Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nucleur option no go

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Default Nucleur option no go

Am getting bored with the Trump v's Biden debate so i thought i would throw this in for the Luddites

The Victorian Government has said no to Nuclear Power

The site is a Solar /Wind fan boy, copy and paste site, but i agree that Nuclear Power died the day Fukushima exploded

Looking forward to a great debate!
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,228 Times in 582 Posts

I believe we all should have a miniature nuclear reactor in our homes.. Once Bob Lazar hands over Element 115, (allegedly, he has in hiding.)
    We could all have Free power.

ATM, Nuclear power: - Expensive, risky and unnecessary. It's SoOoo yesterday technology.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Johnno View Post
    It's SoOoo yesterday technology.
    Not as yesterday as driving with ICEs and burning coal.

But I agree it is these days unnecessary and not worth all the risks if it became a mainstream approach.
    Ppl having mini reactors in their homes means an easy way to accumulate material to create dirty bombs.

I think batteries are a better option.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

Not when using Element 115. Anyway, That's another story for another day.

Yes, Batteries. The technology is getting better. Maybe it's ok for the home, but Not for commercial use just yet.
    Last edited by Johnno; 27-11-20 at 10:42 AM.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

Nuclear should still be an option in some areas. Fukushima was only a problem because of its location. i.e. too close to the open sea and, therefore, subject to inundation by the sea in the event of Tsunami. The west coast of Japan would have been way safer. There would have been less opportunity for a tidal surge on the west coast. In Oz we could easily have nuclear reactors supplying our power because there are many areas that are protected from the open ocean and potential tsunami inundation. We also have a relatively stable government and population. Regulation would also keep us relatively safe from Chernobyl type experiences. Given the vast uninhabited (relatively) places in Oz we could easily set up in a area that could provide cheap power with little risk to the majority of the populace,
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,960 Times in 1,525 Posts

I'll be dead before they make up their minds and do anything - they will do whatever they want anyhow =)

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

eaglem (28-11-20),enf (27-11-20)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,062 Times in 9,090 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Nuclear should still be an option in some areas. Fukushima was only a problem because of its location. i.e. too close to the open sea and, therefore, subject to inundation by the sea in the event of Tsunami. The west coast of Japan would have been way safer. There would have been less opportunity for a tidal surge on the west coast. In Oz we could easily have nuclear reactors supplying our power because there are many areas that are protected from the open ocean and potential tsunami inundation. We also have a relatively stable government and population. Regulation would also keep us relatively safe from Chernobyl type experiences. Given the vast uninhabited (relatively) places in Oz we could easily set up in a area that could provide cheap power with little risk to the majority of the populace,
    The site was fine IIRC. As far as I read it was the site of the backup power that was the problem. It was in the same location, whereas it should have been remote in the mountains. Had the backup power not been inundated it would have done exactly as it was supposed to do and safely shut things down.

Unlike the luminaries here, I could be wrong of course, but that's what I remember reading....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks

3 huge reactors around Australia, away from the coast in unpopulated areas for security and safety reasons but with a pipeline from the coast for water for cooling that can then be desalinated using excess power from the plant.

• The Following User Says Thank You to RogerTheDoger For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (27-11-20)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RogerTheDoger View Post
    3 huge reactors around Australia, away from the coast in unpopulated areas for security and safety reasons but with a pipeline from the coast for water for cooling that can then be desalinated using excess power from the plant.
    It wouldn't matter if it was a good idea, the green religion wouldn't allow it even if it meant freezing in the dark....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

eaglem (28-11-20),wotnot (27-11-20)

Thanks

If we believe our regulations keep the nuclear power relatively safe (not sure how much certainty in the relativity is) then we can install them in not too remote areas. Power distribution is very costly and will negate the benefits of having nuclear as a cheap source of energy.
    If there is a disaster similar to Chernobyl happens then no matter how far the nuclear station is. In a couple of days radiation level will be much higher than considered as safe everywhere along Australian costs.
    Don't forget pollution damage caused to the environment.

I came to Australia from the place about 600 kms away from Chernobyl. The radiation level after the accident went pretty high in 24 hours but authorities didn't publish the actual level - just recommended people to avoid being outside under the sky. Only places were people were evacuated from had the radiation levels published.
    The area near Chernobyl is still deserted. People, who are brave enough going to the area looking for mushrooms and wild berries which are plenty in the area. Radiation level is still high there and it promotes the vegetation growth. That is scary if you ask me.

That concrete pillow above the failed reactor is leaking radiation constantly with radiation level received in 1 minute is lethal for people.

So enough about the danger - I think everyone recognises it.

In my opinion nuclear power is great in terms of efficiency, cost etc but safety aspects cannot be disregarded. I do not consider myself Greens supporter but in this case I would agree with one point, the nuclear power is not ready yet for commercial production unless we have proven safe technology. Especially focusing on our ability to control the chain reaction. Until we learn how to control it all other methods used to contain the power will have a level of uncertainty. Once we learn how to effectively stop the chain reaction which already started then we can have much safer nuclear stations in operation.

• The Following User Says Thank You to fromaron For This Useful Post:

Johnno (27-11-20)

Thanks

Nuclear power stations are not appropriate for Australia, IMHO. Nuclear stations run on Uranium, which is not “renewable”.
    AND is a finite resource just like coal or gas, unlike the wind and the sun, which are infinitely renewable. /Just saying
    Last edited by Johnno; 27-11-20 at 05:39 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,960 Times in 1,525 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    It wouldn't matter if it was a good idea, the green religion wouldn't allow it even if it meant freezing in the dark....
    LOL!.... I found an abandoned patent application for the green squad -->

Thanks

There are some really interesting new designs for nuclear reactors that appear to be inherently safe. There isn’t a failure mode that can result in sudden release of radiation or explosions - if there is a loss of coolant, the reaction simply stops. Pretty amazing stuff and a fairly simple design as well.

The big problem that isn’t going away is “what to do with the waste”. All sorts of solutions have been found to the problem, but the NIMBYs won’t have it. Nobody wants the nuclear waste in their backyard... even if their “backyard” is bazillions of square kilometers of otherwise useless desert!

• The Following User Says Thank You to shred For This Useful Post:

Johnno (27-11-20)

Premium Member

Thanks

Remember a number of years ago some one was proposing a world uranium disposal site, am sure it was in central S.A where the most stable land deposits in the world exist. It stood to make Australia Billions and as a of centeralist type guy, i was all for it
    They were going to deposit it in old mine shafts and back fill them with concrete But you can guess what happened

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

We have heaps of Uranium in Australia. We have practically every element you want, just have to scrape it out of the ground, which is our specialty.
    Problem is processing the elements to an industry usable form.
    The newest fad are IOCG deposits, currently big in SA. I recently bought a bunch of TAS penny shares because FMG is drilling there for them.
    It is short for Iron Oxide Copper Gold deposits but they carefully omitted in that acronym that Uranium is found there also.

So we might end up with a lot of this stuff and won't know what to do with it.

Shred, Breeder reactors are 100 times more efficient compared to conventional thus reducing the waste 100 fold and that waste also relatively quickly decays, few 100 years opposed to 100,000 years.
    This breeder concept is also considered very safe:

In the end it would all come down to the cost !

But by the time they would have this perfected, high density batteries will be available for cheap and other energy storage systems.
    And don't think this is about household batteries.
    Power storage systems that power whole cities are already in use and growing. It is currently about peak power demand management but this will not be about the little Li-Ions found in EVs.

FMG's Andrew(Twiggy) Forrest will become the Aussie Elon Musk, watch that space. He new projects will be the killer of all discussions about the need for nuclear power but they go beyond the scope of this thread.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 27-11-20 at 09:23 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member
    Thanks

lucas heights?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post

FMG's Andrew(Twiggy) Forrest will become the Aussie Elon Musk, watch that space. He new projects will be the killer of all discussions about the need for nuclear power but they go beyond the scope of this thread.
    Twiggy Forrest? Could be, but he'd sell it and this country to his mates in China.....a greedy traitor in my view....

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

eaglem (28-11-20)

Thanks

Twiggy Forrest? Could be, but he'd sell it and this country to his mates in China.....a greedy traitor in my view....
    That is a very unfair, incorrect and biased claim. You sound like Trump

He has contributed more than any other billionaire to the well being of Australia.

He buys up formerly Australian companies from overseas owners so they become Australian again.
    Just because he is earning a motza with iron ore (purely from dividends of his own shares which he buys, he takes no remuneration) doesn't mean he is cozying up with China.
    We have only become enemies with China since Scomo said something stupid in haste on his own without consulting all the others involved.
    Twiggy couldn't have known that. Do you expect he should suddenly shut down all his iron ore exports and just go broke because of Scomo's stupidity?
    Our iron ore exports are one of the only lifelines our economy has left!

Twiggy is so far ahead, you right wingers simply don't get it.
    His proposed efforts also do involve other countries, like our neighbour PNG but that is all evidence that he wants to become independent from China.
    He is not stupid. He knows China's hunger for our iron will not be forever, that is why he is diversifying like crazy.
    He is travelling the world buying up patents and IP for renewable energy, that means Australia could become the number one world player in the biggest economy we will have in a few years.
    He won't need China, when he will have the monopoly and be creating 5 times the energy entire Australia needs.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 28-11-20 at 10:13 AM.

Premium Member

Thanks

Just curious why you state this, can you elaborate

Twiggy is in cohorts with Cannon-Brooks (?) think i got the name right, another self made billionaire in the export of electricity to Singapore
    Every thing i have read re Cannon-Brooks is that he has a conscience and loyalty to Australia
    Personally if any thing is Australian financed and developed, i am all for it, i hope they become Trillionaires as long as the masses don't suffer, sound like a communist, raise the red flag, onwards comrades, we will take over Austech from these right wing radicals
    Last edited by allover; 28-11-20 at 11:00 AM.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

thanks wotnot LOL!.... I found an abandoned patent application for the green squad -->
    now this is a great idea as we can eat them after they have been used / recycle them yah !!!!!

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast