Thread: Gas fired generation

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Default Gas fired generation

Found this article interesting regarding gas generators as it confirms Alan Finkels take on gas peakers
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,508 Posts

Hmmm.... one sentence in that report reads - ", whereas coal emits carbon dioxide when combusted."

That is non-sequitur ; when you burn (combust) methane with sufficient oxygen, your byproducts are CO2 + water ; sure, coal produces more CO2 when combusted, but clearly a journalist wrote this misleading crap, and not a scientist.

If I see one horrendously constructed sentence like that, I close the window =)

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

This green energy pushing is a load of shut.

I have just organized a 6.6 KW solar system. I looked at a 9.9 KW but the sales person told me that my provider (SP AusNet) will not allow export over a certain limit so any excess solar production needs to limited.

Enter the “Export limiter”. Nothing but a large resistor to burn the excess solar production!!!

Green when there is a profit, wasteful if there isn’t!

Can’t wait till batteries are affordable then I will get a shit load and tell them to remove their power line from my property!!!
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post

If I see one horrendously constructed sentence like that, I close the window =)
    You g0t further than me!!
    I saw " Adam Bandt" and went no further. That guy is a sniveling fktard of the very highest order and not worth a second of my time. Finkel is another arse clown who's ideas and modeling has been proven well and truly flawed over and over again. For a chief scientist, he should be able to put forward a lot more creditable arguments than he has although on this issue, he's right in that we need gas to take up the slack from unreliable given how hell bent people like him are on the whole RE crap.

Enter the “Export limiter”. Nothing but a large resistor to burn the excess solar production!!!

No, it's nothing like a large resistor.
    The benefit of having a larger system is because you have more power to use in your home while still getting the benefit of the full 5 Kw export limit FIT.
    With some intelligent management of power usage, one can shift larger loads like water heating to daytime use and still be earning the full credit to offset Night time consumption. Although the initial investment can be higher, in appropriate cases the ROI can be a lot faster especially if one is able to get checks from their power provider instead of Bills.

Can’t wait till batteries are affordable then I will get a shit load and tell them to remove their power line from my property!!!
    Batteries are affordable now. If one's idea is to have a nil bill, that also is possible and without batteries. Lots of people are also off grid. Again affordable and far from uncommon.

It would be best to do a bit more research and homework before proving ones ignorance on things.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by porkop View Post

With the installation of an additional meter to measure your consumption most inverters can be configured to limit export in real time. There is no loss the inverter just reduces its output so as to not exceed the export limit.
    Don't worry, it only seems kinky the first time.

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    With the installation of an additional meter to measure your consumption most inverters can be configured to limit export in real time. There is no loss the inverter just reduces its output so as to not exceed the export limit.
    It's still counter productive and wasteful
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by porkop View Post
    It's still counter productive and wasteful

You still don't get it.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,228 Times in 1,451 Posts

"Adam Bandt is just as dirty as coal."
    Adam's politics precede his science. If the science doesn't agree with is politics, then he denounces science.
    The Greens are masters of environmental Lysenkovism.
    A good combination of nuclear and renewables competing on a level playing field against coal, gas and oil with a flat rate carbon to will keep them competitive. The greens are not interested in meeting emissions targets, they re only interested in meeting their targets, which are the destruction of any industry that creates compounding wealth.

Not sure what you're waiting for Porkop? I've been running on batteries for years and they're now cheap enough to buy new.
    The problem is that while ever you have grid connection you're paying for the connection, the electricity is essentially free.

It's one of the energy proposals I think should be enacted. No connection fees. The power companies have to supply power at a floating $/kWhr price and only that price, not other fees or charges. And the price of electricity will be a national price. So if it is 35c/kWhr in Melbourne then it is the same price in Darwin.

Next is the price can be changed on the fly. Smart meters should not be working for the power companies, they should be working for the person they are metering.
    So the feed in price should be fixed as a percentage of the retail price. Something like 30%. So if the retail price is 40c/kWhr then if you feed in they must pay you 13.3c/kwhr for any power you can push to the network.

You can see there are all kinds of problems this causes but it rewards power production and punishes it's use. If you're a coal power producer then the wild power cycles are your problem, not the grid's problem. If you can't cycle up and down to meet demand then it isn't my problem. Solve your own problem. If you're a wind producer and the wind doesn't blow, again. Not my problem.
    But, if the grid swings wildyand the prices follow. Coal will have to give it's power away for free during the day. But at night, solar can't match it, so coal will now charge you $3/kWhr and you'll have to pay for it. It's not their problem, they solved their problem by capitalising on your problem. BUT... it's mot easy street for them. If the retil price is $3, your feed in is $1/kwhr at 10pm in July. If you're plying the market, then this makes investing in batteries very worthwhile. If you can feed into the frid at 10pm nd charge your batteries for free on solar, then you have a clear profit.
    But it gets better. The government can remove the subsidies for solar panels and put them on batteries. If you own an apartment in Bondi you might not have room for solar on your tiny roof. But if you have a spare cupboard you can buy and sell electricity to the grid. Buy that free coal day time electricity and sell it at night for $1/kwhr.

There are so many easy ways to fulfill the green dream, but they're not interested in them if there is profit to be made doing it.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

ammlione (07-11-20)