Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newcastle Stolen Audi R8 Joyride

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,965 Times in 9,060 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bob_m_54 View Post
    Dunno whether it's half the time, but when being pursued at high speed, they invariably keep going till they do prang. Better to back off even if they get away, than have them wipe out a family or whatever.
    I understand where you are coming from, but given that they often kill people anyway, aren't you just giving them free reign to do that?

As a citizen, I feel obliged to allow the police to catch them if possible. I'll take the risk. Given that a high speed vehicle is as dangerous as an automatic firearm, they should be charged accordingly and punished with more than a slap.

Just my opinion.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    I understand where you are coming from, but given that they often kill people anyway, aren't you just giving them free reign to do that?

As a citizen, I feel obliged to allow the police to catch them if possible. I'll take the risk. Given that a high speed vehicle is as dangerous as an automatic firearm, they should be charged accordingly and punished with more than a slap.

Just my opinion.
    I understand what you're saying, but isn't the criminal more likely to endanger other people's lives if he is trying to escape a police pursuit at high speed? But it all depends on the circumstances. The dickhead in the story was going to drive like an idiot anyway, and even though the police were looking for him (can hear their sirens in some parts of the clip), it wasn't really a pursuit, as such.

But in general, the crim would be more likely to take risks, with little to no regard for others, which can be and sometimes is disastrous if it takes place in a built up area. It's a hard question which probably should be left up to the only person who can make an accurate assessment of the situation at the time... The copper in the driver seat.

And I completely agree that crims, putting lives at risk through that sort of behaviour, should be treated the same as any criminal behaviour with any deadly weapon.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob_m_54 For This Useful Post:

gulliver (31-12-20),tristen (01-01-21)

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12