Thread: Powerline conditioning

Thanks

Default Powerline conditioning

I have a problem with noise getting into the sound on TV programs that I'm replaying from my PVR. This is worse during the late afternoon.

I assume that it is coming in via the powerline, probably when the powerline load is increasing and solar power inverters are delivering some of the extra power.

My assumption is that there are solar inverters producing a square wave output because the sound I hear is 50hz but rich in harmonics. Only assumed because of what I hear and I have no access to any test equipment, save for a multimeter, these days.

My guess is that the filtering in the power supply of the PVR leaves a lot to be desired but short of designing and building a new power supply for the PVR, I was wondering if powerline conditioning might do the trick?

My search came up with powerline conditioner on the Enjoy Music site. see

Not sure about the availability of parts here in Australia or if the device will achieve what I desire.

I'm seeking advice from others who have experienced this problem and achieved a satisfactory solution, to offer some advice, please.
    Last edited by RogerTheDoger; 06-11-20 at 01:56 AM.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Is the noise on the recordings, or just the speakers?

What type of audio cables are used... RCA, HDMI?

Many noise issues are due to poor quality cables.

Ferrite torroids or clamp-on types often solve such issues.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Sound sample of the noise would help

Thanks

It may be coming from the PVR. Does it use an external power supply that you can swap out?
    Don't worry, it only seems kinky the first time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RogerTheDoger View Post

My assumption is that there are solar inverters producing a square wave output because the sound I hear is 50hz but rich in harmonics. Only assumed because of what I hear and I have no access to any test equipment, save for a multimeter, these days.
    No Approved OEM GTI is Square wave. I believe it would be technically impossible.

The best and Cheapest filtering would be an online/ line active UPS. The type that keep the battery engaged at all times. The basically have a charger and an inverter running all the time. The battery is the filter/ suppressor and a very good one.
    Many line conditioners are a waste of time unless they are very expensive.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, no the noise is not recorded, copying a file to a USB and playing on my sons same brand PVR the sound is clear. RCA cables are used to connect to the TV. HDMI connection was good but does not work on this new TV, it did on the old TV. I'll get a clamp on toroid for the PVR power input.

I'll try and get a sample tomorrow afternoon. This is the time of day when the noise is worse. The sound is 50Hz but rich in harmonics.

The PVR has an internal power supply.

Thanks for the information and suggestion George, I only thought solar inverters because of the time of day the noise is worse. Yes a UPS may prove effective. I see the local Office Works has several in stock, buying there is good because they happily take back any purchase that doesn't achieve the desired result.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Make SURE you get a Line active/ Online Type. These are the ones that keep the battery engaged all the time. The others merely pass the AC straight though unless it goes out of range of Voltage or Frequency.
    These will be useless for your needs.

The Online typre are more exy as they are are much better unit and the only ones that will work for your purpose.
    One way to often tell if they are online/ Line active ( NOT line INTERactive) is they will cold Boot. IE start up on their own without being plugged in. If it will do that it's what you want. If not, It's probably the line Interactive type which is no good to you.

A line interactive Type would at least tell you if it is the mains power when you were running of the inverter. If no noise, it's the mains. If the noise continues, it's something else. That would only be useful when the unit was unplugged and running off internal battery therefore isolated from the mains.