Thread: Network Monitor

Thanks

Default Network Monitor

Just looking for a simple Program to monitor my home network.

Something that shows connected wired and wireless devices and data usage per device

thanks thomo

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Angry IP Scanner (angryip.org) is what I have used for many years.

It works on Windows, MAC and Linux.

Edit: I've only now realised that you also wish to monitor wired and wireless data usage per device.

That's only possible by using software (if it exists) that looks at each output on your router.
    Perhaps one of the more exotic (and expensive) routers will allow you to do that.
    From memory, a friend (now deceased) restricted his wife's internet traffic, but his router cost him over a thousand dollars about ten years ago.

A SEARCH using the duckduckgo search engine (duckduckgo.com) will put you in the right direction.

For starters, use the SEARCH string, software to monitor each output of router.

Anyway, you had better commence saving your pennies, as a solution will not be cheap.
    Last edited by tristen; 22-08-20 at 11:36 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

RedXT (23-08-20)

Thanks

You can't do that with a device that's not designed to do that. Routers and switches only send data to the port with the destination device, so you have two options: OpenWrt is custom open source firmware, but its features are dependent on the hardware capabilities of the router you load it onto. The better option is Ubiquiti UniFi. A Ubiquiti router paired with a Ubiquiti Access Point will allow you to monitor data usage per port (router/switch) and per device (WiFi) using their UniFi Controller software.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Q101ATFD For This Useful Post:

RedXT (24-08-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RedXT View Post
    Something that shows connected wired and wireless devices and data usage per device
    Can you explain exactly *what* you're looking to discover?....ie; one device using more data than others? Just curiosity?

Thanks

Ntop used to show how much bandwidth devices were consuming in real time. It’s quite a bit of effort to set up and was much easier with a router that supported netflow data export.

As someone said above: some of the Ubituiti gear will do what you want and would be easier to set up than ntop.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Can you explain exactly *what* you're looking to discover?....ie; one device using more data than others? Just curiosity?
    Just curiosity, I was looking at the router recently and there were 4 wired and and 18 wireless devices connected.

I didnt realize it was so hard, I was just wondering how much data each device was using on a daily or weekly basis, eg Computers,TVs , android boxes, phones, tablets, CCTV, IP cameras etc

thanks thomo

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RedXT View Post
    Just curiosity, I was looking at the router recently and there were 4 wired and and 18 wireless devices connected.

I didnt realize it was so hard, I was just wondering how much data each device was using on a daily or weekly basis, eg Computers,TVs , android boxes, phones, tablets, CCTV, IP cameras etc
    Well it's not -that- hard depending on your equipment/setup.

The first question I would ask, is do you fully expect 18wireless clients connected to your router? I only expect up to 6 because I know how many wifi devices I have =) Most households would not have that many wifi clients, but then I'm assuming it's a household environment...maybe it isn't. I've seen folks setup wifi routers, and the 'guest' networks have been turned on, and as a consequence they'd been supplying 'free' internet to those households around them ....this happens.

Also, what wifi router is it? (brand/model) We have a tp link vr1600v, nothing special ISP supplied unit, and it tallies wifi client traffic defaultly [Advanced->wireless->statistics];

It's only a packet count, but once you math in the MTU value you can figure out actual.

This modem -does- have a traffic monitor built-in, but it serves a blank page when I click on it -- either it's disabled in firmware, or I'd have to RTFM to find out how to enable it.

What is does have, is a snmp interface [Advanced->system tools/snmp settings];

I'm unsure how comprehensive the device's snmp MiB is, but typically speaking this protocol can spit out all interface statistics on an snmp query...octets in/out for sure, but this all depends on the device MiB

To use it, you'd need install an snmp client on the host computer, and config to query the router for MiB data.... simple network management protocol

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

RedXT (25-08-20)