Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Border Closure QLD

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,964 Times in 9,060 Posts

Default Border Closure QLD

The wife and my eldest daughter spent 5 hours in a queue at Goondiwindi (sp?) to cross into Qld. When they got to the border there were 3 military personnel and one cop. That's all.

She told me that the cop didn't do anything except look like he was there to arrest fools. The soldiers checked the bonafides of the travelers. Each one did a car at a time individually.

I'd hate to be in that queue at 0050. I can't even imagine what the queue was like on the coast road....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Silly question, why are so many so desperate to get into Qld ATM?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    Silly question, why are so many so desperate to get into Qld ATM?
    Dunno, and can't speak for anyone else. But there were lots of people going to my mother in laws for her 80th at the end of the month. Palahoweveryouspellit has killed that. So the wife and one of my daughters had to get up there before the border closed....at last they will represent the non Qlders.

I didn't go cause I have sh!t to do, and besides, I don't particularly LIKE Queensland. Never have. I caught the worst cold I've ever had there a couple of years ago. Overrated and overhyped joint in my view....I also have two sons living there.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    I caught the worst cold I've ever had there a couple of years ago. Overrated and overhyped joint in my view....I also have two sons living there.
    I lived in Sydney west close to Penrith an it was cold as some womans c..t and when I got a cold that sent me to Hospital for 2 weeks thats enough because I struggled ever year with the Cold weather so I move with all the Family to QLD . Yes QLD is over rated but has good weather and thats about it otherwise its like other states

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Palahoweveryouspellit
    Glad I'm the only idiot that cant spell here name. What I call here is PALXYX.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

gulliver (08-08-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,935 Times in 1,510 Posts

She told me that the cop didn't do anything except look like he was there to arrest fools. The soldiers checked the bonafides of the travelers. Each one did a car at a time individually.
    With the exception of M1, all the border crossings here are in the middle of nowhere (population density wise) - if someone runs the gate at Goondiwindi, coppers radio ahead and you'll get nailed outside Moree or Toowoomba ; if you run the gate down from Woodenbong, they'll nail you at Rathdowney. Lion's road crossing is still closed afaik, but if you know the area, there's a half-dozen or more unofficial places you can cross the border into Qld. Word on the ground is they're using the ANR system to track entry/movement of interstate vehicle number plates.

The town nearest me is pretty much first-stop if you enter Qld via Hwy-13, and of course these are all yellowplates (Vic not allowed) ~ I've only bounced the question (in rhetoric) off one NewSouthWelshman at the bowser filling up, with "What are you doing up here? Running away from the virus shit down south?" ..and he said "getting out before it turns ugly, plus if there's anything in a warmer climate helping, then I want that on my side as well"...sounds reasonable to me. He explained he was just taking his annual leave, in a timely fashion, and putting his family where he thinks they'll be better off ; he's expecting Sydney to turn to shit by September.

This is, of course, old news now...it's been going on for the last month;

Nor is there any 'desperation' george (you added that word) - this is all happening in a controlled procession...people are thinking, and making choices.

For instance, up here we're in the grip of a mini real-estate boom, with folks from NSW/Vic buying Qld properties (apartments, flats, houses) like never before, often settling on the purchase 'site unseen'...because they have to if the buy is in Vic. The buzz from the real-estate agents, is that many of these folks consider that covid19 is a sign of the times, and is something that's going to stay with us for quite some time, and it's time for a life change, time to get out..ie; they don't want to be stuck in Melbourne the next time this happens.
    Last edited by wotnot; 08-08-20 at 11:28 AM.

Thanks

I don't really see the point of this border closure. Give the mexicans time to invade before you shut the gate but they will still be there. If they were serious, surely it would be no one but Qlders can come in and that's it. They also said from what I heard, no one from the ACT. From the gubbermint stats, there haven't been any new cases in act for a while.

If there was suddenly an outbreak in qld, I'll bet pluckachook would lay an egg if NSW closed the borders to Qld and scream that was unfair. Would be fun to see both the female unpronounceable premiers having digs at one another over that!

The occupancy rate in accommodation in Qld has been especially round the goldy etc must have been pretty dismal these last few months al least.
    One would think they might be just about giving rooms away by now. Starting to get a bit annoyed with all the " Come to Qld " emails and marketing I'm getting especially when it's from the qld tourism department. Why send me this when you are not going to allow me to come even if i want to? Would have been there for a fortnight last month if everything wasn't cancelled. That's not their fault but they aren't exactly helping themselves atm that's for sure.

I really don't know what to make of all these border closures, restrictions and things atm. It's all too conflicting, back and forward and difficult to understand what is in place as well as fathom whether it really is going to do any good or not.
    Seems all the restrictions have so many loopholes that it's hard to see them really achieving a whole lot at all.

Thanks

gold coast tourism is so quiet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Nor is there any 'desperation' george (you added that word) -
    You would have to be desperate to wait 5 hours in a cue to get in there unless you had good reason to need to be there and I'll guarantee all these people, unlike Like Enf's family, are not going because there is an event they have/ want to attend.

Qld might get away lightly with the pox infections but the aftermath in their economy remains to be seen.
    I'd expect that to be every bit as bad as Vics going on their reliance on tourism.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Diezel510 View Post
    gold coast tourism is so quiet.
    Yes because it close to NSW but the Sunshine Coast is Good with people everywhere to a point you cant find a place to park your car.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Son is heading to QLD right now via Tennant Creek - He's taking the kids to visit his sister who lives in Ipswich before I hit the road. I had to delay a couple of weeks to look after his pets! At least when I leave I'll be avoiding the MAIN roads. Going via Innamincka instead.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

............................. They also said from what I heard, no one from the ACT. From the gubbermint stats, there haven't been any new cases in act for a while.

There haven't been any for ages. Palaalphbet got the sh!ts when a guy drove from Sydney to Canberra and then flew to Qld. Just an excuse to slam the borders shut with an election looming, that's all. She's a politician.....THAT'S what drives this. Get elected and who cares who gets screwed.....

QLDs own citizens are just as bad and dangerous, as evidenced by the lubra lipped trollops a couple of weeks ago....

Thanks

well the bubble up here is pretty small , i crossed early this morning and took
    about and hour . i then had to head back over about 10am and took about 5 minutes
    no congestion .

Looks like everyone is either holding back or finally come to grips with it.

i live in tweed so not to bad for me but a mate who lives a bit further south
    is prohibited from crossing and he is about 5km in the wrong post code.
    I have also noticed sweet FA qld plates heading south because
    Byron - balina etc are out of bounds and if the went there they would
    need to isolate at own expense.

• The Following User Says Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

wotnot (08-08-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post
    well the bubble up here is pretty small , i crossed early this morning and took
    about and hour . i then had to head back over about 10am and took about 5 minutes
    no congestion .

Looks like everyone is either holding back or finally come to grips with it.

i live in tweed so not to bad for me but a mate who lives a bit further south
    is prohibited from crossing and he is about 5km in the wrong post code.
    I have also noticed sweet FA qld plates heading south because
    Byron - balina etc are out of bounds and if the went there they would
    need to isolate at own expense.
    we have the same bubble BS here in Albury/Wodonga. Things are so tight you can get across in no time now if you have the correct permit. Permit changes are happening again so many will need a new one for Monday as they don't deem essential workers like aged care facility staff the same as critical workers. So many won't be able to cross and go to work monday until they sort that out. Same happened 2wks ago with medical staff from Wangaratta not being allowed into NSW. They had to sort that out quick smart.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,935 Times in 1,510 Posts

Nah, 80% of Qld state's profits are from exports, tourism's down near 5% of GSP...it doesn't contribute as much to the state's coffers as ppl think. In fact, if you have a look at the numbers, coal exports were really booming in the months before all this covid19 hit, with a number of countries upping their quotas..bit of a curious happening that.

Depression in the tourism industry tends to hit local business operators/owners, it's not a big hit at the bottom line of state productivity ; my daughter has a cafe on the GC, I've a tacit idea where tourism is/isn't ~ it's way down for many, health bars are doing good... predictable really.

One person's necessity can be seen as desperation, but if you are not them, you do not know what their feelings/motivations are - you're making a projection of your own opinion, nothing more. Many of those crossing the state border, are doing so begrudgingly (or thankfully) as it's part of their job (and they still have that as an earner) -- I myself wouldn't find it necessary to visit a dying family member/friend. funeral or such, all things considered, but I surely know other folks see that situation differently, and they would find the trip necessary, and waiting for 5 hours in that cue could indeed be desperate, for them...ie; they might end up arriving at their destination, 2hours after whoever had actually passed away...they've a reason to be desperate, for sure.

I could go on in easy examples, but for mine if you were those folks, facing the prospect of moving family, house, home and lifestyle interstate, waiting 5hours in that line would be a necessary inconvenience, and I'd more leap towards the word 'frustrating' for the majority of folks, especially if you've got kids in the car going 'are we there yet? are we there yet? are we there yet?'...and SWMBO starts asking the same thing =)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

Flew from Kalgoorlie to Perth Thursday arvo, only one person on plane had a mask on.
    Went out to a restaurant for a feed, then to a bar for a few drinks.
    Picked up a truck yesterday morning and drove back to Kalgoorlie.

What covid?

Life is normal here....

Pubs and restaurants still a bit quiet though.

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

My son and daughter had all of that when my wife died, Daughter made it in from Qld in time to see mum, Son could not get in till the next day from the NT. Both felt it necessary to be with mum, but that was the only real hiccup. Daughter and family went home to QLD after the event and Son and his wife stayed until the NT compulsory quarantine in a hotel was lifted. They went home and spent 2 weeks at home just like they did when they returned fro COVID central (i.e. China). No one checked up on them, but they were all fine. Neighbour's friend just moved to NSW from SA, there was NO ONE on the border out of Broken Hill when he went through; in either direction!!!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Money money money....

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

wotnot (25-08-20)

Thanks

Truck drivers are crossing borders and going everywhere every day and they get their knickers in a twist about half a dozen people that have virtually quarantined on the way there and were tested and supposedly cleared before they got off. BFD.
    I guarantee if anyone here had a 100Ft yacht and the means to escape Victoria right now, They woulnd't be hanging around either.
    Was OK for 30K protestors to demonstrate but now they are pissing and moaning about a few people travelling.

Just another petty media rabble rousing story about nothing trying to stir up the bedwetters.

Personally I'd be a lot more concerend about the 3000 Chinese students they want to bring in.
    We know how well all this Hotel Quarantine has worked out so far.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

Personally I'd be a lot more concerend about the 3000 Chinese students they want to bring in.
    Yes but they will be bringing in much needed chineeeze culture.......................and $$$$$

• The Following User Says Thank You to alpha0ne For This Useful Post:

george65 (25-08-20)

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast