Thread: I dislike iTunes more than Windows!!!! RANT alert

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Default I dislike iTunes more than Windows!!!! RANT alert

I had the bright idea, based on some research that an iPhone might talk to my Scala headset better than Android. Since I had a spar iPone kicking around, I thought I might as well try it. I spent most of the day transferring data across. THAT was easy!!! In the end I had to fire up a windows lappy that I keep just for purposes where something will not play with Linux. My headsets are just such devices. They work fine! iTunes on the other hand!!!! What a load of cr*p!!!! I somehow managed to copy some of my music to the phone, along with a couple of files that I use as ringtones.

For some reason iTunes will not tell me what has been copied to the phone, even though it see the phone. I cannot copy anything else to the phone and the ringtones are locked into the music folder and nothing will permit me to either copy them to the correct folder from my computer or move them to the correct folder on the phone!

Does ANYONE know how the stuff Apple has the idea that these devices are user friendly?

How the (insert appropriate very rude expletive here) do you set a custom ring tone in this thing if you can't put said ringtone in the "tones" folder?
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

bob_m_54 (15-08-20)

Look Here ->
    Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

itunes is dead.

I think there are there are some freeware music players on their app store.
    I never had an iOS device that was not jailbroken I never bothered that.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 15-08-20 at 11:59 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

enf (16-08-20)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,963 Times in 9,059 Posts

They ARE user friendly, because they TELL YOU they are user friendly.......

Time to fork out another $2000 or so for this years new phone.............

The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

mtv (16-08-20),Tiny (18-08-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

enf (17-08-20)

Thanks

Take your pick of these iTunes Alternatives.

BY the way I don't own a iPhone so got no idea if they meet your needs. Hope it helps.

• The Following User Says Thank You to joezep For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (17-08-20)

LSemmens
    Thanks

So Far I'm not convinced that bits of fruit are worth the effort. I think I may go back to my Samsung

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

wotnot (18-08-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

I've had iphones since the iphone 3 and can honestly say that itunes is the most unintuitive bloated piece of shit ever.

My current itunes on my win 7 computer will no longer update my apps because my win 7 is considered obsolete.

I remember the frustration of putting a ringtone in the bloody phone through itunes as you can't just drop it in to tones but required some weird work around and requires the file to be .m4r.

A quick search gave this 'simple' way to get a ringtone installed..so unnecessarily complicated.

Create a ringtone

1. Select a track to use as the source. You cannot use an Apple Music item, or anything that is in the cloud.
    2. On the Get Info > Options tab set start and stop times no more than 40 seconds apart, or 30 seconds for text tones.
    3. Under Edit (Win) or iTunes (Mac) > Preferences > General tab > Import Settings choose AAC Encoder > High Quality 128k. **
    4. Use File > Convert > Create AAC version.
    5. Reset the start and stop times on the original track.
    6. Right-click on the new copy and click Show in Windows Explorer or Finder.
    7. Delete the new entry from the library without sending to the recycle bin/trash. *
    8. Change the file extension from .m4a to .m4r. (You may need to adjust folder options to see the extensions.)
    9. If running iTunes 12.7 or later you should move the file into <Media Folder>\Tones.

* If you omit this step on a Mac iTunes/Music will remain connected to the renamed file as if it was a regular music track, and it may then ignore any attempt to manually add it to your device.

** In Music for Catalina the Import Settings option is found under Music > Preferences > Files.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mandc For This Useful Post:

enf (18-08-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    So Far I'm not convinced that bits of fruit are worth the effort. I think I may go back to my Samsung
    I refuse to work on fruit, and I'm not into eating apples that someone else has already taken a bite of.

I've actually been thru this before with a friend's iphone, and they like myself run linux....so the process was..."interesting"..

Why is it so?

I could rant, but I won't -- they're spreading treated human waste out across the front paddock ~ they could use iphones instead, by they contain no nutrients =)

LSemmens
    Thanks

All of the above Wotnot. I think I'm going to go back to my Samsung. At least Linux is allowed to talk to that!

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

wotnot (18-08-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

It's a load of bollocks, m'kay? A .m4r file is just apple repackaging a standard mpeg4 format audio file, with proprietary DRM stitched into it. I'm actually surprised iOS doesn't squeal like a piglet when you rename a AAC file to M4R...and there is no DRM in those files.

Also, it's not merely a case of which host operating system/software you need to use ; IMHO with apple products, you're paying a premium for inconvenience,to be part of 'think different'

'Think different' is a terminology that perhaps applied, when the iphone first came out...but now, in the reality as it is, 'think different' means what...?...getting an android phone, that at hardware level, outperforms the apple product...at a lower price point.

To have real fun.... now that Android has the Treble project support, there's a couple of treble roms out there that emulate the apple iOS look&feel...without all the apple proprietary BS, and with all the convenience of androidOS

Premium Member
    Thanks

Oh!!.... and just for your delectation, I just wandered outside to grab a pic of our garbage bin;

Pretty much sums apple up for mine =)

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

firemansparky (09-09-20),Johnno (18-08-20),lsemmens (18-08-20),Tiny (18-08-20)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    To have real fun.... now that Android has the Treble project support, there's a couple of treble roms out there that emulate the apple iOS look&feel...without all the apple proprietary BS, and with all the convenience of androidOS
    But, but, but, why would you bother, android is so easily customisable, so personalise by all means, but make it look like the iphone? bugger that.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

wotnot (18-08-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    But, but, but, why would you bother, android is so easily customisable, so personalise by all means, but make it look like the iphone? bugger that.
    To futz with ppl's heads ; toss them your android (I've an Asus MAX Pro), and wait & see how long it takes before they ask "which model iphone is this?"

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (19-08-20)

LSemmens
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    To futz with ppl's heads ; toss them your android (I've an Asus MAX Pro), and wait & see how long it takes before they ask "which model iphone is this?"
    Oh! you are norty! But I like it!