Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is Formula One dead or dying

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 580 Posts

This thread reminds me of this... go on.. click on the link and press play.. Everyone loves Monty Python

Last edited by Johnno; 20-10-20 at 10:25 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnno For This Useful Post:

allover (21-10-20),hinekadon (21-10-20)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Considering this thread has drifted so far from the OP, maybe it's time the Mods closed it down.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

Formula one is Dead? Whats Formula one?

Ive watched F1 from the late 60s, right up until the V6s of the current era came into play religiously, to the extent of driving to Adelaide from Melbourne in the 80s to watch the races.

They have lost the plot, its been down hill from the late 80s, 90s were OKish with the V12 and V10 era, V8s were bearable, but V6s and they lost me.

F1 was supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsport, it was about deadly cars, drivers with skill and the balls to control them, F1 was a spectacle, the sounds and speeds were designed to shock your senses.

This current generation is so toned down its a joke.

V8 Supercars headed in a similar direction, 2 main makes controlled by rules that ended up with cars that if you removed the skin, ended up being the same suspension, gearbox and diffs, just different power plants and body shells.

These days the only Bathurst worth watching is the 12 hour, little 4 cylinder production show room cars battling on the same track as exotics.

Hang on a minute, the OLD bathurst use be be that way too up until they banned Godzilla........

What the rule makers are forgetting is that the public want to see entertainment, they want their senses shocked, they want to sit their watching with their jaws on the ground.

They want the cars to make noise, change the rules to open the doors to more brands, the public want more makes, the public want to see more risk being taken by drivers.

Regarding electric cars racing, ive always known that electric cars would be quicker from the moment i heard that max torque comes from zero RPM.

Ive watched a few Formula E races, i thoroughly enjoyed them, again something different, they have their place.

But stop toning down motorsports, stop sandbagging certain makes to slow them down in the interest of making racing closer, if your quick your quick, mix slow cars with fast cars and above all dont let the soul out of the sounds and spectacle.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (25-10-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post

But stop toning down motorsports, stop sandbagging certain makes to slow them down in the interest of making racing closer, if your quick your quick, mix slow cars with fast cars and above all don't let the soul out of the sounds and spectacle.
    I agree.
    It's just an advertising parade now. Innovation and development has been stifled because the minute you do anything to go faster, they ban it or make you carry extra weight to slow you down again. That's if you are allowed to change or improve anything in the first place which is rare. It is a joke.
    Most racing now is a fuel economy run. Not about going fast, it's about keeping going to the next fuel stop or not wearing your Tyres out too fast because you are limited in how many sets you can have.
    BORING!

I too miss the days of Bathurst when you had Minis doing battle with GT's and everything in between. You could see the different strengths in each vehicle and there was real skill involved as well. Some of the engineering things they did was brilliant and out of the box but now, everything is regulated and controlled and everyone is using the same parts and setup. It's like AFX slot cars, all the same car with a different body.

Even drag racing has suffered the same sort of Nanny mentality. They shortened the track length in the US because cars were going too fast. Umm, hello, it's a Fking race, going fast is the whole idea. They say they want to make it safer. Motor racing is an inherently dangerous sport. If the risks are too much, take up chess or lawn Bowls where you can wrap yourself in cotton wool. Car are getting safer all the time and there are things now that weren't thought of 10 years ago.

I have said for about 20 years I'd like to see an F1 Demonstration car that was built to go fast. Fans, active aero and suspension, whatever driver aids.... Something to do a few demonstration laps before a race to show what the technology could be. Whatever it takes to get that car round the track in the fastest possible time.

Would obviously show the current cars up too much and really make people see how limp wristed it's all become.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

oh and some Lewis chap just got pole again....

• Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123