Thread: UEC new decoder

Thanks

Default UEC new decoder

Anyone on the forum had the opportunity to test this new device?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Yes
    Never stand under a shadow that's getting bigger

Thanks

Great!
    What do you think of it? Is it an improvement on previous models...?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kabammi View Post
    Is it an improvement on previous models?
    On a sample size of 4, no.

#1 installed fine, #2 worked for 6 months before a smartcard failure, #3 installed fine, #4 was an OOB failure due to smartcard failure.

IMO the smartcard slot on the side is a piece of crap, if you're not careful with removing & reinserting the card, the box fails. #2 I fiddled with the smart card for about 10 minutes before it started to work again, that was 2 months ago, so fingers crossed. #4 was returned and exchanged with one that I'm guessing had a similar problem, there were a couple of tamper stickers on the box when returned & it is a different serial number.

I put a label with the smartcard number where the card is located & advise customers not to remove the card. I was already aware of this as a potential failure point as an associate who installs many of these had already given me a heads up on this issue.

I only used these as I had difficulty getting Satkings, which I now have a supply of again.

The old UEC's were fine, I have repaired many of them with capacitor failures, & they come up good. I've had a couple where the HDMI chip has failed, but the RCA outputs still work, so have just swapped that over for the customer to get them going again.

Thanks

Sorry for the confusion to all. I was asking about the NEW model. I believe the one AntennaMan is referring to is the last model (4921) which has been in service for over a year. UEC are responding to the 9800C decoder (now available). I have some issues with the design of the 4921 series. Mainly the lack of front panel display & a few other minor issues. The overall performance & reliability of the older 4921 seems good. It's performance is also fair. I have several out in the field so far without a single return. UEC now offer 2 year warranty.
    They just shot themselves in the foot by penny pinching without thinking of the end user or loyal retailers.
    Thanks for your replies.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Softek2 View Post
    I believe the one AntennaMan is referring to is the last model (4921) which has been in service for over a year.
    Yes, correct.

I'm living mostly under a rock now, so wasn't aware of a new model.

Thanks

FYI caught sight of the new 4921RV perhaps on Monday. "It does 5 things better" better than what I don't know. It does have some new features. I will type out my review info as time permits. Even UEC don't what they will call the new beast (might be 4921RV or SK). No idea of the cost retail or trade yet . I am led to believe it might be March before it is ready for release. My advice to everyone is don't hold your breath waiting for it. The old model is quite ok. Oh, almost forgot the new model will have 3 year warranty not 2 as the older version is.

Thanks

Hi, 4921RV is what I have on the way, but I wouldn’t know what was better about it, my last sat boxes being Humax and Tandberg both Std Def.
    The manual is available if no-one has noticed in the last couple of months. If someone now knows what the improvements were, pls enlighten me!

Does anything prevent someone inland registering a card for their home, and then giving the card and box to someone who lives on the coast
    (who would otherwise have had to do the six monthly travellers registration) ?
    It’s obviously not as intended, but not sure I’ve seen that explicitly forbidden anywhere as messing wiht the cards & CAM would be.

Thanks

Looks like is dead in here now 36 month warranty looks new for this model.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    Does anything prevent someone inland registering a card for their home, and then giving the card and box to someone who lives on the coast
    (who would otherwise have had to do the six monthly travellers registration) ?
    It’s obviously not as intended, but not sure I’ve seen that explicitly forbidden anywhere as messing wiht the cards & CAM would be.
    No, there's nothing preventing doing that (and VAST has no way of knowing).

The difference is that permanent VAST access to commercial channels is applied to a specific fixed address, which is proven to have no/very poor reception of FTA terrestrial TV.
    To relocate a permanent box/card, a new application for the new address must be made, which meets the access criteria foe commercial channels.

The other is a traveller's registration, which needs to be renewed every 6 months and obviously, is permitted to be relocated.

Thanks

Yeah I did the traveller activation just out of impatience, but a permanent Qld one would be nicer.
    I worry about forgetting to register in six months time and finding out it doesn’t work on a trip with no internet access either.

Do these VAST boxes deliberately block out any unencrypted FTA?
    Last time I connected a decoder with no CAM was some years ago, and Foxtel were giving away ABC, Al Jazera, and some radio channels.
    I can’t see those now. I suppose a blind scanning decoder is less than $100, but it would be nice to have ay other FTA that might exist on the same decoder.

It’s also possible they are encrypted now.
    I can’t remember if you are supposed to see the channel list for Foxtel even if you can’t decode it.

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    No, there's nothing preventing doing that (and VAST has no way of knowing).

The difference is that permanent VAST access to commercial channels is applied to a specific fixed address, which is proven to have no/very poor reception of FTA terrestrial TV.
    To relocate a permanent box/card, a new application for the new address must be made, which meets the access criteria foe commercial channels.

The other is a traveller's registration, which needs to be renewed every 6 months and obviously, is permitted to be relocated.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

You can only receive VAST channels on a VAST box... nothing else, and only those VAST commercial channels for the region your decoder is authorised to decode.

You can view all ABC and SBS region channels on VAST.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Johnno (17-11-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

Yeah I did the traveller activation just out of impatience, but a permanent Qld one would be nicer.
    Do these VAST boxes deliberately block out any unencrypted FTA?
    Yep that's exactly what they do, which is a shame as I'd like to be able to add the extra channels.

Last time I connected a decoder with no CAM was some years ago, and Foxtel were giving away ABC, Al Jazera, and some radio channels.
    I can’t see those now.
    It’s also possible they are encrypted now.
    They're still there. The ABC radios and some ABC TV channels have recently been scrapped, but the main ones still remain. SBS used to be free-to-air as well but became encrypted around the time of Food Network launching. See the current list of the free TV channels here:

I can’t remember if you are supposed to see the channel list for Foxtel even if you can’t decode it.
    Yep everything scans in on a FTA decoder.
    Last edited by Smacca; 17-11-20 at 02:35 AM.

| www.SatTVGuide.com.au |

Volunteer, non-profit online TV guides for VAST viewers.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Smacca For This Useful Post:

Johnno (17-11-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 580 Posts

Optus C1/D3 FTA Satellite - 9 Channels Only. Occasionally, I like to watch Al Jazera. Any FTA decoder will scan them.

Thanks

What size internal HDD does the UEC DSD4921RV use 2.5 or 3.5

thanks

Thanks

I’ve opened mine, and for the non-PVR version there’s no mounting footprint or connector.. it must be a different PCB.
    If you have the PVR version, I can’t see how they’d fit a 3.5 in there, but can’t be absolutely sure.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Art For This Useful Post:

RedXT (13-12-20)