Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NBN Providor Sugggestions.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Johnno View Post

You just installed a shit load of solar panels on your roof and a simple FTA antenna shouldn't be that much of a pain to install.. LOL The amount of shade would be minimal..
    Yeah well that was the excuse, the reality is I just don't want one.
    The old one was " Uninstalled" when it blew down in the wind and punched a Hole through the tin roof. Because of where we are, all the antennas round here are on 12 Ft masts so not that easy to install on a 34o tin roof.

If I can get away with some sort of set top box connected to the foxtel Dish, that would be ideal otherwise something through the net.

Looking at the vast site I don't think I'd qualify. Is there a set top box I can buy to use with the Old Foxtel dish and if so, can that be used for netflicks or is that only through the net?

Thanks

I'm with and have been with them for a few months. Never had a dropout or a problem and I'm on 100/20 Mbps get constantly 93 Mbps even during peak times for $88 inc voip

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 580 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    If I can get away with some sort of set top box connected to the foxtel Dish, that would be ideal otherwise something through the net.

Looking at the vast site I don't think I'd qualify. Is there a set top box I can buy to use with the Old Foxtel dish and if so, can that be used for netflicks or is that only through the net?
    Yes you can use your fox dish, starting price would be around the $300 for Card & Decoder. It is a one off payment only not a subscription. There's a Vast thread in the Satellite section.

To qualify... Well, you've gotta think outside the box.

Thanks

What technology NBN are your neighbours on?
    Do you know what technology they want to put you on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

check out the above from leroy

Thanks

Hi Geroge65,

Just at the moment there is a good amount of choice with what I would describe as top tier and the rest. Most have good and bad points.

You mention IInet and they are now part of the TPG group. TPG is what I consider to be a mid tier provider, lots of happy campers but might be just a little hit and miss at times. Good prices.

A lot of people like Aussie Broadband. They are I think like the complete package. Great network, good portal allowing you to do a number of things with your connection and account. Australian based (vic) support. They also have a great app for the phone. Prices though at the moment are a little high. But that tends to be cyclical.. as the market changes.

Launtel are very interesting as they have daily pricing. Might sound a bit pointless at first glance but if you want you can use it to save you money. You can change plans for free and as often as you want. You can sit on a low speed plan for doing day to day internet stuff and then upgrade to a high speed plan for when you want to download the internet.. so you only pay the higher price when you need the speed.

Another company that is offering a different sort of plan is Future Broadband. (full disclosure, my provider) They have data banking on quota plans. In short its a bit like Luantel. You can be on a higher plan until you fill up your data bank and then move to a lower plan and rely on the databank when you go over quota. They also throw in a static IP and use a business network for reliable speeds and stability. They do have a sign up fee, a referral scheme, pay in advance discount and limited support on weekends. Perth based support so good if you are on the east coast and need to contact after work.

Superloop. Another reasonably new kid on the block. I tried them out earlier in the year. Great network, top tier ISP. Good portal and have really good pricing at the moment. Australian based support. Going through a few growing pains but they seem to be addressing them well.

Those are just a few of the ISP's I personally like but other may of course have different opinions and experiences so its a matter of looking around, check out review sites etc. My one advice is to try and avoid a contract in case the ISP you do go with is a bit of dog.. Its easy to move to other ISP's under the NBN. Also in regards to VOIP (home phone) I like to recommend people go use a provider not aligned with any ISP just to make it easy if you do want to churn to a new one. (a bit like email accounts now)

Anyway, this is my first post so I hope its within the standard of this forum. I also hope it helps in your decision making..
    Good luck with it all..

DR

Edits: spelling and clarity.
    Last edited by Drought Relief; 06-09-20 at 05:36 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drought Relief For This Useful Post:

DB44 (06-09-20),george65 (06-09-20)

Thanks

Default NBN options

Hi

I deal with the question Daily "who should I go with"...

There is more to consider than just who is best. All the major providers can deliver great service. The majors are Telstra Optus and Iinet. While ever they work there is no real issue. The moment a customer needs to contact these companies the real nightmare begins. The only way I could get a response from Telstra recently was to contact the ombudsman. There is no doubt that Aussie Broadband is the best for help. Their customer service is by far the best in the market place....BUT.

The decision when considering pricing on both the delivery of phone services and DATA Telstra kills it. I hate Telstra and with a passion but when retaining the copper line for phone calls in regional remote Australia the copper is a must. The local NBN tower went out for three days recently due major power outages after storms. With little mobile service available the copper line is a must. The $90 a month from Telstra for the internet connection and retaining copper with calls included is a no brainer. When taking phones service with Aussie broadband call charges are introduced..

If a person only needs a data connection for internet then Aussie broadband are hard to beat. If people want to retain copper and have internet services Telstra are hard to get around.

Do you homework on house old needs before committing. Nbn delivery services to residential homes is set by the technology offered by NBN... there are choices in some locations under some circumstances for a technology change. The cost of any change is completely at the owners requesting it.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I thought I had recently posted a rant about Telstra "service" I wanted a temporary disconnect on all my services whilst I was travelling. They could not even understand that! That was after two fone calls! The first one was disconnected by the robot after it went around in circles for 20 minutes. The second one finally found a voice from India after another hour of waiting. In the end I said "Cancel the bluddy lot!" Telstra used to be good, heck I even worked for them for 12 years a couple of those were dealing with the connection and disconnection of services, so I know how easy it is! Aussie BB will likely get my business when I return, depends upon who answers the phone first!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

I signed up with Aussie following all the recommendations.
    Yeah, they seem fractionaly more expensive than some other providors but they weren't charging so Much that having the ability to talk to people here in english when I need to was too much. I'll happily pay extra for that even If I never use it.

So glad I found a telstra alternative. I had endless trouble with telstra 20 years ago and went to optus. They were much better although not perfect but still less of a Mind Fk that dealing with telstra. When we came here we had no Choice than to go with telstra and that 3 years experience has shown they have probably gone backwards if anything and that my impression of them is far from outdated.

The service was far from great, had to have them out 4 times in 3 years to fix THEIR Fkups and the 2 this year have been a frustration I literally could not handle and had to pass onto the Mrs. Last one they said it would be 10 days before they even got to putting us on the list to send out a propeller head. Fk that! Did the same thing with the guy next door whom is waiting for a heart operation and needs his phone working. His mrs rang and declared the phone a medical necessity and they came and fixed it the next day.

I even went into town to the telstra shop and the level of " Couldn't give a Fk and wouldn't lift a finger to help " was unbelievable. I turned and walked out before I literally took some smartarse Millennials head off their indignant shoulders.

My Daughter works for JB hifi in a metro shopping centre in phones and Camera's . There is no telstra Signal in the place yet they are supposed to sell telstra services and connections.
    It's not the place, She is with Optus which works fine and so does Vodaphone which is really saying something. Recently a staff member moved house in the middle of suburbia and has had unlimited trouble getting a telstra line and internet. The Telstra rep who comes to the shop stepped in to obviously do the right thing by one of their sales " agents" and after 2 weeks and endless hours of her time, Gave up, said I have no Idea WTF these people are doing, go with someone else because I cannot help you with this.
    Daughter who gets on with said rep very well said she was genuinely troubled and conflicted by this .

I took Dads Mobile off Telstra couple of weeks ago and put him with Amasim ( optus) and saved him $30 a month on a plan Telstra couldn't match. He was wary, thinking Telstra, Telecom and the PMG whom he worked for a long time were the ones that owned all the phone lines and infrastructure so must be the best.
    His opinion has changed in under a month.

I'll see how frustrating installing the new modem and getting everything set up turns out to be. I'm far from Computer and networking inept but been down that road before and know how infuriating it can be because they can't even write their instructions correctly. Hope to hell I'm proven wrong this time.

Bit of luck I should be rid of telstra by the end of the week.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Another option is Launtel.

GOOD:
    Connection was active in about 5min.
    Daily plan - disconnect when away (holidays...), activate when you return.
    Speeds on FTTP 100/40 plan - Ping: 11ms; Download: 108Mbps; Upload: 37.45Mbps on most days.
    Quick to assist with faults. They are very active on WP site.
    Three plans to choose from.

BAD:
    Expensive at $3.00 per day on 3-mth special on 100/40 plan.
    Reverts to $3.5 per day after special expires on 100/40 plan.

For us after the 3-mth special price expires, the cost breaks the $100/mth barrier and is too expensive.
    We will either look elsewhere or drop the plan speed and price.

Aussie BB is another viable option.
    From what others here and elsewhere have said, they have favourable comments about their service.
    Last edited by Xplorer; 29-09-20 at 03:42 PM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Thanks

I went with the advise of Aussie Broadband.

Signed up online which was simple enough. They sent the modem a few weeks back and scheduled the connect day with the NBN. Something like a 7 am to 2 Pm appointment but you don't have to be home. Sitting here this morning and notice about 7: 30 the helstra modem has dropped out. Pull out the one I got from Aussie, Plugged it in, rebooted computer, went to go set up IP's etc and the fker is working already. Beautiful!!

Do a speed check and it's half of what I signed up for being 25 instead of 50 But it's loads better than what we had. I'll give it a month and see if the speed is better in the wee hours of the night when I often use it and if not, I'll ring and see if there is anything they can do to get it up to speed. I think they will have to put in another node and I have Buckleys of that. Worst case I'll drop it back down to the 25 Speed.

I notice on the speed test it says Aussie and Telstra. Does Aussie piggyback off the Telstra nutwork? Not a plus but If I don't have to deal with the Fktards at Hellstra then I spose that's OK.

Wifi hooked up easy as well and daughter is happy we have internet worth a damn. Tried to tell her it wouldn't work but she spotted me on my tablet so that ruse was up.

Setup for this could not have been easier and was certainly easier than I thought it would be. 2 Hours in, All very good. Now I'll just have to re set my repeaters and all should be much better.

Thanks to all for the good advise.

• 17-01-21, 04:22 AM

Thanks

Hi, I'm with DODO 50/20 6 years already 70 AUD/m. No major issues here but evening speed can drop to 29Mbps second test is usually better. :biggrin today first was 32Mbps second nearly 40. My contract will expire in 46 days, and I'm thinking of switching to TPG 100/50
    Last edited by d_worms; 26-01-21 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Adding link to net speed test

Thanks

whats your optus service like? they have decent mobile broad band deals currently, i think the best one i have seen is 500gb/$67.50/mth for the first 12mths on a 24mth plan, best part is completely portable, a decent MIMO panel or set of yagi/directionals pointed at a suitable tower or if unsure a set of verticals to give a steady signal, note often optus' predicted coverage is better than they predict, my inlaws use optus mobile broadband and they are 48km from the tower and optus' coverage maps say they shouldnt have signal, but they get 20d/15u speeds using 2 verticals on their roof. i could probably get better speeds if i changed their antennas to directionals but its working and its more than sufficient for them.
    please note your experience may vary with speeds.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12