Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gladys in strife

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,964 Times in 9,060 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    When did journalists lose their integrity and stop reporting the news and start influencing our perceptions?

Did this happen suddenly or has it been a gradual thing?

I remember when I was in the public service I had to sign an agreement not to criticise the government etc.

Seems the abc aren't a party to any such thing.

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk
    Hmmmm....I am 10 years older that you Hoe, and I don't ever remember signing anything like that in my several stints as a public servant dating back to 72. Were you in a state service? That could be different.

I did have to agree to provide "fearless and frank" advice regardless of which government was in power...

As to your question, I think it gradually crept in as the need for ratings became paramount in their thinking...this resulted in inaccuracy and laziness. Now, they are so contemptuous of their audience that they just lie. But as long as you know you can live with it.

However, at the ABC they are subject to a charter that specifically requires politically balanced journalism. This they ignore completely IMO. Can anyone (allover perhaps) name a single even mildly conservative reporter/journalist/panelist/luminary employed by the ABC?

Guests that get abused on Q & A don't count.....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Enf, nobody forces you to listen/read/watch ABC.
    From your discussion with allover I see you get upset about left biased media but right biased is OK.

I am happy to see a tiny bit of my tax go towards ABC's useful services that you appear to be totally ignorant of.

ABC is not even a news paper.
    They are a TV channel that offers a lot of British content that you can rarely see elsewhere.
    They have radio stations for Classical music and Independent music that again no one else supplies as probably commercial stations don't think they can earn enough with with that content.
    You might hate ABC but I hate all the commercial bullshit.

They have a news section on their website that apparently pisses you off but I rarely find info there that I could not verify elsewhere.
    All media sites post opinions and ABC marks them as such.

IMO ABC is worth the tiny bit of money they still get after all the cuts because they do offer content that is hard to find elsewhere.
    The bogus cuts...sigh! I think they get more this year than last, but I'd have to look that up.

I don't "hate" the ABC, I try in life not to hate anything. I just see it for the taxpayer funded bulsh!t machine that it is. And they ARE like a newspaper in their news and current affairs division. I DO resent paying for it.

Oh, and I almost always mention the commercial media as well who are NOT funded in any way by me, so I don't care WHAT they blather about .... don't be loose with the truth on that matter mate!
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

george65 (15-10-20)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Uncle Fester, you are wasting your time trying to be evened handed, I must admit i baited ENF to respond in my original post, which you can see the results but i think it has gone over the top, so apologise to all and sundry
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    When did journalists lose their integrity and stop reporting the news and start influencing our perceptions?

Did this happen suddenly or has it been a gradual thing?
    Look to the 'teachers' @ what used to be called places of higher learning

Journalism, as taught @ uni these days (or for the past 30 years) is not just about reporting the news/current affairs etc, its about becoming an activist/journalist (with the emphasis on activism)..........indoctrinating the un-washed into believing what they themselves have been taught @ uni

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alpha0ne For This Useful Post:

eaglem (16-10-20),george65 (15-10-20),lsemmens (15-10-20)

Thanks

Meanwhile Gladys is still hanging in there. I wonder for how long?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RogerTheDoger View Post
    Meanwhile Gladys is still hanging in there. I wonder for how long?
    I haven't read what her squeeze has been saying....I think it hinges on that.

I still think she should resign for violating her own standards of conduct even if she didn't actually do anything wrong on the other front.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

Keith (16-10-20),RogerTheDoger (15-10-20)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by allover View Post
    Uncle Fester, you are wasting your time trying to be evened handed, I must admit i baited ENF to respond in my original post, which you can see the results but i think it has gone over the top, so apologise to all and sundry
    A single mildly conservatively minded commentator employed by the ABC with their taxpayer money...not much to ask is it?.............

They are unbiased after all, aren't they?

Premium Member

Thanks

Ooh geez, give up

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post

They are unbiased after all, aren't they?
    According to some... well one anyway. Also apparently same people/ person also thinks the media is very honest and reliable.......

Koolaide anyone?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Ooh geez, give up
    Oh Hell...........very disappointing and sad allover, especially since you started this little teetatee.

Can't be hard for an unbiased organisation to employ someone to provide a balanced, even mildly contrasting point of view can it?

Just one....one!

Premium Member

Thanks

HUH, seems like some person or people are trying to pin me to a particular point of view, sorry to disappoint you i don't have one! and cannot see where i have said it, lucky no one reads this sh1t
    All organisations are biased to a particular point of view
    Hold on got James Packer ringing me, whats that James you think the organisation you were a director of is biased, my god, would never had known
    This just like old times where a senior person who ran the post would go on and on until that person wore the other person down, glad things haven't changed!
    ps the Herald-Sun that i purchased today, no Dan bashing until Geoff Kennetts article page 29, Gladys is mentioned page 27 by Andrew Bolt of all people 350 x 50mm. Balanced reporting at its best. This not opinion this is fact
    Any way oiff to bed, have to work tomorrow so will b e too busy to be bored

Thanks

What should I do if I have an opinion based on my own experience, observation and analysis of information delivered by differently biased sources?
    And what should I do if my opinion is mainly matching one side?

You can call me biased too for making my mind, I can only say it is sad some people cannot see the truth in what they are being fed. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and there is only one way to go forward - civilized discussion.

Going back to Gladys discussion - she can be wrong or right. You can believe she is honest or lying but to discuss her private life in the way some people did is less then appropriate.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

HUH, seems like some person or people are trying to pin me to a particular point of view, sorry to disappoint you i don't have one! and cannot see where i have said it, lucky no one reads this sh1t
    All organisations are biased to a particular point of view
    Hold on got James Packer ringing me, whats that James you think the organisation you were a director of is biased, my god, would never had known
    This just like old times where a senior person who ran the post would go on and on until that person wore the other person down, glad things haven't changed!
    ps the Herald-Sun that i purchased today, no Dan bashing until Geoff Kennetts article page 29, Gladys is mentioned page 27 by Andrew Bolt of all people 350 x 50mm. Balanced reporting at its best. This not opinion this is fact
    Any way oiff to bed, have to work tomorrow so will b e too busy to be bored
    If you can't or won't understand the difference between public funding and private funding for bias then we'll just let it drop then....

You have a good night...

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fromaron View Post
    What should I do if I have an opinion based on my own experience, observation and analysis of information delivered by differently biased sources?
    And what should I do if my opinion is mainly matching one side?

You can call me biased too for making my mind, I can only say it is sad some people cannot see the truth in what they are being fed. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and there is only one way to go forward - civilized discussion.
    I totally agree with those sentiments.

Going back to Gladys discussion - she can be wrong or right. You can believe she is honest or lying but to discuss her private life in the way some people did is less then appropriate.
    A person's private life should be exactly that ...PRIVATE!

Yes, even politicians have a right to live a private life and Gladys B. is no exception.

I suggest that some people get more than a little titillation from reading, hearing and discussing/criticising such things.

Everybody has something in their past that they would prefer to keep from general knowledge, but some here seem to enjoy bashing those who are caught out.

The self-righteous should mind their wagging tongues.

A reading of Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice would not go astray. In particular Portia's speech in Act-IV, Scene-I.

If you don't know what she (Portia) said, look it up.

Enough is enough.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (16-10-20),lsemmens (16-10-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

I agree with the idea of a private life but I think the thing here is the private and professional lives -MAY- have been mixed and that's the problem. No one would have cared if she wasn't sleeping with another Pollie, or probably not even one that is of questionable dealings. It's the fact that the 2 May have mingled that's the problem for her.

The other problem is whether she did anything wrong or not, it's another case of not all the shit thrown will ever wash off especially when it's politics and and they will make 10 times as much shit up to throw than what was actually there to start with.

I'm surprised she was able to keep this secret but that's probably a relative thing. Surely her own staff and plenty in the media would have known.
    I don't think she was quite prepared for the media to be camped out in her driveway the other morning when she came out with a bit of toast in her hand. She started her day on the front door step.

Thanks

No problem with a politician having a private life, however in this case when two politicians are shacked up together and one has been breaking the law, and that results in that politician getting sacked from parliament, and the other one still keeps up the relationship while being the person who did the sacking, something smells not quite right.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RogerTheDoger View Post
    No problem with a politician having a private life, however in this case when two politicians are shacked up together and one has been breaking the law, and that results in that politician getting sacked from parliament, and the other one still keeps up the relationship while being the person who did the sacking, something smells not quite right.
    yeah , besides its guilt by association in my opinion.... similar to a scenario when you are in a car with a drug dealer , and the car gets pulled over by the cops. You could be squeaky clean but the cops will still treat you as if you were also a dealer. So if that applies on the street it should also apply to pollies.

Thanks

You guys missed my point. Gladys was in relationship with another guy and that is what should be all we can say about this relationship. Go back and see what some people in this discussion posted - they should be ashamed and should learn to behave.

It is not a problem accusing Gladys in mixing her private life with professional if you have facts and happy to present them in support of your accusation. Otherwise it is just childish whining.
    Last edited by fromaron; 16-10-20 at 12:48 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fromaron For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (16-10-20),tristen (16-10-20)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I agree with Tristens POV. Politicians are a special breed, not because of their politics, but because of the scrutiny on EVERY area of their life 24/7 EVERY day of the year. Realy! Who in their right mind would volunteer for that? It matters not where your allegiances lie, that sort of pressure and scrutiny is always going to have an effect. IMO politicians do not get paid enough!

If I were the CEO of a company, I'd get to make my decisions and live, or die, by them without everyone picking holes in them and airing my dirty linen in public. Regardless of whether I have made them public or not, I could also take a holiday without being criticised for doing it. My job is also relatively secure unless I stuff up BIG TIME, rather than being at the whim of a group of people who have little idea what my job entails but get to decide every three years or so.

Pollies can't even take a crap without someone reporting on it. They do get paid better than the average Joe, but, considering they are running a "company" with a budget and "workforce" many times larger than most CEO's they get paid a pittance for doing so. I could rant on like this for hours, but I shall leave the rest to your own imagination.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

tristen (16-10-20)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Here we go, leaking of private information as part of the assassination process....ICACs, always the same....and they are forced to apologise.

• Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast