Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Beiruit

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

We have a nice little stockpile of this stuff here in Newcastle.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

tristen (06-08-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

Stories out it was set off by a welder doing maintenance who started the fire by accident.

FFS welding near explosive and flammable stuff you would think someone would take a bit more care......

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

hca (06-08-20),RFI-EMI-GUY (06-08-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    All quite plausible.
    A fire in the warehouse initiated from the nearby fireworks could have 'superheated' the ammonium nitrate that was stored in containers(needs to be airtight stored) and this heat decomposed it rapidly under pressure leading to a violent combustion in the container(s) like grenades.
    It is said that there were 2 explosions.

An attack like Trump and his "experts" want to see it seems not likely as this procedure looks too coincidental and random for a planned attack.
    Planting a bomb right under the ammonium nitrate containers would make more sense than starting a fire nearby.
    I am having second thoughts about the fireworks factory connection. Is there any corroborating evidence that there was actually a fireworks factory on site?

I think this was an accidental fire exacerbated by AN dust and possibly grain dust accumulated in the warehouse.

The flashes seen prior to the main detonation could be localised detonations of AN dust under conditions where the air / fuel mixture, air pressure and temperature were conducive to small detonations leading up to a sufficient shockwave to detonate the entire AN stockpile.

Think of this as octane knocking in an internal combustion engine.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
    "Have Spectrum Analyzer, - Will travel".

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RFI-EMI-GUY For This Useful Post:

enf (07-08-20),tristen (06-08-20),Uncle Fester (06-08-20),VroomVroom (06-08-20)

Thanks

Funny place to have a fireworks "factory", in the middle of a port complex. I call bullshit on that story.

I heard interviewed blokes on TV say

A- the stuff was confiscated from a ship. Pobably targeted for illegal hesbo munitions?

B- the hesbos are the power faction controlling the port and airport. And we know what their objective in life is.

C- the places is corrupt as hell.

D- the stockpile is subject of an on going court case since it was confiscated.

Now the only peaceful uses I know off are cropping, mining, and small scale uses like blowing stumps and a bit of fishing. The joints a desert, the only trees they have is their precious cypress trees. Being invaded and over run buy the PLO etal starting the the sectarian civil war in 1975, and becoming a shithole not so much chance of any peaceful commercial uses.

Last edited by hca; 06-08-20 at 03:46 PM.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hca For This Useful Post:

enf (07-08-20),lsemmens (07-08-20),Mr 672A (07-08-20),wotnot (06-08-20)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

The article reproduced below is from the Daily Star English language newspaper, Beirut and was written by an Agence France Presse journalist, based in Beirut, Lebanon.

Agence France Presse.

BEIRUT: In Beirut's beloved bar districts, hundreds of young Lebanese ditched beers for brooms on Wednesday to sweep debris in the absence of a state-sponsored cleanup operation following a deadly blast.

"What state?" scoffed 42-year-old Melissa Fadlallah, a volunteer cleaning up the hard-hit Mar Mikhail district of the Lebanese capital.

The explosion, which hit just a few hundred metres (yards) away at Beirut's port, blew all the windows and doors off Mar Mikhail's pubs, restaurants and apartment homes on Tuesday.

By Wednesday, a spontaneous cleanup operation was underway there, a glimmer of youthful solidarity and hope after a devastating night.

Wearing plastic gloves and a mask, Fadlallah tossed a shard of glass as long as her arm at the door of the state electricity company's administrative building that looms over the district.

"For me, this state is a dump -- and on behalf of yesterday's victims, the dump that killed them is going to stay a dump," she told AFP.

The blast killed more than 110 people, wounded thousands and compounded public anger that erupted in protests last year against a government seen as corrupt and inefficient.

"We're trying to fix this country. We've been trying to fix it for nine months but now we're going to do it our way," said Fadlallah.

"If we had a real state, it would have been in the street since last night cleaning and working. Where are they?"

A few civil defence workers could be seen examining building structures but they were vastly outnumbered by young volunteers flooding the streets to help.

In small groups, they energetically swept up glass beneath blown-out buildings, dragging them into plastic bags.

Others clambered up debris-strewn stairwells to offer their homes to residents who had spent the previous night in the open air.

"We're sending people into the damaged homes of the elderly and handicapped to help them find a home for tonight," said Husam Abu Nasr, a 30-year-old volunteer.

"We don't have a state to take these steps, so we took matters into our own hands," he said.

Towns across the country have offered to host Beirut families with damaged homes and the Maronite Catholic patriarchate announced it would open its monasteries and religious schools to those needing shelter.

Food was quickly taken care of, too: plastic tables loaded with donated water bottles, sandwiches and snacks were set up within hours.

"I can't help by carrying things, so we brought food, water, chocolate and moral support," said Rita Ferzli, 26.

"I think everyone should be here helping, especially young people. No one should be sitting at home -- even a smile is helping right now."

Business owners swiftly took to social media, posting offers to repair doors, paint damaged walls or replace shattered windows for free.

Abdo Amer, who owns window company Curtain Glass, said he was moved to make such an offer after narrowly surviving the blast.

"I had driven by the port just three minutes earlier," the 37-year-old said.

He offered to replace windows for half the price, but said he was fixing some for free given the devastating situation for many families following the Lebanese currency's staggering devaluation in recent months.

"I've gotten more than 7,000 phone calls today and I can't keep up," said the father of four.

"You think the state will take up this work? Actually, let them step down and leave."

Outrage at the government was palpable among volunteers, many of whom blamed government officials for failing to remove explosive materials left at the port for years.

"They're all sitting in their chairs in the AC while people are wearing themselves out in the street," said Mohammad Suyur, 30, as he helped sweep on Wednesday.

"The last thing in the world they care about is this country and the people who live in it."

He said activists were preparing to reignite the protest movement that launched in October.

"We can't bear more than this. This is it. The whole system has got to go," he said.

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

enf (07-08-20),Godzilla (07-08-20),Johnno (07-08-20),lsemmens (07-08-20),RFI-EMI-GUY (06-08-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,935 Times in 1,510 Posts

Impressive silo structure left standing, built tough ...especially considering the buildings behind it got smashed... nice crater form, maybe an extra style point for pushing the vessels away from their moorings... chemistry, gotta luv it =)

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (06-08-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,193 Times in 1,905 Posts

Well estimates put the damage at about $500 Million worth of improvements.....
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
    Well estimates put the damage at about $500 Million worth of improvements.....
    well as long as Aussies aren't forced to contribute i'll be happy. lazy bunch of corrupt knuckle draggers did this to themselves so let them pay for it alone.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

george65 (06-08-20),Mr 672A (07-08-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 580 Posts

Just heard on the Radio.. The Australian Government is sending $2 Million to help..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Johnno View Post
    Just heard on the Radio.. The Australian Government is sending $2 Million to help..
    come in spinner!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    I'll bet theres more dead than being reported.....that blast was just too big...
    Yeah, Couldn't agree more.
    The Vids are one thing but the pictures that are coming out of the aftermath are something else.
    I also suspect there is a lot more to it than just an AN stockpile going up. From my interest in things that go bang, it would take a mini nuke to replicate the blast area. I am not sure that a conventional MOAB would do that. In any case, it was a hell of an energy release.

I was reading up on it last night. I noticed a lot of references had been updated in the past 24 Hours which I thought Curious. Maybe changing the info to suit the narrative? As such I dismissed the Beirut references and went back to older info. Seems this stuff can go off on it's own but also seems the Circumstances to cause that have to be relatively precise. What I read suggested it would be difficult/ unlikely to set it off just by Fire without substantial pressure, containment or another detonation.

Detonations are different to explosions. I have read up on this before. A detonation is a much faster shock wave than an explosion and certainly for the most part, does not happen with low order explosives like gunpowder or petrol, gas etc, needs to be a specific explosive material like C4, dynamite etc. The question then begs, what else was there to set it off? It was NOT fireworks that is for sure. The suggestions that a bomb was planted to set it off are far more creditable.
    Also logical is that it was, at least in part, premixed as an explosive with other materials. even when you do that such as in the case of Tannerite where you can shoot it and set it off, You can't just tag it with a .22 and have it go. You need something well into the supersonic range like a .223 and with some decent ballistic energy.

The suggestion that it was sitting there and a fire in a fireworks factory nearby set it off is not impossible, but from what I saw, is pretty far down the list of likelihood and probability and there are much simpler if embarrassing and sinister explanations that would be easier to believe.

• The Following User Says Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (07-08-20)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

OMG George, you and your conspiracies!

Quote Originally Posted by RFI-EMI-GUY View Post
    I am having second thoughts about the fireworks factory connection. Is there any corroborating evidence that there was actually a fireworks factory on site?

I think this was an accidental fire exacerbated by AN dust and possibly grain dust accumulated in the warehouse.

The flashes seen prior to the main detonation could be localised detonations of AN dust under conditions where the air / fuel mixture, air pressure and temperature were conducive to small detonations leading up to a sufficient shockwave to detonate the entire AN stockpile.

Think of this as octane knocking in an internal combustion engine.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
    Yes some kind of dust that initiated it is quite plausible as well. Whatever was in the silos might have contributed, usually a lot of dust involved there.
    Fact is that SOMETHING was burning strong before the explosions.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

The Lebs can look on the bright side at least.
    According to the Muzzos, nothing happens unless it is Allahs will so nothing to be unhappy about as it is their god speaking to them.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

enf (07-08-20),Landytrack (07-08-20),VroomVroom (07-08-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,935 Times in 1,510 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    The Lebs can look on the bright side at least.
    According to the Muzzos, nothing happens unless it is Allahs will so nothing to be unhappy about as it is their god speaking to them.
    !!....LoL...I can see it now, the Muslims yelling at the Christians..."See? At least our God actually does something!"....

There really has been a rise in this sort of incident over recent decades, you'd wonder how&why a lot of the time, with a general global appreciation of OH&S practices...seems the very things they're aiming to avoid happening, happen anyway.

Vote 1, Murphy =)

Thanks

If its been there for 6 years I wonder how many bags of sand were in the mix. They would have trouble resisting it I would imagine.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post

There really has been a rise in this sort of incident over recent decades, you'd wonder how&why a lot of the time, with a general global appreciation of OH&S practices...seems the very things they're aiming to avoid happening, happen anyway.

Typically, as always, they are now playing themselves as the poor , hard done by innocent Victims. I know many that have not had the interaction I have had with them will for sorry for them but I also know a lot of people ( my Italian and Greek friends especially) will be thinking nothing other than it's a result of their own stupidity and brought completely upon themselves.

Personally, If I was a believer and my god let that happen to his faithful, I'd be looking to take up with the Buddist's or Hindus!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    OMG George, you and your conspiracies!
    Is a conspiracy to you an opinion based on researched fact or just something that doesen't fit withy your overt lefty ideals?
    You might like to swallow the excuses hook line and sinker but I prefer to test the narratives and see how they stack up to established fact which is exactly what I did.

Fireworks and Welding as has now been offered up as an excuse are HIGHLY unlikely bordering on near impossible to have set AN off without something else in the mix like another proper high order explosive. That's verifiable and demonstrable fact.

Accept it or keep your head in the sand and follow the Gubbermint/ MSM narrative as you wish.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteOx View Post
    We have a nice little stockpile of this stuff here in Newcastle.
    Closer to you than me, thank fvck... LOL
    But yeah, more than double what was supposed to have been in the Beirut storehouse.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    Typically, as always, they are now playing themselves as the poor , hard done by innocent Victims. I know many that have not had the interaction I have had with them will for sorry for them but I also know a lot of people ( my Italian and Greek friends especially) will be thinking nothing other than it's a result of their own stupidity and brought completely upon themselves.
    I don't feel one bit sorry for them , In fact I laughed my head off when it came over the news. I was hoping it would be thousands of the turds wiped out , not just hundreds , potentially saving Centrelink a fortune for years to come. Out of all my dealings with lebos in the Sydney construction industry I came to the conclusion 30 years ago that they were the lowest of the low and purposely went out of my way not to employ any of them. that goes for males and females!! If any of my subbies took on a leb then that was the last contract they would get off me. They were the worst tradies on earth anyway and always looked for a way to lie , cheat , steal or go on compo. The Opal tower in Sydney is one of their finest examples of workmanship , and yet they wonder why nobody likes them....Dur !

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

george65 (07-08-20),hca (07-08-20),Mr 672A (07-08-20)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,964 Times in 9,060 Posts

It's all happened before with this stuff. It's just plain dangerous to store in quantity...the lebos just DON'T HAVE ENOUGH vests to require that much.

Look up the Texas Port Explosion in '47......saw a doco on it once.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

george65 (07-08-20),hca (07-08-20)

• Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast