Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NBN Providor Sugggestions.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Default NBN Providor Sugggestions.

Telstra are telling us they are going to be shortly cutting off the ADSL. As such I'm looking for a new internet and land line provider and looking at cancelling foxtell which costs a lot and does not get used much. If we can substitute netflix and this "Stan" whatever the fk that is, that will do. I don't watch TV anyway, just for the Mrs and she sleeps in front of it more than she watches it. The normal FTA is good enough as I think we can still get netflix.

Relevant Information:

Use the net a lot, not for downloading movies ( daughter watched some netflicks ) or gaming, but a lot of YT and general viewing.

We are 900M from the node in the street so I am told that we won't get 100 speed.

Would like something fast but not sure how to get it affordably.

Antenna blew off the house so need something to give us Free to air channels or I'll have to put up another antenna which I don't want to do as it will shade solar panels.
    Have the foxtell satelite, can I put another box on that for FTA and preferably recording?

Providor I am looking at is is IInet because of cost, speed and you get a set top box for FTA and can get landline through them as well. Looking at the 50 speed pack with the $5 phone add on.

Also saw this satellite deal from skymesh but not sure if 2048 Kpbs is equivalent to NBN 50 speed. They also don't see to have phone or TV.

Am pretty pissed off with the near useless service/ support and Fking around from Telstra so they are low on the preference list. If they are the best deal and reliability and for what I want in TV, phone and net, may have to stay with them and hope for the best.... which is bound to lead to disappointment.

We are on the outskirts of Sydney near Camden.

Pissed off Completely that due to the gubbermints retarded railroading that I couldn't reconnect to the Optus Cable I was on at the old place when it runs right past the house. That was faster, cheaper and infinitely more reliable than this NBN bullshit.
    One thing I am concerned about is that no pack of clowns seem to have any speed guarantee. If I sign up for 50 and only get 25 or something, what are my options? Don't want to be paying for something I can't get. I'd like to avoid NBN all together but seems somehow even the satelite runs through that or have I got it wrong? They say it's NBN?

Suggestions welcomed.

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

I'm not sure about the current best providers. I've been very happy with Telstra and currently remain on Cable. I joined them on 25Mbps but the speed was quickly increased first to 50 and then to 100 at no extra charge. Plan is bundled with home phone. My download speed on speedtest is usually around 103Mbps even using a VPN. I don't care much about upload but its usually just under 5. Needless to say I am sticking with this as long as possible. When I am forced to go to NBN Telstra will want to charge me the same price for at best half the speed. When I became aware of this some time ago I decided Aussie Broadband looked good. At the time they had a plan which would have given me close to my existing speeds at about the same cost but without home phone. As my home phone is now worse than useless as it is rarely used and gets only scammers calling, this is not a factor. Also, Aussie Broadband was getting good reports here and on other forums at the time.

This is no doubt now very outdated and I will have to look what is available when the evil day comes and I am forced to go NBN. I will be interested in the other replies you get.

Also, don't touch the Satellite. It is nowhere near comparable.

Thanks

am with aussie broadband and have been for over 12 months.
    I'm on a 100/40 plan and get around 75 at night dips to around 68 during peak.

Been very happy with them they do house and mobile if you want and you can bring your own modem

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

You don't get a choice of the type of NBN connection, it's whatever the technology is available in your location, which as you've mentioned is FTTN.

+1 for Aussie Broadband.... all Australian support if you ever need it.

Premium Member
    Thanks

aussie broadband great support service

Thanks

+3 for Aussie Broadband

Thanks

Avoid satellite like the plague. When everyone else uses it, the system gets really slow. Terrible latency.

I’m with Internode, who used to be great. Iinet bought Internode and not much changed. TPG bought Iinet and ever since then the quality of the service has been getting degraded. The overseas call centre is a nightmare, I’d avoid any of the TPG group.

I’d love to move to Aussie Broadband, but there are some issues peculiar to my situation and not relevant to this thread.
    Last edited by shred; 27-08-20 at 07:29 AM.

Thanks

With the Fetch mini provided by iinet, you still need an antenna for FTA, and it will stop working if you switch to a different ISP.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

If you are "out bush" then Telstra is you best provider as all the others lease bandwidth off them. If you are looking for a good streaming service, I have Fetch and Netflix, a good freebie is Tubi which has a LOT of old stuff on it. I'm talking John Wayne, Charlie Chaplin, The Rat pack, and some more recent titles like Midsomer murders.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

Yes, out of the cities telstra is the go.
    I have had no dramas with them, very fast speeds and their supplied modem is excellent.
    Any outages and it falls back to 4g.

Their matching wifi extender is brilliant.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Thanks for the reccomendations and Advise. Looks like I won't worry about satellite. I thought it may be the lightning fast option. Seems there isn't one any more.
    I'll give IInet a miss too.

Seems I have come down to Telstra or Aussie.
    The service from Telstra so far here has been shit house. Had to have them out twice in 3 months and trying to get on to them is a Fking nightmare.
    The first outage I went to the telstra shop as I got fed up waiting on hold for an hour even on hands free and they were less than useless and couldn't have been more disinterested.

Telstra does have in it's favour the backup modem although I'm not sure we get 4G here. If we do we probably get it outside but not inside. Aussie is going to be $145 for the modem and from what I can make out, $15 a month for the fetch box which from what I understand, is included with telstra and you just pay for the packages you want, if any.
    The service reccomendations are definatly in Aussies favour but I was wondering if they don't come down to Telstra for Physical faults like I have had.
    The first one was some peanut was working on the pole out the front fixing someone elses service and Fked mine. Took a week to get some clown back who fixed it in literally 5 min when I told him someone had been at the pole. He said he could see where " they made a mistake" and after pressing him admitted it was a Fk up.

Still either option is a lot cheaper than what we pay now for net and phone with poxsmell thrown on top.

The TV seems the sticking point as to what you get and the cost. I'll give them both a ring tomorrow to clarify what's what and see if I can wheel and deal them off against one another. :0)

Any other suggestions welcome and thanks again for those so far.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,147 Times in 1,058 Posts

I use Zettanet. I have 3 connections with them, 2 HFC & 1 FTTN. All have VOIP Phone. No problems.
    Support is based in Perth and not 24Hr but rarely ring them.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    The service reccomendations are definatly in Aussies favour but I was wondering if they don't come down to Telstra for Physical faults like I have had.
    NBN network maintenance is performed by NBN contractors.

Telstra does not own or maintain the NBN network.

Premium Member
    Thanks

i was with iinet for about 12yrs when tpg took over it went to the doghouse i did not pay for the router from aussie but i use my dlink that cost me $800 anyway
    Last edited by dai; 28-08-20 at 02:13 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dai View Post
    i was with iinet for about 12yrs when tpg took over it went to the doghouse i did not pay for the router from aussie but i use my dlink that cost me $800 anyway
    yep i am also using my own DSL-AC68U modem with aussie because it is
    so much better that any of the provider supplied units.

Also as to speeds dont get to excited , being 900 from the node you can expect a max of about 40Mb

Last edited by fandtm666; 28-08-20 at 07:53 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

efab (28-08-20)

Thanks

Aussie all the way!
    Wouldn’t even touch Telstra for NBN!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

also whatever modem you get look for the latest firmware. I have the same modem as 666 and an update fixed a few problems I had.

Unfortunately the old copper backbone is the cause of most issues where we are, but I suppose that is the issue for a lot of places.

So far no real hassles - touch wood !!

Thanks

Keep well away from Telstra if you want service. Before covid-19 it was impossible to speak to anyone in Australia. ALL contact was through the overseas call centres, and if you wanted anything outside their scripted responses you were out of luck. You couldn't get an order number out of them. They would only give you a "reference" number, and on a follow up call they would deny any knowledge of that.

I've seen something about them bringing all their call centres back to Australia, but I wouldn't trust them to keep them here after the shutdowns are over.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

No need to call telstra with nbn faults, do online test, if it fails, nbn tech is sent.

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 580 Posts

HFC cable on my end and I just switched over to Aussie with a voip landline deal. I was with Telstra.

Vast subscription is another way of using your satellite dish.

You just installed a shit load of solar panels on your roof and a simple FTA antenna shouldn't be that much of a pain to install.. LOL The amount of shade would be minimal..
    Last edited by Johnno; 28-08-20 at 01:29 PM.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast