Brother in law asked me to upgrade his old W7 Toshiba Satellite to W10. No prob (I thought). Upgrade seemed to run seamlessly until the first boot of W10 where it failed and signaled incompatible drivers. It then rolled back to the initial W7 install but with a difference. The W7 was now NOT ACTIVATED. Looking at his documentation it becomes clear that the system was originally a Vista system which had a problem in 2015 and sent to a repairer in Mackay QLD. Documentation from there indicates they obtained a Vista recovery disc from Toshiba but it didn't work so they upgraded it to W7. They did not supply a product key with the upgrade. I have the Vista recovery disc but I don't think I can go from Vista to W10. It now seems to me the W7 used was bodgie. I can not now activate it to try the upgrade again. I still have the option of a clean install of W10 but of course that means loss of old apps and their data. Can buy a 3rd party W7 activation key online but again can it be trusted and can I activate an unsupported W7. Any suggestion would be appreciated. Brother in law is not particularly computer literate so trying to get him into newer hardware isn't an option either.