Thread: Insurance company diddling!

Thanks

Default Insurance company diddling!

Hi everybody,

Well my wife and I are getting renewal insurance quotes for our cars. We both have Hyundai Accent's.

We are getting quotes from a number of companies online and they are giving us a 2013 insurance quote for a car that has a compliance plate of 02/2014 on the car and the Department of Transport have the car as 2014 on the registration paperwork.

We are just wondering if anybody else has had insurance companies trying to diddle and up the years on a car? We both are gobsmacked and just are wondering what is with this racquet?

Can anyone advise?

With baited breath.

Look Here ->

Thanks

What is the car’s build date? For an imported car like a Hyundai to have a February 2014 compliance plate, it’s very likely that it was built in 2013. Hence, it will be a 2013 model.

Take it to a second hand car dealer and ask for a trade in price - they will price it as a 2013. If a car dealer were to sell it, they might advertise it as “first registered 2014”, or sometimes “Model year 2014” (a sneaky trick by some makers is to slightly change the model in September, then call it the next year’s model).

If the car was built in 2013, then it is and always will be a 2013 car. Does it really matter for insurance purposes? Insure for an agreed value and it doesn’t matter if it is perceived to be six years old or seven years old.

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shred For This Useful Post:

David071 (02-09-20),enf (02-09-20),lsemmens (02-09-20),Tiny (02-09-20),wotnot (02-09-20)

Thanks

Yeah thanks Shred.

That is interesting. Yes understand that! If you buy a car an THINK it is a certain year and even have Department of Transport papers and compliance plate for a certain year - and then find out it was the year before!?! You are certainly not getting the year model car you thought you were getting? We will just expect that we are probably buying the year before model???

Funny thing is my wife has a Hyundai 12/2013 compliance plate and her car is down as a 2014 build on the insurance company quoting? I can't work em out!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David071 View Post
    her car is down as a 2014 build on the insurance company quoting?
    That'll be that "MY 2014" thing, where some makers give the old model a bit of a tart up in about September, then start selling them as "model year 2014", because it has slightly bigger tail fins, or round headlights instead of rectangular and chrome instead of black.... or something to try to make the old ones look out of date.

When you are buying a car, the industry wants you to think it's a fresh, new model. When you are selling, the only thing they will look at is the build date.

Thanks

Yes thanks Shred. All correct. It is all a bit of a laugh with these car company's - obviously buying a new car - in some cases you are buying the year before build date car!

As you said you do an "agreed value."

Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

If a car is built overseas in late 2013, then imported to Australia to be complied in preparation to be sold which may take months, it may be complied in 2014 however its still a 2013 model.

If your unsure of the build year, PM me the VIN and i can look it up in my model search software, it will tell me when it was built.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

David071 (05-09-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Build date is just that, when it was built.
    They are probably going by the VIN which says the BUILD date.

Date on the compliance plate is when it was given certification to be on the road in Oz and meet the necessary design regulations in Australia. Compliance does not denote the age of the vehicle, only the year of the standards to which it was approved for use in Oz.

You can in fact have a used vehicle imported and complied in Oz and it could be 10 years old before it is inspected and given approval. Some things that have to usualy be done to imports is things like Seat belts, Tyres, lights etc which may not be the same and in all countries.
    In fact from memory, I think there is something about some cars that can't be brought here unless they are 30 yrs old or more.

The same car may have got to another country sooner and as such be built and Complied in the same year.
    Build date and compliance date do not have to be the same time and if you look at the months on a plate rarely are if they weren't locally built.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

David071 (05-09-20),shred (04-09-20)