aligned correctly.

You say you have the dish pointed at Optus D3 but have also tried AsiaSat4, but don't have a sat meter.

How then are you aligning the dish and LNB?

You can't use a fixed LO LNB (eg: 10700) as a universal type.

You can't 'search' until you have the dish and LNB aligned correctly.

Thanks

10700 I have tried. Auto also to see if the Asiasat would work.

I have a couple apps that tell me the lnb screw. Dish elevation and compass direction. I also have this near the ground. Not fully installed yet. But straight enough. The mount is fixed to a tree.
    I have direct visual of the Tv in the garage so as I move it a small amount. I can see the signal go up and down a little.

Is an oval dish I picked up for nothing. Not a circular one. I don’t know if that matters.

I also got another lnb to see if it was that.

Our asking me the most obvious this. Is out of alignment a little can make a big difference.

I was hoping that close enough was good enough.

I can buy a sat meter. Are the cheap ones with a simple meter worth it?

Is doing my head in as i setup a diseqc motor years ago and worked fine with a stock standard Foxtel dish.

Thanks

Side note to your reply. You didn’t mention of my receiver or receivers are at fault in being outdated and causing no signal. I hope not.

Administrator
    Thanks

Near enough isn't good enough. Slightly off and you get nothing.

Pointing apps etc are only a guide.

Yes, you can make adjustments while using a screen with a decoder, but you need to make very small movements and wait a few seconds for the display to catch up, as they are not 'real-time'.

You need a meter (or decoder) which displays signal quality (BER) as that is more critical than signal strength.

The shape of the dish doesn't matter... providing it's not deformed of course.

The signal path must be completely clear of any obstructions, fences, buildings, trees... even small branches will kill signals.

If your 10700 LNB has the coax connector at the bottom, for Optus sats (from Melbourne) it should be somewhere between the 6-7 o'clock position when viewed from the front of the dish.

For all other sats, it should be somewhere between the 5-6 o'clock position. Again, that's just a starting guide.

There's very little FTA on Ku band these days and you'll need a decoder/meter that works with MPEG4 DVB-S2 for most of it.

Thanks

No worries. Thank you.

Thanks

Ask yourself how many mobile phones you have gone through in the last 15 years. Nothing wrong with having an attachment to your 2003 vintage Humax IRCI-5400Z, it belongs in your antique glass cabinet.
    Technology has moved on… better invest in a DVB S2x capable receiver and watch ABC, SBS ch9 are FTA on Ku Band.

Thanks

I had a breakthrough yesterday and finally got a transponder to light up with quality.
    I got a few items yesterday, a $10 analogue sat meter, great it tells me there's something there but could also be 5 other sats nearby.
    A diseqc positioner to play with later, a 2nd free foxtel dish and my new fav toy a $10 Digital Sat Receiver.
    Its made in Egypt, an Astra 10000 G HD. there like $22 AUS new.
    Menu is all arabic, I used google translate on my phones camera to find English.

Simple truth is the dish I have setup, the gutter mount is screwed to the base of the tree and where the dish points there's branches from other trees in the way.
    I held the other dish by hand and saw the Astra light up, so now I know Im not nuts and sadly while the humax can work, the new cheaper one does a better job.
    3 Days of madness it took...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by B52 View Post
    Ask yourself how many mobile phones you have gone through in the last 15 years. Nothing wrong with having an attachment to your 2003 vintage Humax IRCI-5400Z, it belongs in your antique glass cabinet.
    Technology has moved on… better invest in a DVB S2x capable receiver and watch ABC, SBS ch9 are FTA on Ku Band.
    Sadly not many, I've resisted updating phones. my current is a Iphone 6 and thats pushing it I know...

I'm wrapped to know a cheap device like the Astra works so well, now I just need not get carried away and buy more receivers.. Yet....