Thread: Dyson vacuum no-go

Premium Member
    Thanks

Default Dyson vacuum no-go

Hi guys, I have a Dyson V8 Animal vacuum that has shut down. It happened after the battery went flat, and I charged it back up.

I removed the battery and measured the voltage, and it is fully charged. I then measured the resistance across the terminals on the vac: open circuit.

Has anyone had this fault and been able fix it themselves?

Cheers, peteblundoon
    Last edited by peteblundoon; 03-09-20 at 01:41 PM.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I never had the problem or had to repair my Dyson but came across website which has few troubleshooting tips

• The Following User Says Thank You to fromaron For This Useful Post:

peteblundoon (03-09-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peteblundoon View Post
    Hi guys, I have a Dyson V8 Animal vacuum that has shut down. It happened after the battery went flat, and I charged it back up.

I removed the battery and measured the voltage, and it is fully charged. I then measured the resistance across the terminals on the vac: open circuit.

Has anyone had this fault and been able fix it themselves?

Cheers, peteblundoon
    So I made a mistake, and had set my digital multimeter to the megohm range. On a lower range it measures just over 5k ohms. That still seems too high.
    Last edited by peteblundoon; 03-09-20 at 09:14 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

If worse comes to worst, you can buy replacement batteries from fleabay.

• The Following User Says Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

peteblundoon (03-09-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

I see Dyson sticks at the tip all the time , there were about 20 of them yesterday. it most likely will be the thermal fuse on the motherboard , which they wont sell you separately. Looks like a surface mount resistor. You may be able to bypass it and could get lucky but thats only until some other common fault renders it useless.

FWIW i would never buy anything Dyson again , its just over rated , over advertised , impossible to repair chinese made rubbish. I managed a shopping centre fitout and bought 40 hand dryers for the bathrooms and had to return 12 of them within 6 months . By the end of 2 years they were all replaced with Mitsu dryers , and never had a single fault with those.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

gulliver (27-02-21),peteblundoon (04-09-20)

Thanks

My Daughter just got one of the new Samsung stick vacs as a promo deal as she sells them.
    All of us have used it and agree it is superior to the current model Dyson we have. (v10??)

One tell tale experiment we did was vac the floor with the perfectly operational Dyson and then vac the same bit of carpet with the samsung.
    The amount of Dirt the Samsung Pulled on the just cleaned floor amazed us all. It wasn't a little, It half filled the dust chamber just from the 8 SqM of hallway carpet.

There are a few things with the Samsung I don't like but the women don't have the same problems and it's really down to me having Big hands and being a lot taller than the average person, especially women. One thing we do all like, the Samsung has plenty of battery capacity. Our house is larger than average but it's at least 2 Charges on the Dyson to get it done. The samsung does it with ease at medium power which is still enough to pull a lot more grot out the carpet than the dyson which I thought has the best suction and cleaning power of all these vacs.

The latest Dyson and the samsung have interchangeable batteries like a cordless drill or power tool. why the hell they have held out on this so long is Beyond me. Several people we know have expressed frustration at this in the past.

I don't think the samsung is much cheaper than the Dyson but in our combined opinions, IS a better machine.

I would love to get hold of a bunch of scrapped Dysons though. The fans and Motors I could put to good re-purposing use. I looked on Dumbtree a while back and people were asking stupid prices for them even not working.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

Keith (05-09-20),peteblundoon (07-09-20)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Try vauuming another piece of carpet, first with your new vac, then with the old Dyson, see if you get similar results. NO vacuum is perfect.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Long shot! I thought i had stuffed our Dyson, turned out it will cut out when the head gets rubbish and hair caught in it, cleaned it out and all worked again
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Thanks

I cleaned out the office today. Got out the Samsung and I definitely prefer it over the Dyson. it just seems better balanced and easier to use.
    I also like the fact you can turn it on with a button and don't have to hold the trigger like the Dyson. Might no be much but I find that annoying after a while.

I don't like the fact the samsung has to be retracted after I extend it for my height to go back in the charger but I do like the way it empties which allows the dirt compartment to be taken off rather than take the whole head to the bin.

Like a lot of things, the best product would probably be a combination of them both and maybe some things from other competitors thrown in.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I bought a Dyson a few years ago and it was terrible. Average suction. Horrible to use, just uncomfortable in every possible way. It blew up just out of warranty with a big bang and smoke.

Bought a Miele which I still have. Made in Germany. Unlike the Dyson, it has bags, but I now prefer bags to bag less. The amount of power between the 2 is amazing, using the Miele showed me just how bad the Dyson was.

When I bought the Miele, I got a youngish sales girl and I said my vacuum just blew up just out of warranty and I wanted a Miele. She asked " Was it a Dyson ?" I said yes, thinking she was just guessing given their popularity. She said " I would never buy one of their products, they are over priced, poorly made and are realistically just a marketing company that has sucked in most of the population".

Wow, a well informed young lady

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

gulliver (27-02-21),hinekadon (26-02-21)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    I bought a Dyson a few years ago and it was terrible. Average suction. Horrible to use, just uncomfortable in every possible way. It blew up just out of warranty with a big bang and smoke.

Bought a Miele which I still have. Made in Germany. Unlike the Dyson, it has bags, but I now prefer bags to bag less. The amount of power between the 2 is amazing, using the Miele showed me just how bad the Dyson was.

When I bought the Miele, I got a youngish sales girl and I said my vacuum just blew up just out of warranty and I wanted a Miele. She asked " Was it a Dyson ?" I said yes, thinking she was just guessing given their popularity. She said " I would never buy one of their products, they are over priced, poorly made and are realistically just a marketing company that has sucked in most of the population".

Wow, a well informed young lady
    But at least you didn't have to buy it dinner.

• The Following User Says Thank You to bob_m_54 For This Useful Post:

gulliver (27-02-21)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I have a Dyson, a Kirby and an old hoover wet and dry. Each is good at its respective tasks. The Kirby is used on my carpets the Dyson on the hard floors, the old Hoover is used for cleaning the verandah, cars, too sheds and any other crappy job. It matters not which one I use, each is good at the task I set it to.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Ah, topic of the day, a revived thread about vacuum cleaners

I too have seen Dysons in the rubbish, more specifically at curb side collections from the times when we still had them and nifty people could pick up stuff and repair/recycle goods rather than dumping everything in our overfilled land fill and now charging even more rates on top of the regular rate rise to bring it to another town's landfill. Our council is Dystopian in so many ways.

Back then I asked my wife if she wanted me to grab a couple of those old Dysons so I can make a 'new' one but she declined. She heard only bad about them.

Our attitude to vacuum cleaners is similar to Lsemmens here.

When I have a job that needs insane sucking power, talking about removing 30 years of dust from the internals of some apparatus that I want to fix and other really grubby stuff, then out comes my equally old (or older) AEG from Germany but it has no rotating brush, one of those floor things with a long hose that could suck the balls from an elephant.

Years ago I bought a Kirby from a garage sale for $5.
    Was more a vintage thing to do as it looked like from the 1960's and I collect all kinds of tech from that time.
    So I removed all the corrosion and polished it like mad. Ended up looking almost new.
    A new roll and rubber (this stuff is actually still available on Ebay) and it turned out to be our main vacuum until recently.

Only problem is my wife collects mats!
    They are all over the place and Kirby likes to eat them, despite the low power consumption it has.

About a year ago I took the risk to buy a Dyson-like clone from Aldi for $99, the last one they had.
    This is very small and light(no more lugging Kirby up the stairs) and the rolling brush works excellent and removes the white cat hair from the dark carpet areas almost as good as the Kirby.
    It has less suction but that is the point. The mats and rugs don't get stuck to it and rolled up like with the Kirby.
    It has a smaller head which increases the suction over the smaller surface area but that also means we can get everywhere, even under the table without removing the chairs and because it is so light you can move it twice as fast which compensates for the smaller area the head covers.
    Only disadvantage, it takes 6 hours to charge.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 27-02-21 at 02:32 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

gulliver (27-02-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks

the dyson we bought many years ago is still going strong but it is mains power not battery