Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Should Australia build dedicated quarantine stations?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    RogerTheDoger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    State of Despair
    Posts
    236
    Thanks
    87
    Thanked 235 Times in 93 Posts
    Rep Power
    118
    Reputation
    4864

    Default Should Australia build dedicated quarantine stations?

    I believe that Covid will probably be with us for quite some time. The fact that tests on many recovered victims often show few antibodies, coupled with the fact that there are documented cases of second infections, suggest that the development of a successful vaccine may be unlikely.

    Australia has previously had a good income from tourism and from international students. However while we may be bringing Covid under control in this country, that is not the case in many other countries. The suggest that our international borders may stay closed for a long time.

    To re-establish our international tourism and and international education income, the border need to open and people have to come here from other countries, and the chances are that at least some of those countries may well have active Covid cases.

    I believe the use of hotels in our cities as quarantine stations presents a high risk to our country as a whole, just look how Covid got out in Victoria via security guards. Even using Police or the Army, as happened in other places could have resulted in release of the infection into the general community, we were probably just lucky in other places.

    My thoughts are that dedicated quarantine stations should be built adjacent to international airports. Most airports are surrounded by large open areas, perhaps this could be used to construct quarantine stations, in the style of mining camps, (dongas or similar) together with a medical wing for testing, isolation and treatment, if necessary. These quarantine camps will need to be built away from runways, perhaps along the sides of the airports but away from the populated areas.

    These will cost money, but perhaps some of the money the government are saying they will use to stimulate the economy could be used to do this, giving by employment to construction workers and manufacturers of building materials.

    Just my small contribution to the discussions here. What are your thoughts on this? We need to get the economy working without the risk of more shutdowns and more illness and death. How could this be achieved, are there alternatives?



Look Here ->
  • #2
    Premium Member
    hinekadon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    still above ground level
    Posts
    1,529
    Thanks
    4,250
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 611 Posts
    Rep Power
    689
    Reputation
    29577

    Default

    Roger dont you think that you are getting away from the purpose of this forum ?ITS CALLED AUSTECH? that means its a technical forum for the purposes of holding discussions of a technical nature !!! how the bloody hell can you relate politics viruses and crap that you post to be regarded as Technical I have not seen you do anything else but piss other members off with this crap which Im my opinion is not technical and does not belong here , your comments belong on faceache
    "I can't believe you believe that bullshit!"

  • #3
    Super Moderator
    enf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Age
    66
    Posts
    15,149
    Thanks
    13,778
    Thanked 24,933 Times in 7,050 Posts
    Rep Power
    9539
    Reputation
    443869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hinekadon View Post
    Roger dont you think that you are getting away from the purpose of this forum ?ITS CALLED AUSTECH? that means its a technical forum for the purposes of holding discussions of a technical nature !!! how the bloody hell can you relate politics viruses and crap that you post to be regarded as Technical I have not seen you do anything else but piss other members off with this crap which Im my opinion is not technical and does not belong here , your comments belong on faceache
    Alright....look, I personally have no problem with Roger posting in General Chat alone if that is his thing. Lets not go over the top here. The only thing that won't be tolerated is open abuse.

    The forum as a whole isn't about football either. I think a few, well maybe more than a few, of his topics are ridiculous at times....but I don't think we need to bother ourselves over them. If you don't like the topic, say so or just ignore them.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

  • The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

    alpha0ne (29-10-20),eaglem (29-10-20),fromaron (29-10-20),gulliver (29-10-20),lsemmens (01-11-20),mtv (29-10-20),Tiny (29-10-20),tristen (29-10-20)

  • #4
    Administrator
    mtv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    18,426
    Thanks
    5,501
    Thanked 12,174 Times in 5,980 Posts
    Rep Power
    4363
    Reputation
    179799

    Default

    I think we'd be hard-pushed to find ANY technical subject in General Chat, which is why we have dedicated sections.

    Nobody is forced to read any topics or to participate in them.

    We all have a choice.

  • The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

    enf (29-10-20),lsemmens (01-11-20),tristen (29-10-20),wotnot (29-10-20)

  • #5
    Super Moderator
    enf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Age
    66
    Posts
    15,149
    Thanks
    13,778
    Thanked 24,933 Times in 7,050 Posts
    Rep Power
    9539
    Reputation
    443869

    Default

    As to the topic. Yeah, but there will be bitching as to where (Sigh! Even Wokedanistan)...how luxurious...how expensive...somewhine will always be dissatisfied...

    Near airports? Near ports? There's a lot of points of entry.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

  • The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

    wotnot (29-10-20)

  • #6
    Senior Member
    fromaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,972
    Thanks
    189
    Thanked 570 Times in 303 Posts
    Rep Power
    372
    Reputation
    7525

    Default

    Great topic, LOL. Create a replica of Australia and open it only to the infected foreigners

    Like with other pandemics the virus will mutate and even without proper vaccine it will get weaker at some point. It is a natural selection process - virus needs a host to survive. Killing the host will kill the virus itself. Therefore only weaker strains which won't cause death of the host will survive and continue their existence. I estimate tourism will not fully recover until 2022.

  • 29-10-20, 02:08 PM

    Reason
    Off Topic

  • #7
    Premium Member
    Mr 672A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Posts
    3,907
    Thanks
    1,166
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 674 Posts
    Rep Power
    651
    Reputation
    20905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fromaron View Post
    Great topic, LOL. Create a replica of Australia and open it only to the infected foreigners

    Like with other pandemics the virus will mutate and even without proper vaccine it will get weaker at some point. It is a natural selection process - virus needs a host to survive. Killing the host will kill the virus itself. Therefore only weaker strains which won't cause death of the host will survive and continue their existence. I estimate tourism will not fully recover until 2022.
    I can see whenever a person come in this country "eg" tourist or other they must quarantine for 14 days or more and IF any says F.ck that they should be BOOTED OUT OF THE COUNTRY
    Not responsible for any post written after the 28/10/2014. My pet hate, Corrupt Politicians, Corrupt Legal System + a legal system Australia wide that does not allow you to sue a Solicitor or Barrister for Professional Negligence (as Stated by the Law Society and prominent Lawyers) and Corrupt Cops. Not necessarily in this order. Please Note Lawyers are PROTECTED SPECIES IN THIS COUNTRY, PROTECTED FROM THEIR F..K UPS

  • #8
    Premium Member
    wotnot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    1,151
    Thanks
    444
    Thanked 888 Times in 503 Posts
    Rep Power
    406
    Reputation
    17770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    As to the topic. Yeah, but there will be bitching as to where (Sigh! Even Wokedanistan)...how luxurious...how expensive...somewhine will always be dissatisfied...

    Near airports? Near ports? There's a lot of points of entry.
    I don't even want to imagine it, but if you can -- what volume of people are we talking here, to as you point out, exactly how many points of entry? Transporting them how far, from arrival point to what quarantine facilities that don't really exist for this purpose, and who exactly is going to service these quarantines and take care of those in their charge, and like you say someone has a social media whine about it declaring 'aussies treated us like shit during quarantine...how dare they!', and this'll fuel another investigation months later when the shit hits the fan and results in an outbreak...wait a minute --- they're detecting this virus by testing sewage ; what, said quarantine needs to use toilets isolated from the main sewer system?

    Apart from appearing this would eat substantial amounts of money, you'd have to worry about the potential risk of it enabling spreading of the virus ; as I've said before in a thread, only 4% of state GDP here in Qld comes from tourism, (and half of that is from export sales of merch), and considering that's the case, weighed up against the potential risk and cost of providing/running quarantine facilities...nah, not worth it ; wait for a possible vaccine then open the doors. I know that will hurt some, my daughter has a shop on the GCoast and feels the pinch of tourism being down etc etc, but she'd rather that than end up seeing an outbreak that effects her daughters, friends or family, which results in a lockdown which directly hits all her shop's >local< business (which is keeping her afloat at the moment) - it rubs both ways.
    Last edited by wotnot; 29-10-20 at 03:18 PM.

  • The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

    enf (30-10-20)

  • #9
    Senior Member
    Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Posts
    5,296
    Thanks
    1,746
    Thanked 3,454 Times in 1,971 Posts
    Rep Power
    1584
    Reputation
    62578

    Default

    I think we should and allow people from all infected countries come here to do their business so we can keep the economy growing if they are willing to endure the two weeks disinfection stage.
    These quarantine stations can be much better to control and manage than the dodgy hotel setups.
    The question is who should pay for this and we also need to evaluate if the cost outweighs the benefit first and a vetting procedure must be in place that ensures that those who come here are actually spending here or contributing to our growth and development. I am talking about skilled workers, scientists, IT specialist, medics, etc that we are lacking because everybody here seems to be only interested in studying art, sport science and low level teaching.

    On the topic of mutation, this Covid is showing an unusually high mutation rate that seem to puzzle many. We can actually trace it based on it's strain. There is no way of saying that it will get weaker or stronger as it mutates but what is going on in the northern hemisphere right now, it is definitely not getting weaker, so mutations are likely to accelerate.
    I know a lot of BS is being reported but it seems for some to have lasting after effects, now even neurological.
    Pretty scary stuff.
    Those who are not taking this seriously are very stupid.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 29-10-20 at 11:38 PM.
    This era of thoughtless consumption must end so we can encourage a world of creative geniuses rather than consumer idiots.


  • The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

    enf (30-10-20),hinekadon (30-10-20),tristen (30-10-20)

  • #10
    Premium Member
    LeroyPatrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    N.E. Vic
    Posts
    16,138
    Thanks
    3,490
    Thanked 4,633 Times in 2,754 Posts
    Rep Power
    1595
    Reputation
    45011

    Default

    yes it's mutating into more virulent strains and this is how it's apparently being tracked. I'll be surprised if they come up with a vaccine anytime soon. Quarantine is the only way to deal with it at the moment.

  • The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

    Johnno (30-10-20)

  • #11
    Senior Member
    Johnno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Dark Side of the Moon
    Posts
    834
    Thanks
    988
    Thanked 1,636 Times in 397 Posts
    Rep Power
    838
    Reputation
    32731

    Default

    Every nation in the world has it's own citizens back in it's country and all the foreigners have been sent home... keep it that way. until a vaccine is available. IMO

  • #12
    Premium Member
    LeroyPatrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    N.E. Vic
    Posts
    16,138
    Thanks
    3,490
    Thanked 4,633 Times in 2,754 Posts
    Rep Power
    1595
    Reputation
    45011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnno View Post
    Every nation in the world has it's own citizens back in it's country and all the foreigners have been sent home... keep it that way. until a vaccine is available. IMO
    We don't. There are heaps of Aussies stranded around the world still.

  • #13
    Senior Member
    Johnno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Dark Side of the Moon
    Posts
    834
    Thanks
    988
    Thanked 1,636 Times in 397 Posts
    Rep Power
    838
    Reputation
    32731

    Default

    Yeah, I know.. 10-20k that didn't WANT to come home when they were told..For whatever reason they choose to stay overseas.
    Now they're crying HELP at the Taxpayers expense. They will be home by Xmas from what I've heard.
    Last edited by Johnno; 30-10-20 at 01:37 PM.

  • #14
    Super Moderator
    enf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Age
    66
    Posts
    15,149
    Thanks
    13,778
    Thanked 24,933 Times in 7,050 Posts
    Rep Power
    9539
    Reputation
    443869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnno View Post
    Yeah, I know.. 10-20k that didn't WANT to come home when they were told.........................................
    Plus the ones that went anyway when advised not to. Sympathy limited I'm afraid.

    And the unis want Chinese students back....FFS.

    As Fester said, provide some REAL education to Australians, not arts degrees....

    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

  • The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

    Johnno (30-10-20),wotnot (30-10-20)

  • #15
    Premium Member
    Mr 672A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Posts
    3,907
    Thanks
    1,166
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 674 Posts
    Rep Power
    651
    Reputation
    20905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Plus the ones that went anyway when advised not to. Sympathy limited I'm afraid.

    And the unis want Chinese students back....FFS.

    As Fester said, provide some REAL education to Australians, not arts degrees....

    What I have said all the time. Any arts degrees are just plan bullshit degree. Why not do some Engineering Degrees or anything else that is needed. Arts WTF that ABC degrees because the ABC like them.
    Not responsible for any post written after the 28/10/2014. My pet hate, Corrupt Politicians, Corrupt Legal System + a legal system Australia wide that does not allow you to sue a Solicitor or Barrister for Professional Negligence (as Stated by the Law Society and prominent Lawyers) and Corrupt Cops. Not necessarily in this order. Please Note Lawyers are PROTECTED SPECIES IN THIS COUNTRY, PROTECTED FROM THEIR F..K UPS

  • #16
    Super Moderator
    enf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Age
    66
    Posts
    15,149
    Thanks
    13,778
    Thanked 24,933 Times in 7,050 Posts
    Rep Power
    9539
    Reputation
    443869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    What I have said all the time. Any arts degrees are just plan bullshit degree. Why not do some Engineering Degrees or anything else that is needed. Arts WTF that ABC degrees because the ABC like them.
    The ABC likes them because it can portray them as "education". Such an education is nothing more than a burden on the taxpayer, something the ABC news and current affairs division understands oh so well....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

  • Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •