Thread: Ebay fee advice

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Default Ebay fee advice

Recently had DJ gear advertised on Ebay for my son
    Had the item listed as Pick Up Only, of course every one replies that they would buy it but there car has broken down or they will get a Uber Taxi to pick it up, butt few genuine offers
    Item listed as $3000, ono
    Thought the item would be listed for 3 months but noted it went on for 12 months
    Anyways, long story short get a bill for $300 from Ebay, they could not deduct the amount as the previous card had been replaced
    The question, what is my responsibility, i was under the impression you were not charged unless item sold!
    Just would like to know my position in this matter
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Their fees and conditions change regularly especially with special offers and the like. You would have to see what the fee structure was at the time you listed I'd say.
    I take it the items eventually sold? This would probably threfore not be a listing fee but a final value fee. I think 11% is the current fee for a lot of things so that would add up if you got 3K for it.
    If it's just listing fees, you may have something to argue if they didn't send you accounts of the accruing fees although if it was based on what the item was listed for wether it was sold or not....

The fees are why I don't sell anything On Fleabag. I have had success with Dumbtree which fleabay own.
    You get plenty of flakes, no shows and lowballers but from what you are saying, fleabay is no different or better. Also sold some stuff on that Faceache Marketplace. That was OK, much the same as dumbtree. Neighbour sells heaps of stuff on it but it does seem a bit open to scamming with changing the listings etc.

See what the fee is actually for specifically, listing or final value and you can go from there.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,972 Times in 1,529 Posts

Dig & read, don't gloss over anything ~ ebay are extremely adept at the art of obfuscation

However, if it sold for $3000 your bill would be correct

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

No, item not sold, although some one offered $3000 BUT wanted to send an Uber to pick items up (as if!) did not respond.
    I'm thinking that Ebay saw the offer and considered item sold, but did not see my terms and conditions, pick up only!!
    Was trying to avoid the old send item and the customer then claiming not as described scam that some one on this site alerted members about
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,972 Times in 1,529 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by allover View Post
    No, item not sold, although some one offered $3000 BUT wanted to send an Uber to pick items up (as if!) did not respond.
    I'm thinking that Ebay saw the offer and considered item sold, but did not see my terms and conditions, pick up only!!
    Was trying to avoid the old send item and the customer then claiming not as described scam that some one on this site alerted members about
    Ahh, their bad then ~ you'd need prove/satisfy them the item didn't sell ~ I'd go ebay chat portal with this one -- (bottom of page)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by allover View Post
    Another reason I prefer Dumbtree. Postage is rare and not expected on that site.
    I would neither buy nor sell something I wasn't prepared to loose out on by postage.

Couldn't count how many times I have not heard back from buyers or sellers when I insisted on pick up, them or me.

Sold a stove last year which a " Friend" came and collected. Got the friend to inspect it, ring buyer and buyer send me a text message saying he was satisfied with the condition of the item and would take it with any and all faults if any. Don't know gumtree have any buyer protection but fair trading do and I wasn't going to loose out on $1300 or go through a lot of shit over it.

As it was they rang me back and said a pot holder was missing and was it here? I said no it was with it and they subsequently found it in the car the next day. Had it fallen out and they kicked it in a drain, my arse was covered at least.

The other common one is sellers supposedly being in the armed forces or some other occupation where they advertise an item but then are supposedly in the back of whoop whoop and going to send it. Camera gear is a popular front for this because it's high value and reasonably compact so postage is entirely Viable.
    When they tell me they are in Oonadatta or Broome, I say that's great, my brother is a truck driver and goes through there all the time. He'll be there day after tomorrow actually. I'll get him to grab the cash for you and he can collect it in person save you going to the post office. What's your address?

That would be a good thing for a seller right but for some reason I can't begin to fathom, ( much) NONE of these sellers over the years have ever got back to me.

One cannot be too careful.