Thread: Custom NUC wanted

Premium Member
    Thanks

Default Custom NUC wanted

Good evening from locked down Melbourne

I am after a custom built Intel NUC or mini PC for audio production as am looking for a Go To reputable company in Melbourne that is still open during stage 4 for online or one of the users here that does this as a business

I need this spec or better

i5 processor or greater
    16 gb ram
    Support 2 touch screens so 2 x HDMI ports supporting full hd spec
    Windows 10 loaded
    250gb or greater SSD
    Usb 3 x 2 at least
    Usb 2 x 2 at least
    Wired Ethernet Rj45 Port

Ideally in Melbourne to speed up process but if willing to ship to Melbourne that’s ok

Any suggestions appreciated

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,150 Times in 576 Posts

I've bought them from a company in Sydney called Mwave, who custom-build to whatever spec you want. Their prices are usually among the best around and I've found their customer service second to none (and I have no ties to the company except for being a long-time customer).

Andrew

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella237 View Post
    I've bought them from a company in Sydney called Mwave, who custom-build to whatever spec you want. Their prices are usually among the best around and I've found their customer service second to none (and I have no ties to the company except for being a long-time customer).

Andrew
    Thanks Andrew, will make contact with them today. At least if they are out of Melbourne they can still operate as normal I would guess :-)

Poor old Melbourne

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,508 Posts

Depends what 'audio production' actually entails, and what budget you're looking at. I used to build RT kernel DAWs ...and that said, no way could I talk myself into a NUC, considering I've got the alternative of AMD ryzen platform.

As said, depends on what level of audio production you're looking at, and what you want to do, but I'm supposing it's not a professional rig you're looking at, because you've put local availability before (unmentioned) required performance needs & budget....or what software you plan to use.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Depends what 'audio production' actually entails, and what budget you're looking at. I used to build RT kernel DAWs ...and that said, no way could I talk myself into a NUC, considering I've got the alternative of AMD ryzen platform.

As said, depends on what level of audio production you're looking at, and what you want to do, but I'm supposing it's not a professional rig you're looking at, because you've put local availability before (unmentioned) required performance needs & budget....or what software you plan to use.
    So to add to your above, this is to be used as a workstation with a Waves Extreme C Server to run Superrack and the appropriate plugins

According to the Waves Website the spec I quoted is what is required with the exception of me wanting to run Touch Screens which are common ways to control Superrack

cheers
    michael

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,508 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrtor View Post
    So to add to your above, this is to be used as a workstation with a Waves Extreme C Server to run Superrack and the appropriate plugins

According to the Waves Website the spec I quoted is what is required with the exception of me wanting to run Touch Screens which are common ways to control Superrack

cheers
    michael
    Thanks for the additional details, just had a bit of a quick read-up on SuperRack/Waves.

My gut probably thinks i5/16gb is 'minimum spec', but then I haven't used said software, and have no idea how resource hungry it is -- somehow my brain's thinking 32gb in ram, dual channel mode, just like you would for a 'decent' gaming machine.

In NUC, there's little gain in i7 over i5 ostensibly speaking...maybe 10% overall?...you'd have to wonder about that, on a bang for your buck scale.

Can't speak to mwave personally, but at a guess you'll still need to 'restrain' and 'sanitize' the win10 OS instance regardless of where/who you buy from. Companies involved in creating/making units like this...for example Rok Box (), apply a post-install script on the win10 instance, to automate the debloating process and applying the required registry hacks/settings to get win10 to STFU, stop interrupting you, and just behave like an operating system =) I'm pretty sure if you hunt about the net with google, you'll find some powershell scripts etc to DIY

Do you have any USB type-C requirements? NUCs are a bit lacking there... win10 as well ftm =)

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

mrtor (10-09-20)